Quantcast
If you think you’ve had Kobe beef in Canada, you’re wrong. But here's your chance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you think you’ve had Kobe beef in Canada, you’re wrong. But here's your chance

Default If you think you’ve had Kobe beef in Canada, you’re wrong. But here's your chance

If you think you’ve had Kobe beef in Canada, you’re wrong. But here's your chance
    JON SUFRIN
    Special to The Globe and Mail
    Published Thursday, Apr. 23 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
    Last updated Thursday, Apr. 23 2015, 2:51 PM EDT

Sometimes it seems like Japan’s legendary Kobe beef is commonplace, especially when it’s available as sliders at any gastropub or in the meat counter at Costco. In truth, this intensely marbled beef is nearly impossible to find. Authentic Kobe beef only comes from a specific breed of Wagyu cattle (known as Tajima) that has been bred and raised under strict guidelines in the Hyogo Prefecture of Japan.

Only about 3,000 heads of Kobe cattle are taken to market each year, and Kobe wasn’t exported anywhere until 2012 (and even then, it was to Macau). Almost all “Kobe beef” found in North America is actually domestic, crossbred Wagyu beef. It’s still good, but if you think you’ve had Kobe in Canada, you’re wrong, unless you’re friends with a talented smuggler. But earlier this month, Montreal’s Antonio Park became the first and only Canadian chef to be certified by the Kobe Beef Marketing & Distribution Promotion Association to sell the real stuff, which he’ll do at his three venues: Park, Park Market and Lavanderia. We caught up with him to talk about getting certified, cooking with charcoal and whether Kobe is worth all the hype.

What was the process like to get this certification?

You have to apply to the Kobe Beef Association in Japan, and they have to approve it. I had wanted to get the Kobe beef licence for six or seven years – maybe they didn’t have enough supply. They asked a million questions. You have to fill out a whole form, letting them know what you’re going to do with it. They won’t sell it to just anyone. They want to sell it to someone who will respect it and appreciate what they have.

There are a lot of legends about Kobe beef. I’ve heard that the cows are continually massaged and that they’re fed sake or beer. How true are these legends?

It’s all true. They’re not legends. The cows actually don’t touch the ground. They’re raised up on a belt. The cows are massaged, and they are literally grown like pets with a lot of love and a lot of care. It takes a lot of time to grow one, so it’s not about feeding them so they can grow faster.

Tell me about your first experience with Kobe beef.

My first time ever I was around eight years old. I tasted it with my father, and I was lucky to be able to taste it. And I tasted it other times when I went to Japan. It’s very different. It just melts in your mouth. It resembles the neck toro of bluefin tuna. You put it in your mouth and it just disappears. It’s an unbelievable experience. It’s not something I’d recommend to eat all the time. For us to eat that much fat is unhealthy. It’s like butter.

So what can customers expect to pay if they go out to try this?

I’m not making money off of this. I’m selling it at cost. My number one goal for the first year is to be able to educate people as to what real Kobe beef is all about. Depending on which cut it is, it costs me around $200 a pound. Plus I have to clean it. If I clean a rib eye, I’ll have a 35 per cent loss. And my licence costs me $10,000. It’s $5,000 in one shot to get the licence, and monthly fees add up to another $5,000. So at the end of the day, it’s going to cost around $350 or $395 for eight ounces.

How will you be preparing it?

I’ve been cooking it with Argentinean charcoal and binchotan charcoal. We try to raise the heat as high as we can so we can sear it very quickly on both sides, and the inside will be kind of raw. That’s the best way to serve it. You have to make sure that the inside is not cold, because when you have something so fatty and the centre is cold, it’s like you’re literally taking a block of butter and putting it in your mouth. It’s not fun any more.

How do other restaurants get away with falsely labelling their beef as Kobe?

They can get away with whatever they want until they get caught. I don’t know what to say. You have American Kobe beef, American Wagyu and stuff like that – but that’s a whole different thing. We’re not talking about the same animal. There was an article in Forbes magazine calling Kobe beef the number one biggest food scam in the world.

How much Kobe are you expecting to get in?

Maybe a half cow every three months. But it’s not my choice, it depends on the supply.

Now that you’ve been certified, do you think we’ll start seeing this stuff in other Canadian restaurants?

I think I’ll remain the only one for a very long time. I’m pretty sure I’ve locked it down.

What’s your favourite beef aside from Kobe?

I love Black Angus, and I also love grass-fed beef from PEI. But if you’re asking me to compare those to Kobe, there’s absolutely no comparison. It brings you to another level.

How long until you start making Kobe hamburgers and hot dogs?

Well, I get a lot of loss when I clean the fat from the meat. You can’t eat that fat on its own. So what do I do with it? I’ll mix it with Black Angus or something and make a Kobe burger. That’s the best way to use that fat, is to mix it with lean meat. I don’t like to waste, even if it’s bones. There’s always a way to use everything.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Vegas is closer.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last time I was in Vegas I did the cardinal sin of eating.

I overfilled my plate, and when it came time for the beef slice hand served by the chef - I did not have enough room for it to lie flat on the plate.

Never seen a bigger eyeroll in my life.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

I've had authentic Kobe Beef supposedly in Vegas and in Thailand. In Thailand i think it was almost 300 canadian for 6 oz?

Honestly, i can't tell the difference. Definitely needs a better palate then mine.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Rage, I know you have commented on this before, but where is the best place to get Kobe in Vegas?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

SW Steakhouse in Wynn is the only certified Kobe Beef importer, similar to this Montreal guy in the article. Wynn got their certification last year.

Prime in Belagio serves A5 Japanese Wagyu. Only real difference is that it's not from the Kobe region, and doesn't carry the "Kobe" name.

Cut (Wolfgang Puck) in Palazzo serves A5 Japanese Wagyu as well. Same deal as Prime.

Didn't get a chance to try SW Steakhouse yet, that'll probably be later this year. Other than that, I prefer Prime in Belagio. They charge by the ounce, $35/ounce.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Thats great, thank you for the breakdown.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

You mean Kobe beef at the U of C wasn't the real deal? Mind blown!

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by benyl
    No way, that guy looks Japanese, or some kind of asian and I'm sure he knows kungfu.

My Ride
    2003 Rsx Type S WHITE, Ninja zx250r

i really don't get the hype about kobe beef, lol we went to Kobe to try the kobe beef last year and in the entire restaurant there was only 2 couples including us......my husband couldn't even eat the beef it was just so fatty....feels like you are eating fat. iirc it was $200CAD for like 6oz.

we will stick to AAA beef that isn't so fatty from now on.
    please don't flame me, or i'll have to learn how to use the ban button

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by gkAeris
    i really don't get the hype about kobe beef, lol we went to Kobe to try the kobe beef last year and in the entire restaurant there was only 2 couples including us......my husband couldn't even eat the beef it was just so fatty....feels like you are eating fat. iirc it was $200CAD for like 6oz.

we will stick to AAA beef that isn't so fatty from now on.
    Thats kind of how I think I would feel about it as well, I like my eye of round steaks which are extremely lean. I'll try it out though soon.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 04-29-2015 at 08:58 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If it feels like you're eating fat, it's overcooked. Did you order it medium rare or something?

I like my steaks on both sides of the spectrum. Extremely lean, or extremely fat.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by benyl
    Couldbe Beef was my staple for 3 years at UC.

My Ride
    Model S

I don't see the big deal, I get Kobe beef hot dogs from the store, they're like $4

My Ride
    NC1

I stayed at Stargate hotel in Osaka for a night and had dinner buffet at the hotel restaurant. Now I don't know if it was Kobe beef that they served (I'm assuming so), 3 slices per plate (I ate 5 plates) but I can say it was hands down THE BEST I have ever had. It was out of this world delicious. After one bite I knew it was something special I have never felt that sensation eating steak before. I truly believe it has set a standard that can not be beaten. So yea where do I get some of that fatty beef goodness around here???
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Don't see Kobe steak on the menu. Is it a seasonal thing?

http://www.opentable.com/sw-steakhouse-wynn-las-vegas

My Ride
    2003 Rsx Type S WHITE, Ninja zx250r

Originally posted by rage2
    If it feels like you're eating fat, it's overcooked. Did you order it medium rare or something?

I like my steaks on both sides of the spectrum. Extremely lean, or extremely fat.
    I think it is because all I can see if the fat.....like half red half white yucky.

no it was rare to med rare the way I liked it, it was one of those they cook in front of you kobe beef places.
    please don't flame me, or i'll have to learn how to use the ban button

My Ride
    240sx

They have kobe ribeye at zen8 grill. Always wanted to try it. $160 for 8oz

http://www.zen8grill.ca/wp-content/u...nu_Dinner1.pdf

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Don't see Kobe steak on the menu. Is it a seasonal thing?

http://www.opentable.com/sw-steakhouse-wynn-las-vegas
    Probably just off menu. It's talked about on their site.

http://www.wynnlasvegas.com/Dining/F...g/SWSteakhouse

http://www.wynnlasvegas.com/Dining/FineDining/Mizumi

Originally posted by GotRice?
    They have kobe ribeye at zen8 grill. Always wanted to try it. $160 for 8oz

http://www.zen8grill.ca/wp-content/u...nu_Dinner1.pdf
    That's the same Australian Wagyu that Koiji was bringing in. I posted about it in another kobe thread somewhere here.

Costco sells "Wagyu" steaks for about $50. Not sure where it's from but it's fantastic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast