Quantcast
GM Uses Stereotypes to sell products - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Uses Stereotypes to sell products

My Ride
    Has AWD

Default GM Uses Stereotypes to sell products

What does beyond think about using stereotypes to sell products? How is stereotyping any different than racism? How is it right to allow big companies like GM to advertise their products this way?

My Ride
    Lease

Real men drive full size trucks. So are the new 2015/2016 Canyon/Colorado targeted to the same "men" who all bought the previous gen Canyons?

Last edited by TomcoPDR; 04-24-2015 at 07:59 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I would take a fully loaded Colorado if they are priced like a Corolla.

Given the poor sales number, I'm sure their price will drop soon.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

All of GM's ads are insulting to the average viewers intelligence in my opinion. It might work in the midwest and the dirty south but I like to think people are unlikely to fall for the stupid tactics GM is using.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Im more offended by them claiming their interiors are on par with luxury companies

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    All of GM's ads are insulting to the average viewers intelligence in my opinion. It might work in the midwest and the dirty south but I like to think people are unlikely to fall for the stupid tactics GM is using.
    The number of their vehicles on the road up here says otherwise.......its as if GM knows ppl will still buy their product even after causing loss of life, multiple times, each time the company was too greedy to fix the problems. They get taken to court for it, and ultimately got a slap on the wrist. They can insult their customers and ppl still flock to them.........where does it end? Personally, Im boycotting any/all GM products from this day forward, corvettes, trucks, everything. Might cost me my instructors position on Ghost Lake but I will never set foot inside another GM ever again. Cmon ppl wake up and smell the bullshit, dont be ignorant, lets show GM we do not want their bullshit anymore. A weed in a garden full of lushious fruit will eventually contaminate the good fruit and turn it to bitter sour rotten fruit. GM can say all they want how good their corvettes and trucks are, but does that give them the right to produce cheep crap? Does it give them the right to cut corners that put the public at risk 24/7? Because thus far, thats is exactly how it has played out

Originally posted by ercchry
    Im more offended by them claiming their interiors are on par with luxury companies
    South Park did it best, you can dress up a queef to look all pretty with glitter and sparkles but at the end its still a queef. Yes I am comparing a queef and GM.

There is an old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"
    Last edited by MGCM; 04-24-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Also pretty stupid considering they also sell cars.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by MGCM

The number of their vehicles on the road up here says otherwise.......its as if GM knows ppl will still buy their product even after causing loss of life, multiple times, each time the company was too greedy to fix the problems. They get taken to court for it, and ultimately got a slap on the wrist. They can insult their customers and ppl still flock to them.........where does it end? Personally, Im boycotting any/all GM products from this day forward, corvettes, trucks, everything. Might cost me my instructors position on Ghost Lake but I will never set foot inside another GM ever again. Cmon ppl wake up and smell the bullshit, dont be ignorant, lets show GM we do not want their bullshit anymore. A weed in a garden full of lushious fruit will eventually contaminate the good fruit and turn it to bitter sour rotten fruit. GM can say all they want how good their corvettes and trucks are, but does that give them the right to produce cheep crap? Does it give them the right to cut corners that put the public at risk 24/7? Because thus far, thats is exactly how it has played out

South Park did it best, you can dress up a queef to look all pretty with glitter and sparkles but at the end its still a queef. Yes I am comparing a queef and GM.

There is an old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"
    truth be told you can find dirt on every manufacturer out there and have full reason to hate on them for that. You just so happen to pick GM for it. Many manufacturers had recalls they should have enforced but didn't due to the cost involved.

While I agree their advertising is retarded, it sure as hell won't detour me from buying anything by them.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How is being sensitive to something like this different than having a sandy vagina?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

truth be told you can find dirt on every manufacturer out there and have full reason to hate on them for that. You just so happen to pick GM for it. Many manufacturers had recalls they should have enforced but didn't due to the cost involved.

While I agree their advertising is retarded, it sure as hell won't detour me from buying anything by them.
    Exactly! There have been far more dangerous parts failing on vehicles that had to be recalled. Just a few I can think of- Toyota, Rusting frames on Tacoma's, Ford, twist-beam axles that would break while driving down the road on minivans, Dodge/Chrysler was FORCED to recall 1.5 million Jeeps due to faulty gas tanks. GM was not forced to recall all those cars. Sub par parts were used, on millions and millions of car models, I think the actuall failure rate was less than 1%

I could go on and on....Yes GM should by all means be hung for this ignition switch blunder, but they really are no different than any other car maker. Don't ever think that profits don't come before anything else in that business.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ plus Honda with their failing CRV airbags. (Honda didn't want to instigate the recall due to the costs involved, but also a huge public safety issue).

This whole ignition "blunder" isn't really a blunder at all. It's just people are fucking stupid enough to have these heavy key chains with an enormous amount of keys and trinkets on it. Not surprisingly, over time it'll put a considerable strain on the ignition tumbler when the car is subjected to rough roads. (Keep in mind all that weight is being supported by a key 1/8" × 5/16" in size. In a rather delicate thing such as the keyed ignition lock)
    I'm surprised more tumblers don't fail across the board because of this.

This is exactly what happened to GM, so of course people just jump on the haterade band wagon don't they? It's like..... Fuck off.

I can think of dozens of other examples of very foolish things people do to their cars that weren't in the scope of the engineering team to which has led to catastrophic failures. But those people are just stoopid though right? This really isn't much different.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 04-26-2015 at 10:46 AM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Taking this a step further, I bet you could find dirt on anything you own.
    Gasoline / plastics / tooth paste - tar sands, BP oil spill, pipe line leak, train derailments
    Cell phone / computer / electronics in general - rare earth mining - human rights violations - e-waste
    Internet - USA army "world police", NSA, Capitalism
    Diamond ring - conflict diamonds, genocide
    ...etc

Should we stop buying things?
    Or, what is the "best" way to get what you want?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I think people need to quit getting their panties in bunches. Both of those were humourous as long as you take them face value.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I actually like that ad for 1 sole reason.... "Like a bird".

I always thought the TV version was really irrelevant since it just has the kids.

Either way its true and comparing it to racism is silly

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by ercchry
    On that commercial, isn't it so stupid that they sit in the car and still go "This is a Chevy?!" even though you can plainly see the Chevy logo on the center of the steering wheel. Wtf?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Disoblige

On that commercial, isn't it so stupid that they sit in the car and still go "This is a Chevy?!" even though you can plainly see the Chevy logo on the center of the steering wheel. Wtf?
    "Real people not actors". Stupid people are still people.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

"Real people not actors". Stupid people are still people.
    Agreed. GM interiors have come a long way, but they still feel like a rental car to me. I had an ATS rental recently and I have to say that car was brilliant but the interior is a let down. Even Honda's confusing dual screen system is 1000X better than Cadillac Cue.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by ryanallan

Taking this a step further, I bet you could find dirt on anything you own.
    Gasoline / plastics / tooth paste - tar sands, BP oil spill, pipe line leak, train derailments
    Cell phone / computer / electronics in general - rare earth mining - human rights violations - e-waste
    Internet - USA army "world police", NSA, Capitalism
    Diamond ring - conflict diamonds, genocide
    ...etc

Should we stop buying things?
    Or, what is the "best" way to get what you want?
    so let me see if i understand you correctly, "the world is already fucked so who cares?"

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

Originally posted by MGCM

so let me see if i understand you correctly, "the world is already fucked so who cares?"
    Nope.

Make your decision with full knowledge of the situation. And if at the end of the day you want to buy a GM even though they do this and that, then so be it. Just don't get into the herd mentality and become a follower.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by ryanallan

Nope.

Make your decision with full knowledge of the situation. And if at the end of the day you want to buy a GM even though they do this and that, then so be it. Just don't get into the herd mentality and become a follower.
    If we let big companies get away with this shit then we are no better than they are because we know about the problem and choose to do nothing. Best way to get the message to them is boycotting their products so that future generations dont have to deal with this garbage. It sends a message to the rest of the automakers that we as a people will no longer stand idle and do nothing to stop them. I dont understand why people are happy to stay in their blissful ignorance. Someday I hope you all realize that it is up to us as a people to attack these problems for the sake of future generations, not our own.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast