Quantcast
What to bring for backpacking across Europe? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What to bring for backpacking across Europe?

RX100 III airmiles deal is gone, they sold out already. That was fast.

My Ride
    Silverado

So I need to actually figure this out now. I have it narrowest down to the rx100iii and the Canon g7 X. The Sony is 900 and the Canon is 670 so substantial difference, unless I factor it in to the cost of the trip.

I have had bad luck with the lens cover on previous canon point and shoots. It seems if you look at them wrong they get stuck. But I do like that it has a touch screen to select focus points. Anyone else have experience with it?

Or do I wait for the DL 24-85? If I recall it should be right in the same price range.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 03-28-2016 at 10:51 PM.

The G7X has a number of complaints right now, including sluggishness, slow AF, defective lens caps, and poor quality lenses. The RX100 III is going to be the better camera. The G7XII was announced to hopefully fix some of these issues, but won't be available until around May, so I'm not sure when your trip is but it sounds like it' soon. Aden Camera has the Sony for $849 if that helps.

The Nikon DL stuff *should* be the new one to beat in the segment (largely due to the AF and UWA option), but you're looking at May/June for those. The DL 24-85 will be $799 CAD so pretty similar ($999 for the 18-50).

If you need something now, I'd get the RX100 III. If you have some time, I'd wait for a Nikon DL and see if it ends up being as good as it is on paper.

My Ride
    Silverado

Leaving May 5th, sounds like the DL is not going to happen.

Yeah most stores are showing the DL availability at June 30th. It might come out sooner but you can't really bank on that.

I'd just get the RX100 III and be done with it if you're leaving in a month, nothing's going to be coming out in the interim. That way you also get a month to familiarize yourself with the camera.

I'm still on the look out for a deal on the RX100 III... don't really want to pay full retail on it. Wish I got it during the air miles deal.

Originally posted by nykz
    I'm still on the look out for a deal on the RX100 III... don't really want to pay full retail on it. Wish I got it during the air miles deal.
    I've seen it go $100 off sometimes but not often (usually Boxing Day / Black Friday type thing). Our shitty dollar isn't helping either. The RX100 series has always managed to maintain a surprisingly high price.

My Ride
    Silverado

So if I'm going on a trip with no computer for 4 weeks with no computer how many memory cards should i bring? probably 1000 pictures a week with a 20mp camera shooting raw?
    Sounds expensive just to load up on SD cards. I will have a tablet but no idea if it can utilize an external hard drive

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

SD cards are cheap these days, and you don't need high speed ones. Lexar 64GB 633x cards are $50 a pop a few of those and you should be set.

On a vacation without a computer I personally will go through and delete shit photographs each night or every few days. Also stick with just RAW and not JPEG + RAW to save an extra 20-30% per file.

My Ride
    Silverado

holy fuck the rx100 m3 is $1000 now. fuck

I think I will have to get the a6000 on sale for 730
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 04-01-2016 at 09:23 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Bough the a6000 at TCS this morning. They were able to price match memex after some discussion.

A good experience as always.

So my Europe trip is coming up in a month, is the Sony Rx100 III still my best bet for compact and easy to use camera? Don't want anything too big, but I read reviews saying battery life is terrible, so I'll probably need an extra battery to be safe. Before I pull the trigger on one just wanted to see if this is still the ideal point and shoot that has decent image quality. Any feedback is appreciated!

Originally posted by nykz
    So my Europe trip is coming up in a month, is the Sony Rx100 III still my best bet for compact and easy to use camera? Don't want anything too big, but I read reviews saying battery life is terrible, so I'll probably need an extra battery to be safe. Before I pull the trigger on one just wanted to see if this is still the ideal point and shoot that has decent image quality. Any feedback is appreciated!
    In the next month, I don't think you will find a better P&S. The Nikon DL series is looking to be the only thing better and they were delayed even further due to the earthquakes and problems with suppliers. I wouldn't expect to see those until Q4. The RX100 III is $200-$300 more than it used to be a few months ago though due to the exchange rate, which is unfortunate. Camera gear is crazy expensive right now.

You can get the RX100 III for 8,900 Airmiles at the moment (they have assigned an $890 value to it), which is comparatively a good deal if you are part of that program.

My Ride
    rally pig

There's a used RX100 Mark II for $450 + tax at The Camera Store, so tempted on grabbing it but waiting for the DLs to come out.
    IMO a really good deal if you don't need EVF and prefer 28-100 vs 24-70 equiv focal length

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3