Quantcast
$30 barrel oil? - Page 64 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 64 of 81 FirstFirst ... 54 63 64 65 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1615

Thread: $30 barrel oil?

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think you understand the leftist delusion that is taking place in Ontario and Quebec - and how much they despise AB. There is a LOT of downside for them appearing to work with AB.

Their elected leaders will actively cheer at the demise of Ab and the federal liberals will claim a 'green victory' (or some other horseshit phrase) in Canada as now we can meet some Co2 target. This will serve to please QC and Ontario - short term only.
    They don't have to appear to be working with Alberta just because they followed basic due process and approved a project the same they would anywhere else in Canada. Which is again, completely besides the point. Where are all these votes going to swing to if the Liberals approve an Alberta project? Are these mythical voters that only live to hate the west you're referring to, that have the power/numbers to swing an election, going to start voting Conservative which will get even more work moving in Alberta?

This is all a little rhetorical. The Liberals petty actions of trying to separate the country and pit the east vs the west did not go unnoticed. They lost the popular vote, and the only way they even held on to a minority government was through Toronto having way more seats than they should. Plain and simple, this fight against the west under the guise of climate change is not politically palatable.

https://static.solarmarket.com.au/wp...solar-cost.jpg

If there as a will, Alberta and Sask could probably start thinking about photoelectric for supplemental heating. Heating is literally the easiest thing for an electrical system, as well as small scale cooling (burn coal in a power plant to convert to electricity so that you can run your air conditioner, so you might as well just go right for the electricity to start with) What really needs to be mass produced is a 1,500 watt air conditioner that runs on 12 to 48 Volt DC that is tolerant of variable wattage.

It would have been crazy to talk about photoelectric in terms of MMBTU fifteen years ago, but now its definitely competitive if not verging on superior.

Thinking of it like: Its the sun that totally determines how cold the winter is or how hot the summer is anyhow. Might as well capture some of it. We in Canada have a small opportunity as the USA placed a 25% tariff on Chinese panels, for obvious reasons to maintain revenue from their oil patents (including autos)

I would say that Canada should be fully prepared to jump both feet if/when any country in Europe has a mass death from heatstroke and it is mandated or risk of physical conflict.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-13-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So I had a thought.... what do you think of this? I know people generally just want the government to stay out of private industry but thought this might actually work.

• Teck mine - 20B project and provides 50B in royalties to the AB government over it's lifetime (estimates but lets use them)
    • AB announced a renewable credit program where if O&G companies build a large project they can get a royalty credit if they build a renewable sister project (not necessarily at the same location)
    • Teck builds a 1B solar farm in southern Canada as part of the program. AB government basically give's them 1B in royalty credits over the first 5 years of the mine running to offset the cost. So Teck more or less builds it for near zero cost (interest only basically)
    • AB gov't can basically turn to the federal government and push that if they cancel the mine they are also cancelling a shift to renewable energies and then basically push that Trudeau is preventing us from diversifying

In the end AB gives up 1B of 50B in royalties but if it helps push the project through versus getting cancelled it could be a good investment. The east gets their virtue signalling that things are becoming more green and Teck gets a solar farm that they can help use to market they are moving forwards carbon neutral or whatever they wanna say they are aiming for. It also creates an additional construction project which means more jobs.

I think it's a good idea ... and probably will actually help more than the corporate tax cuts.

Why bother? Just sequester CO2. The technology is now proven and it's getting cheaper all the time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    So I had a thought.... what do you think of this? I know people generally just want the government to stay out of private industry but thought this might actually work.

• Teck mine - 20B project and provides 50B in royalties to the AB government over it's lifetime (estimates but lets use them)
    • AB announced a renewable credit program where if O&G companies build a large project they can get a royalty credit if they build a renewable sister project (not necessarily at the same location)
    • Teck builds a 1B solar farm in southern Canada as part of the program. AB government basically give's them 1B in royalty credits over the first 5 years of the mine running to offset the cost. So Teck more or less builds it for near zero cost (interest only basically)
    • AB gov't can basically turn to the federal government and push that if they cancel the mine they are also cancelling a shift to renewable energies and then basically push that Trudeau is preventing us from diversifying

In the end AB gives up 1B of 50B in royalties but if it helps push the project through versus getting cancelled it could be a good investment. The east gets their virtue signalling that things are becoming more green and Teck gets a solar farm that they can help use to market they are moving forwards carbon neutral or whatever they wanna say they are aiming for.
    That doesn't solve the problem that people in the east are worried about.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That doesn't solve the problem that people in the east are worried about.
    It does though. Their main concern is climate change, so if you tie the project to green initiatives and push that it's offsetting emissions and such then they can sleep better at night.

I'm not necessarily saying it'd work for sure ... but I think it'd make it easier for the politicians to justify letting it go ahead to spin it that it's making for a greener future. Don't matter what the average joe out east thinks, it just has to leverage things enough that politicians will let it go through.

They already want it for the revenue but are probably worried about optics for re-election if they pass it. This gives them a spin to say it's more environmentally friendly.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Where are all these votes going to swing to if the Liberals approve an Alberta project?
    The eastern voters will either not vote or push the NDP back in, as a protest vote. Not too different that what happened in AB with the lame PC party and their 'look in the mirror' comments.

My point is that the fliberals will definitely lose votes in the east if they, even have the appearance of, working with AB to produce more toxic Co2.

Its so deluded and fucked up politically that NFLD can have all these energy massive projects, but because they are not AB, the fliberals are OK with it.

AB does NOT have a 'social license' apparently - Notley tried though - and this is something a lot of Albertans dont understand.

Its not about common sense anymore, its about optics.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    It does though. Their main concern is climate change.
    Maybe I'm out of touch, but I don't think that's true.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Lisa Raitt came out and said one of the main reasons she (and the CPC) lost in the 905 was because they didn't have a sellable climate plan. People in Quebec are all over it. Places in the Maritimes are voting Green.

It might not be the main concern, but it's definitely one of their main concerns.

Not so much out of touch as just insulated. I had this argument with an Albertan a while back when the BC elections were happening and the NDP candidate blamed global warming for a lot of the fires ravaging Northern BC and Alberta. He honestly thought it could cost him the election as people would be outraged that he would 'politicize' the tragedy. But realistically the average BC person, especially in the vote-heavy city regions, agrees with the assessment that global warming is real and contributable to CO2 and is not a political strategy, it's just an accepted fact. Since then he's been in college in Vancouver and has given up all hope of the rest of Canada coming around to his way of thinking about the issue.

Don't believe the hype that Beyonders and Calgary O&G people try to sell about some sinister motives on the behalf of the average Canadian voter. Any motivation to spite Albertans would be secondary at best, frankly if global warming wasn't a concern the average voter wouldn't think about Alberta at all
    Last edited by Antonito; 02-13-2020 at 12:52 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I fully admit to being out of touch with the avererage voters anywhere outside of Calgary.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    . Any motivation to spite Albertans would be secondary at best,l
    Does NFLD have a 'social license' to have their energy sector being approved and upgraded? I dont see any 'dirty oil' protests there. Oil is oil, whether or not it comes from sand or sediment underground.

What I see is specifically a double standard for Alberta energy, compared to the rest of Canada and their energy projects.

Ask a Canadian where their oil comes from and they'll tell you a gas station. If you ask them to think harder they'll probably say Alberta. The only people who know newfoundland is involved in oil are the Newfoundlanders that work there and Albertans that are mad about it.

Without some sad photos of dead geese and David Suzuki on the job to mug for attention, I doubt that'll change. Also I have no idea how, but they seem to have steered clear of the native population there

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

So many infographs, so little time:
    https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-data...facts/20064#L6

Name:  production-by-province-2019.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  34.2 KB

Man that picture sucks linking it through here.

Anyways up to 2018, NWFLD had produced 1.9 Billion Barrels:

https://www.gov.nl.ca/nr/files/publi...ngfieldsum.pdf
    Last edited by msommers; 02-13-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Why bother? Just sequester CO2. The technology is now proven and it's getting cheaper all the time.
    Yes it is crazy to think we would start sucking the base molecule of the food chain out of the atmosphere. But these lefties don't understand much about science. So fuck it, that should be a simple part of the approval process if their true goal is CO2 reduction. Just make business build a capture plant right along side their project. Problem solved right.

100% agreed. That's why I was trying to expand on what Revelations was talking about.

Yes it is crazy to think we would start sucking the base molecule of the food chain out of the atmosphere. But these lefties don't understand much about science. So fuck it, that should be a simple part of the approval process if their true goal is CO2 reduction. Just make business build a capture plant right along side their project. Problem solved right.
    I really have no idea if you're being sarcastic or whatever, but there are already carbon negative oil extraction projects, because they inject CO2 back into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I really have no idea if you're being sarcastic or whatever, but there are already carbon negative oil extraction projects, because they inject CO2 back into the ground.
    Part sarcastic, part serious. Removing CO2 from the air certainly doesn't seem to have any real effect on the environment from a scientific standpoint. But like you said, we have proven we can accomplish CO2 capture. So if that is the main issue the government has, than why don't we just start adding CO2 capture to every project and then rubber stamping them?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Part sarcastic, part serious. Removing CO2 from the air certainly doesn't seem to have any real effect on the environment from a scientific standpoint. But like you said, we have proven we can accomplish CO2 capture. So if that is the main issue the government has, than why don't we just start adding CO2 capture to every project and then rubber stamping them?
    Not quite there for cost. In 5 years I expect just that though.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Any one else very interested in Trudeau bandying about Senegal, a country that has outlawed homosexuality, promising to help them foster their oil and gas sector to buy him a useless UN Security Council seat...

What the actual fuck?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride

Any one else very interested in Trudeau bandying about Senegal, a country that has outlawed homosexuality, promising to help them foster their oil and gas sector to buy him a useless UN Security Council seat...

What the actual fuck?
    Its like its fucking theater - and its all satire. Makes zero sense.

Hes just in it for himself.

Page 64 of 81 FirstFirst ... 54 63 64 65 74 ... LastLast