Quantcast
Home Ethernet Installation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Ethernet Installation

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Home Ethernet Installation

My home was new, but was away when I could have had it wired. I am now looking to either do this myself or get it done. Basement is currently undeveloped so I am looking to do at least 2 cable drops per room (3 bedrooms upstairs), 2 in family room and then have switches in the basement for router/nas etc.

Would this be easy enough to snake myself or would it be worth it to hire someone. Not really sure of the cost if anyone has any rough ideas or good people to inquire with.

Thanks

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think the cost of paying some oem to do it even with the basement unfinished would be prohibitive. I recomend doing it yourself or finding another solution .

Are your phone lines on cat5e? If so I recommend just swapping some of the plates for Ethernet.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I think the biggest question you should be asking right now is "why do i need multiple drops of catXX cable in every room?"

Its very expensive and wireless technology is becoming quite good. I prewired my home with Cat6 in a similar way and i am using ONE drop to add a wired AP to my top floor. Thats it. I dreamed of a 16x16 matrix running everything under the sun using HDbaseT but i dont see how i could justify $10k on the equipment when wireless telus boxes and a chromecast/plex do everything.

Tell us what you want to accomplish.

My Ride
    Grimace

I am highly considering doing it myself I think since I can get in the ceiling above the garage to two of the bedrooms easily. I also bought a snake thing.

Two per room just so there is access at different sides. I want hard wired just because it is reliable and consistent. Streaming games over wireless AC is not super great currently and also streaming from my NAS. I already have switches for connecting multiple devices in the rooms. I would need a large switch for my basement as my current large switch is 10/100. Then I would move my modem/nases/router to basement. I also need to pull one coax to add cable to the one bedroom without. I also use powerline ethernet but want a straight ethernet setup.
    Last edited by schocker; 04-24-2015 at 02:25 PM.

My Ride
    Trucks

Good choice on doing it right. Wireless sucks for a busy network. I have 2 cables per room, like you, and also have my equipment all together under my breaker panel housed in a nice 2-door 7ft high cabinet from Home Depot.

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by Darell_n
    Good choice on doing it right. Wireless sucks for a busy network. I have 2 cables per room, like you, and also have my equipment all together under my breaker panel housed in a nice 2-door 7ft high cabinet from Home Depot.
    ditto. and you can also add POE cameras to your network while your at it.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Do it!
    Definitely worth wiring. Wireless is great for a laptop/tablet surfing the net, but as soon as you do more data-intensive things, it falls starts to suck.
    If you're doing it yourself it'll be inexpensive enough to really be worthwhile.

Get your connectors and wall plates from Monoprice, they're dirt cheap and good quality.

My Ride
    Grimace

Where do you guys buy your cable? I am guessing I am best off getting a box of 1000ft solid Cat 6?
    More questions, punchdown vs toolless jacks?
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Then I will also get wallplates
    tool
    and gang boxes or perhaps these
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_...seq=1&format=2

also a patch panel I suppose. I have something in my phone box currently with what looks like ethernet but that looks like only for the phone lines. Not sure what to look for in a patch panel, I see that monoprice has many though.
    Last edited by schocker; 04-26-2015 at 09:43 PM.

My Ride
    Ford

you want a switch.
    I use a netgear 24 port. 12 of those being POE to run IP cameras or other POE devices. it was around $300 i believe. had it about a year not a single problem. Set it up. never touched it again.

here is a pic under my stairs of a 1950s house. white cat6 are poe cameras. yellow is wireless router and blue are my runs.
    wifi router, printer and shaw modem visible also.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus

What you can do, if you want to, is look at a Structured Media Enclosure... They are available in a variety of sizes to fit as much equipment as you could want, can be set up to handle your network, cable, security and phone (assuming you still have landline, that is). Yes, shelving from rona will function adequately, but is less than pleasant to look at.

The advantage of the SME, is that should you decide to change something, add something, remove something, switch services, whatever, its all contained inside a single area, which can be adjusted to fit whatever is needed, as well as can be fitted with a door to keep it all nicely hidden. SME's are also designed to look like they belong next to a breaker panel, so they tend to fit well in a basement.

Cat6 would definitely be what you want, as it will support gigabit (10/100/1000) networking. Are you considering running coax for TV as well on those drops? I ask simply for ease of install. You wouldn't have to use them, but they would be there should the need arise.

WoW... my apologies for rambling...
    Cars:
    Tuxedo Black 2012 Ford Focus
    Copper Metallic 1984 Mustang

Originally posted by carson blocks

The Greenpeace chopper runs on smug, harvested from free-range organic grain-fed hippies.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^I see those enclosures. Some seem to be pretty pricey but maybe something like this:
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/seri...-white/902958. Not sure if I have room on the wall though by where the cables come down next to the electrical panel I was figuring I would build some kind of shelving unit to stack for now. I do see that my current phone setup is using one of those telecommunication boxes.
    For now I need to enclose 1x Router, 1x 24 (Probably) Port Switch, 1x Patch Panel if I run patch cables to switch in case I need to move it in the future, 2x Nas. I think my router should give decent enough range from the basement for my phone/laptop otherwise I can use a range extender.

Yes, I am going to run 1x coax also as one of the bedrooms (my tv room) doesn't have cable at all.

I see monoprice on amazon has 1000ft Cat6 for $142 w/ free shipping
    http://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-1000-...ds=cat6+1000ft
    Seems to be good reviews for what I am looking for. Shipping from the actual monoprice along with US$ kills big items like that but I would get my small stuff through them.
    Last edited by schocker; 04-27-2015 at 09:26 AM.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

That structured wiring stuff is pretty, but way too expensive. 5 ports of Ethernet for $40? and it's only CAT5.
    You can get a 24 port CAT6 patch panel for $20.00, buy a 19" wall bracket, and you're done.

My Ride
    2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus

Never said it was cheap, to be fair. But it does function well.

I will admit to forgetting one advantage the enclosure has, which is keeping dirt and dust away from that equipment. I will also admit, however, that it is most likely your NAS wont fit inside any of the enclosures. It will work with your switch, routers, telephone junctions and coax splitters and keep them contained and organised. Oh, and one other advantage to the enclosures, most have a punchout on the bottom, which will fit a double-gang insert, so you can power stuff up, without needing to leave it open.

That all said, there are plenty of people who have gone different routes for mounting up networking equipment, everything from "everything tossed in a box and hope it works" to "full monty home automation" which only beyond ballers can afford.

Couple of things to keep in mind though, mounting stuff vertically as opposed to horizontally can help keep the dust off, especially if your ports are facing down. Most equipment does have provisions for screw mounting, and the stuff that doesnt can still be mounted, just takes alittle fabrication. Oh, and something I didn't even think about until I saw a video on youtube, hot glue can work to attach alot of things together in a semi-permanent way. Just add alittle heat back into it when its time to change, and the glue softens right back up. Oh, and label everything... Knowing what goes where will save you HOURS of frustration and hair-pulling...
    Cars:
    Tuxedo Black 2012 Ford Focus
    Copper Metallic 1984 Mustang

Originally posted by carson blocks

The Greenpeace chopper runs on smug, harvested from free-range organic grain-fed hippies.

My Ride
    Grimace

Yeah, I think I will just get a patch panel for now.

Anyone have input on punchdown vs toolless keystones?
    I think I will start ordering probably next week from monoprice.
    Probably 20x Keystone of either option
    10x wall plates
    10x the simple gang box plastic things. Does anyone know if those meet firecode here?
    Bunch of end connectors to make patch cables
    24port Patch panel
    Punch down/crimping tool
    Then 1000ft Cat6 from amazon, not sure now on stranded vs solid since my runs would only be about 30-40ft max.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by schocker
    Yeah, I think I will just get a patch panel for now.

Anyone have input on punchdown vs toolless keystones?
    Do real punchdowns, more reliable. you'll need a tool for the patch panel, may as well do it right.

Also, it's a pain in the ass making patch cables. Cat6 is harder to work with than 5 was. If you're ordering anyway, buy the patch cables, they're cheap.
    Last edited by The_Penguin; 04-29-2015 at 08:39 PM.

If it'll save you a few bucks, you can borrow my crimper. I also have a cable tester and wire pulling devices that you might need (30ft fishing rod, line detector, cable stripper,etc).

(I believe that you're in Sage Hill, probably a couple of blocks from me?)

PM me if you'd like to borrow them.

My Ride
    Grimace

Alright, thanks for the info, I will get the punchdowns and the tool and then just some short ethernet cables.

Thanks czar, I might take you up on that. I am just south of the ravine in sage.

I was checking out my communications panel this morning. It appears to have 3ethernet running for phone, but they are cat5e but I am hoping I can chase them up. I am confused though because it looks like at least 3x coaxial running up so I wonder once I get into the garage attic if I will find one ready to go into my other bedroom.

My Ride
    Grimace

I was taking a look above the garage and it looks like I don't have as much room to work in as I thought
    I will have to do some measuring and better planning and sketch it all out.

Does anyone have any input on running it near power lines in the house? Is that going to cause interference if I have no other path to take?

My Ride
    WK2

I think it's best to avoid running parallel with power, but if you cross power perpendicular, it shouldn't cause any noticeable issues.

My Ride
    12 audi a5

Definitely go with the punch down tool.

If you have extra pc's or if you want to build a reliable nas for cheap you can use unraid. You can get a bunch of 3rd party apps that integrate right into the system like sick beard, plex, crash plan etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast