Quantcast
Almost universal incompetency nowadays?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost universal incompetency nowadays??

My Ride
    93 integra

Default Almost universal incompetency nowadays??

Has anyone noticed that it seems almost everywhere you go now people literally either don't know how to do a proper job or are so stupid they are completely incapable of doing a proper job..

I can't be the only who noticed how bad it's getting. Everything from customer service, to sales, to food/service industry.

Reason I am posting this is we have hired a solid dozen guys in our crew last few months and you have half of them complaining and whining about how they want to go home, tired, working too much and then just stare at the work rather than do any of it expecting things to build themselves and computers to set themselves up by themselves?

Am I the only one getting utterly frustrated at the lack of good workers in their company? It's unreal...

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Not just you, believe me...

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I've worked in small and large shops and I've never seen someone go home tired haha.
    Last edited by AE92_TreunoSC; 04-18-2015 at 02:23 PM.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I know there are lots of people my age that are pretty useless... Looking at younger people it doesn't appear to be improving unfortunately.

I remember some of my highschool jobs... I couldn't believe how useless people could be. I was also amazed at the amount of people that would not show up to work without even a phone call and made up excuse. Just straight up not show and were super shocked when they got fired after doing it many times.
    What are you doing with your life?

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The impression that I get from a lot of these lazy types is that they think "I'm better than this" and will eventually move to something spectacular, like astronaut, where you'll start to care. Seems like fewer and fewer people see the steps of going from 0 -> 100.

Or they're working a job because they need to and know they won't be there long because they have better plans ahead, so who gives a fuck if you fire me. Never understood that though if you have weird gaps in your employment history and you're also not in school.
    Ultracrepidarian

Honestly, this is more an Alberta issue (Calgary even worse) than a general overall issue. I guess you can say it is also happening other places, but here it is worse.

I attribute this to the economy here versus elsewhere. Anyone here is a an extremely competent worker is has a great job and no problem keeping it, which leaves mediocre and shitty employees for the rest. These people can jump around because the need for bodies is there, and they are not worried about keeping a job. I have had people not show up for work for days, only to come in and shrug there shoulders and say "fire me then... I have three other people who will hire me tomorrow".

Back before this effect, we had 5 guys who were professionals in their field training one new guy. Nowadays it is always one guy who "might" know what they are doing trying to train 5 newbies...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Its an AB thing - in the USA people actually care.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by revelations
    Good point
    I noticed this a few years ago when the economy was worse, the McDonalds/food employees in Washington actually valued their job and were much happier to work compared to locals.

It was very weird.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Some sorry tired ass wants to go home, fine get the fuck home. When he shows up the next day ask him why he is there? You fired his ass. Poor employees are like any animal, you need to set the tone, fire a cap in the laziest ass. All the others will fall in line or fall off the company. Either way, works for the manager and company.

I'd say it is poor management skills trying to wrangle poor hiring practices. Managers need to be tuned in just as much as the lower employees in my experience. Half the mid management in any company I've worked in turned out to be a terrible waste of space.

It just gets old my needing to correct businesses and their lazy assed and uninformed employees. Why is it my job to tell a place I giving my money to on what it is they need to do and when to do it? From Safeway to the local pet store I deal with, I see a dozen things they need to change in my first three minutes. No worries, I'll come back in a year when the store is out of business and listen to how there was no market or times are tough or people are cheap. Safeway is safe, for now.

Apply some Game of Thrones management in your business place, it works.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 04-18-2015 at 03:02 PM.

I know of a plant being overhauled.. EVERYTHING is fkd up. Cement poured in wrong spots. Cut grooves for expansion, cut thru infloor heat.. Jack hammer cement out to repair cement, turns out if had filled with water and froze anyways.

Pre made assemblies for catwalks and stuff, wrong sizes, electrical is a disaster. Piping runs into catwalks and utility lines.. etc

This is multi millions to begin with, now with the screwups its unreal.

Alot of it can be traced to guys with only schooling, who think they know what they are doing on a computer, but no idea how to implement things in the real world, throw a curveball at them and they may just cry in front of you.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    Some sorry tired ass wants to go home, fine get the fuck home. When he shows up the next day ask him why he is there? You fired his ass. Poor employees are like any animal, you need to set the tone, fire a cap in the laziest ass. All the others will fall in line or fall off the company. Either way, works for the manager and company.

Apply some Game of Thrones management in your business place, it works.
    This. You guys have far too much patience when it comes to employees. Fuck I just dont have the time or energy to be paying people just to babysit them. There aren't enough hours in a day to have people of that sort working with you.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

This. You guys have far too much patience when it comes to employees. Fuck I just dont have the time or energy to be paying people just to babysit them. There aren't enough hours in a day to have people of that sort working with you.
    Not this guy... lol! I call a spade a spade and send them packing, but by the same token, I take care of good employees better than necessary!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

With so many slackers around, just consider it job security.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    NC1

Or people anywhere else or so it seems!

Kids can't even cross the street here meanwhile in Asia they have no problem riding the Subway.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by tirebob
    Honestly, this is more an Alberta issue (Calgary even worse) than a general overall issue. I guess you can say it is also happening other places, but here it is worse.

I attribute this to the economy here versus elsewhere. Anyone here is a an extremely competent worker is has a great job and no problem keeping it, which leaves mediocre and shitty employees for the rest. These people can jump around because the need for bodies is there, and they are not worried about keeping a job. I have had people not show up for work for days, only to come in and shrug there shoulders and say "fire me then... I have three other people who will hire me tomorrow".

Back before this effect, we had 5 guys who were professionals in their field training one new guy. Nowadays it is always one guy who "might" know what they are doing trying to train 5 newbies...
    I notice a huge difference even when I go back home to the West Coast. And even more so in depressed areas like Vernon, etc. My friend supports his family as a small engine mechanic and he's lucky if he gets $18/hour. And he kisses ASS to keep his job. Doesn't DARE ask for a day off, or come in late. EVER.

Anyone who's grown up in Alberta, who's under the age of 30 has never known what "tough times" are. I don't mean "depression era" tough...I just mean, not able to find a job. For the past 20 or more years it's been easy here.

But it gets harder for an employer the higher up the skill ladder you go. Firing a Tim Horton's worker for being a slacker is easy. Try firing a good tile guy, because he strolls in at 9:30 or 10:00 and then informs you "Oh, btw, I can't work tomorrow, we're going skiing with buddies for a long weekend". You just have so "oh okay..."

I hired a guy in the summer, and started him at $35/hour. After a week he wasn't happy, so I bumped him to $40. Another week he wasn't happy, so I bumped him to piece work where he averaged $50/hour for two weeks. He still wasn't happy. I gave him one last small job to do @ piece-work. He didn't even show up, nor tell me he wasn't going to show up. That particular job was done by another guy who made $80/hr from the rate I paid. The first guy just said "sorry, it's not enough" and walked off on me.

Then I get the other side of the coin, the guy who shows up all eager, does a job and it's so bad he never returns and I spend $1,000 repairing his $500 shower.

My Ride
    93 integra

There's a part of me that has been contemplating moving to the states once done my certificates at u of c...

The people I work with have such piss poor work ethics it's actually hurting my brain...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm not sure how much sense there is in moving countries because your coworkers at one company suck.....

Must have missed the sarcasm...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

This is a trend I see massively in the IT industry. I have been doing work for a very long time within the IT industry and the industry is so flooded with people who have "certificates" or "schooling" but jack shit to back up any of it and then you are always having to fix or deal with their stupid shit.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 01:34 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

I go down to Texas a lot, down there even the people at Wal Mart are happy to be employed most of the time. Go into a restaurant and they're working their ass off for their tips. Here it just sucks.

It's the "special little flower" effect. No one is stupid, they're "non-verbal" or "a gifted learner"...and it's just the rule of cause and effect, if you tell everyone they're awesome at everything they do, and can do ANYTHING they want, but fail to mention that they might just have to work their ass off to do it, you're going to end up with a bunch of self entitled douche bags who don't understand that no, you can't be a fighter pilot with an IQ of 70.

And it goes all the way down...heaven forbid you tell a kid he's not good at math these days, you might hurt their feelings...but here's the problem...if you can't tell them they're bad at math, how are they going to get help with math?
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast