Quantcast
Anti-harassment team to hit Red Mile Thursday - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-harassment team to hit Red Mile Thursday

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default Anti-harassment team to hit Red Mile Thursday

Young women are mobilizing against what has become a string of sexual harassment and sexually-violent statements against women during post-Flames game celebrations along the Red Mile this week.

The Pussy Cats Consent Awareness Team on the Red Mile will meet Thursday outside Western Canada High School to raise awareness around the issue and prevent further incidents where women have felt sexually-harrassed and physically-endangered by aggressive hockey fans.

Stasha Huntingford, who is organizing the gathering, says women and men will come together and “show our presence,” with signs, wearing paper cat ears, and starting a conversation about consent.

“We as a society need to decide what is acceptable, and this kind of behaviour is not acceptable.

“It’s a very masculine culture along the Red Mile. But we can celebrate hockey without being violent,” she said.

Saima Jamal, who will also be joining, said part of the effort is to prevent a repeat of some of the incidents that became common-place during the Flames 2004 Cup run, when the team reached the Stanley Cup final and thousands of fans converged onto the Red Mile, 17th Avenue S.W., to celebrate game nights.

On many occasions young women unclothed in public, at times at their own choosing, and at other times, saying they felt forced to by a chanting crowd.

“Shirts off for Kiprusoff,” became a popular slogan at the time, playing with the name of then Flames starting goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff.

This week, slogans like “Show Yer Cans for Monahan,” have been seen on posters, playing with the name of star forward Sean Monahan.

But Jamal says it’s critical that similar events not happen again.

“It’s about consent and protecting women who are on the Red Mile,” said Jamal.

“Last time, we had women going down there, and there was an expectation that they take their tops off.

“And if they did, if they felt pressured to, people would just touch them without their consent.”

Huntingford says up to 40 women have committed to come together Thursday in hopes of dozens more joining in, including men, to curb aggressive behaviour on the Red Mile.

Harassment of female TV reporters went viral in January 2014 when John Cain of Cincinnati, Ohio, posted a fake news clip of himself posing as a Fox News reporter.

On that clip the “reporter” doesn’t realize he is on the air and appears to be joking with his anchor about what he would do to a missing young woman if he found her and makes a vulgar reference and gesture.

After that video went viral, Cain created at least two other videos featuring fake live news reports in which a man roughly grabs the microphone from the female “reporter.”

Social media has also lit up in the last few days with several women tweeting that they’ve been victims of harassment and verbal assault.

Last week, a Global Calgary TV reporter was interrupted during a live stand up outside the Ship and Anchor Pub by a male passerby who shouts “F*** her right in the p****. Go, Flames, go.”

Other members of print and television media, including the Herald’s Erika Stark have since confirmed they too have heard the same slur.

People have shared their stories and tried to raise awareness via Twitter with the hashtag #saferedmile.

Calgary Police were not available to provide comment on the incidents Wednesday.
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-mile-thursday
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

On many occasions young women unclothed in public, at times at their own choosing, and at other times, saying they felt forced to by a chanting crowd.
    Gotta love personal accountability, but I guess if you felt forced, that's considered forced now? Maybe people should change the signs and chants to "May you show yer cans for Monahan?"

Also gotta love special interests groups blowing everything out of proportion. While there were chants down at the red mile this week, girls just laughed it off. Nobody was breaking consent. Nobody was unsafe.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

The FHRITP reference caught me off guard, haha.

Originally posted by rage2
    May you show yer cans for Monahan?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Wow. A group to support women with low self esteem.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Ahh... The seedy underbelly of Calgary reveals itself on two key occasions. Play-offs and Stampede.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mibz
    The FHRITP reference caught me off guard, haha.

Maybe tip your cans for m'onahan

My Ride
    Silverado

hahah that was a good old FHRITP comment. Author obviously does not internet.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Last week, a Global Calgary TV reporter was interrupted during a live stand up outside the Ship and Anchor Pub by a male passerby who shouts “F*** her right in the p****. Go, Flames, go.”
    Doesnt get old

Huntingford says up to 40 women have committed to come together Thursday in hopes of dozens more joining in, including men

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

It's an SJW's world now.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It started from here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/04...n_7102470.html

Erika Stark isn't happy about the prank.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model S

Honestly, it would suck to be a girl out there with all these dudes acting like they do after a game, except for the few who like that kind of attention. I doubt there are safety issues though. If anyone grabbed a girl, they'd probably get jumped on by a pack of drunk white knights.

Man, hard to believe that last run was over 10 years ago.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Hahahaha ^^^^ Gold Jerry, GOLD!

A+ reporter, would read article again.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So if i understand this correctly the short of it is there is going to be a group of 40 prudes and their tagalong whipped husbands who are going to wander around the red mile and wave their finger at anyone promoting women's promiscuity?

Where can I watch
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 09:00 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I think they just shouldn't allow women at a men's sporting event or in bars. Or out after dark.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Modded junk

Originally posted by killramos
    So if i understand this correctly the short of it is there is going to be a group of 40 prudes and their tagalong whipped husbands who are going to wander around the red mile and wave their finger at anyone promoting women's promiscuity?

Where can I watch
    Or try to pass out multi-page consent forms to be filled out before a man is allowed to look at a woman.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by googe
    Honestly, it would suck to be a girl out there with all these dudes acting like they do after a game, except for the few who like that kind of attention. I doubt there are safety issues though. If anyone grabbed a girl, they'd probably get jumped on by a pack of drunk white knights.

Man, hard to believe that last run was over 10 years ago.
    I was down there this week after the game, and sure there were some chants, but girls just laughed it off. Nobody was ripping clothes off chicks or anything, just like how nobody did anything like that 10 yrs ago. This whole consent thing is just weird.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

How come when girls show their boobs it's okay and when I whip my dick out it's a crime?

They should be hitting the red mile to protest equality instead

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I think they just shouldn't allow women at a men's sporting event or in bars. Or out after dark.
    I would be satisfied if they stopped allowing them to commentate on sportsnet

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast