Quantcast
Woman with prosthetic leg is NOT handicapped... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Woman with prosthetic leg is NOT handicapped...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    I suppose. But my original intent in posting this was not to discuss the rules but the pitfalls of prejudging people who park in handicapped stalls.
    For example, this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=383650
    Some people are too quick to judge and to form a lynch mob.
    you just ignore them... i've been living with chronic pain for 8 years, no one would know by looking at me. they can pass whatever judgment they want. the people in my life that matter know the truth and thats all that matters

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I don't disagree with the note poster.

Really, if she can get out of the car and walk around totally normally, she clearly doesn't need to park in the handicap spot. It is better left for people who have mobility problems.
    I don't really think that's for you to say, though.

People with prosthetics often find it difficult to walk, especially without the luxury of neurosensory feedback that non-handicapped people have.

Plus, it's not as if you stayed behind to make sure that another person rolled up and found themselves lacking a handicapped spot before you make that indictment.

Handicaps show themselves in more ways than one, and for someone to make a snap judgement like that seems very ignorant and unsympathetic.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I know people who have placards and it is often not very obvious what their reasoning is for having them.

Went to a drag race on Van Isl. 5-6 years back with my uncle ( who is disabled form a motorcycle accident 25 years ago), lives with chronic pain and can barely walk.

We parked in handicapped parking as he had a placard. Now my uncle doesn't necessarily make life easy for himself by driving a heavily lifted diesel truck but whatever that's his decision. Anyhow some busybody guy decides to come out and start calling my uncle out on parking in handicapped and giving him a lecture about it.

He ended up dropping his pants to show the busy body his mangled leg ( while also asking if he wanted to be given on to match ). My uncle had a couple big buddies with him too who weren't having any of this BS.

They guy got in his car and actually left the event after having a crowd of people chew him out after that.

tl:dr

Mind your own business about people with disabilities because nothing you do or say is going to have a positive outcome.

Better to park at the back of the lot anyhow. Less door dings.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by killramos

tl:dr

Mind your own business about people with disabilities because nothing you do or say is going to have a positive outcome.

Better to park at the back of the lot anyhow. Less door dings.
    This.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    ^^ Still... if she is having a day where she is completely fine, then maybe she should leave the spot for somebody who really needs it?

Sure it is nice that you get to park at the front, but the intent of those spots is for people who are having a tough time getting in and out of the car.
    One of the most ignorant comments I have read on here.

Doctors decide If a person is eligible to use a handicap stall not some asshat with no idea why he/she has it.

Most people that have those placards, my Fiance included would give them up in a second if it meant curing their ailment.

If they have the placards its for a reason.

My Ride
    Modded junk

Originally posted by austic

One of the most ignorant comments I have read on here.

Doctors decide If a person is eligible to use a handicap stall not some asshat with no idea why he/she has it.

Most people that have those placards, my Fiance included would give them up in a second if it meant curing their ailment.

If they have the placards its for a reason.
    I think his comment was more along the lines of placard holders self-policing when using the cards. ie. using the placard only when needed, not every time they park.

Which I'm sure is already the case for a lot of people who have them.

My Ride
    2008 Impreza WRX

^ Yup -- I don't know how some people think you get a placard. They seem to think you find them at the bottom of a cereal box or something
    Last edited by ZedMan; 04-13-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 01:27 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Here is another way to look at this. By confronting someone like this you are, arguably especially if you are wrong, committing an act of harassment.

If they are misusing a parking placard? A parking violation, MAYBE a tow.

Which do you think is the worse act?

edit: as a note I'm not trying to call anyone out here specifically but providing some depth to the conversation.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

How is this an issue? I can't think of a single time I have ever seen more than 1 or 2 handicap spots occupied, and there is usually WAY more spots than necessary. I just mind my own business and don't pay much attention to people using Handicap spots, if they have a card, who cares.

Then again I purposely park as far away as I can, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask

Here's another thing to consider the next time you want to publicly shame someone that YOU think shouldn't be using that spot, even if there is a card displayed.

My friend has a disabled 20 year old daughter who can barely walk 100 yards on her own. He will often take her places that have handicapped parking, and then leave her there. Doctors office, Dentist, hell even the Chinook bowling lanes. He might go do some shopping on his own, maybe even take the truck out and then come back to pick her up. He uses those spots so he can easily help her back into the truck.

So you might see him, a big strong able bodied man, step out of his handicapped card carrying vehicle and mightily walk into the mall...but you don't see him walk back out with his daughter.

If I see a placard hanging, I don't question it's user. If I see a car parking there WITHOUT a card...damn rights I'll say something.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Here's another thing to consider the next time you want to publicly shame someone that YOU think shouldn't be using that spot, even if there is a card displayed.

My friend has a disabled 20 year old daughter who can barely walk 100 yards on her own. He will often take her places that have handicapped parking, and then leave her there. Doctors office, Dentist, hell even the Chinook bowling lanes. He might go do some shopping on his own, maybe even take the truck out and then come back to pick her up. He uses those spots so he can easily help her back into the truck.

So you might see him, a big strong able bodied man, step out of his handicapped card carrying vehicle and mightily walk into the mall...but you don't see him walk back out with his daughter.

If I see a placard hanging, I don't question it's user. If I see a car parking there WITHOUT a card...damn rights I'll say something.
    Agree completely. I grew up with a severely disabled sister, and just because she wasn't with me the instant I left or got back to the car, doesn't mean I didn't need the space.

If I would trust any group of people to self-police, it would be the people who legitimately park in handi spots.

Like Dave says, and he is spot on here. Also, you can have more than a physical reason to have the handicap parking tag and parking spot. People with heart conditions and the like also qualify for the tag.

Whenever I am with someone who is bitching about all the "empty handicap parking spots", I tell them that one day real soon, if there is a God they too can get a handicap parking permit. Happy now you able fucking loser?

If someone is parked in a parking spot for the handicapped, as long as they have a tag allowing for the access, it is all good and mind your own business. On the other hand, if you see someone without the tag, report the vehicle.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 04-13-2015 at 12:24 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing

I feel bad for people who have a legit need for it, but don't show outward signs of being disabled. It would suck wondering if everytime you park in the spot if there's some ass-hat around who decides to key your car/etc.. to "teach you a lesson"
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Wow.

Such a human atrocity.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 01:27 AM.

I have a permit to park in handicapped parking. If I am having a good day I park in a normal spot, and leave the handicapped parking for someone who is worse than myself. A prosthetic leg can be fine when you get out of the car, but be killing you by the time you return to the car.

However, having an invisible disability is sometimes hard to deal with. People will judge you all the time. Some people live by the " If you aren't bleeding you aren't hurt" philosophy.

I even had one healthy person tell me that another person was more handicapped than I am.

Unless you have a disability, you have no idea how frustrating and limiting it is.

My Ride
    B&W M3

Some people... yikes.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Sort of on topic..... How about handicapped washrooms? I would rather walk a mile uphill both ways than park in a handicapped spot but I have zero issue using a handicap accessible washroom/stall if it's free.

Does that make me a horrible person?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast