Quantcast
Tesla Megathread (was Just lost $40k USD on Tesla options) - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15

Thread: Tesla Megathread (was Just lost $40k USD on Tesla options)

Originally posted by supe
    This is exactly what I'm saying cars aren't getting any cheaper and efficiency, seriously?
    This, coupled with your misreading of CR, just shows how hard you've fallen back into your old ways. Seriously man, please start ACTUALLY researching these things before you post.

We're in no rush. Nobody's gonna get mad at you for taking your time before replying. All you're doing is discrediting yourself by hastily skimming an article or two and posting the bits that you agree with.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-tha...s-5-8-per-year

Show me similar improvements with ice

I've had zero issues with my Model S however I totally agree that Tesla owners are much more tolerant as a whole than your regular owner. Most of the issues that I've read about are minor. Annoying for a luxury car but minor nonetheless. At one point Tesla did have an issue with bad 12V batteries but it seems to be better now. After reading all the stuff on the forums I felt comfortable enough about reliability to buy one.

As the to whoever it was that said the Model S is overpriced, I completely disagree. It is expensive, sure, but not overpriced. I would not trade my Model S for ANY other car in the world - except a P90D.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by supe
    Show me similar improvements with ice
    Oh Jesus. Read my post which ASKED YOU TO CLARIFY YOUR POSITION again.
    I must be misunderstanding you, because it sounds like you're saying ICE engines haven't gotten cheaper and more efficient recently.
    Now try and tell me how your last post has anything to do with the same conversation.

I am literally the only person in this thread who's throwing you a bone but you're refusing to work with me. If your entire point was that battery technology has advanced faster in the last 3 years than ICE, you failed to convey that. You failed miserably.

Try again. But, for fuck sake, try harder.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

While it doesn't happen here (yet), lineups at the superchargers are pretty common in SoCal. I'm kinda surprised there's no superchargers in Calgary yet.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Originally posted by Mibz
    Oh Jesus. Read my post which ASKED YOU TO CLARIFY YOUR POSITION again. Now try and tell me how your last post has anything to do with the same conversation.

I am literally the only person in this thread who's throwing you a bone but you're refusing to work with me. If your entire point was that battery technology has advanced faster in the last 3 years than ICE, you failed to convey that. You failed miserably.

Try again. But, for fuck sake, try harder.
    Alright here it is... Page 9 and the charts that follow.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs...013_TRENDS.pdf

It shows a rough 1-2 percent increase in both fuel economy and emissions per year over the last decade.

2 things to note is that these numbers include hybrids which should not be included because we're specifically talking engines, second this includes diesel engines and because of recent scandals this may well invalidate the entire report. So as I said, marginal increase.

Now contrast this to the report I linked showing battery advancements at 5-8% a year.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Current CAFE standards is mandating 5% improvement in fuel economy for each brand.

This will increase the amount of Hybrid and EV being offered to offset the V8 trucks being sold.

It will also advance materials used in a vehicle, like the aluminum F150.

As ICE goes, I think we are getting more power from them with less fuel. Take a 1996 Civic vs 2016, we are 70hp/ft/lb more and mileage is actually up 30% as well (33mpg vs 42mpg).

electric combined with solar just makes sense. I'm glad Tesla is pushing us that way but Tesla still doesn't have the know how to make a car last.

Tesla got the drive train and software but they are not every remotely a efficient car builder.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-21-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Aight, I'm done.

You let me know once you're able to understand the difference between "ICE engines have gotten cheaper and more efficient recently" and "ICE engines have gotten cheaper and more efficient at a slower pace than batteries recently".

You can't expect people to have a discussion with you when you ignore and/or miscomprehend their stances, especially after they ask you to clarify yours.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 06:43 PM.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

You let me know once you're able to understand the difference between "ICE engines have gotten cheaper and more efficient recently" and "ICE engines have gotten cheaper and more efficient at a slower pace than batteries recently".

We are in a Tesla thread aren't we???

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Will ICE engines ever get close to the same efficiency as current and future electric engines is the real question. (I think.)
    You can't make that comparison really. For EV's, you have a inefficient energy storage medium with a highly efficient powerplant. For ICE cars, you have a highly efficient energy storage medium with a low efficiency powerplant.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Oh i get it that means everything posted in this thread should have no basis in reality?

That must be where i have been going wrong

What i really want to know is what improvements have been made in the field of external combustion engines. I mean the original pinto was awesome but we should have something new by now!
    Last edited by killramos; 10-21-2015 at 12:53 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Thermal recovery is the next big thing for ICE. Most of the energy loss in in heat, a turbo recovers some of it, but there's still a lot of unused energy that just gets released to the atmosphere.

F1 has proven that there's a lot of efficiency to be gained in thermal recovery. It's too bad that in the real world, that energy would suffer from even more losses because batteries aren't highly efficient. F1 differs in that it directly uses that energy to the motors giving it more power, but we don't drive WOT everyday.

Anyways, this is a Tesla stock thread, FWIW.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    improvements in battery tech will continue to outpace improvements in ICE tech until ICEs are rendered obsolete.
    And literally nobody is refuting this.

Well, maybe killramos. I don't know with him :P

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Well, maybe killramos. I don't know with him :P
    Nahh i have put myself on a self imposed ban about talking about tesla on here ( well maybe that last post was a bit of a slip, to good to pass up). It seems people think i am not bringing anything valuable to the discussion as a whole so why bother.

My disdain is also focused at Tesla (particularly the company), not at EV's in general.

Now i am just making fun of Supe for being an idiot, i don't need to reference Tesla to do that in the last page haha.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Bob Lutz on Tesla's doom, you know the guy that lead GM into bankruptcy, and the the guy who helped create GM's Tesla killer the Volt. Old school thinking to a new age company. Good read none the less.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ob-lutz-tesla/

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15