Quantcast
DiRT Rally - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: DiRT Rally

My Ride
    Grimace

Default DiRT Rally

New dirt game just came out of nowhere. It is available on steam in early access currently.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/31...snr=1_4_4__104
    This is the main thing I was looking for:
    NEW DRIVING MODEL: The physical simulation for DIRT Rally has been completely rebuilt to adequately capture how it feels to race across changing surfaces, and loose surfaces collect under the wheels during lateral sliding, creating a completely new feel to sliding around corners.
    Very excited to try when I get home from work. Hasn't been a decent rally game in ages.

current status. Mentions leaving early access near end of 2015
    So, right now at the start of Early Access this is what you are getting for your money.

17 Cars - Having hundreds of cars doesn’t interest us, rally is about having the right car and we intend on having all of the right cars. These 17 are just to get us started and we’ll be adding more cars over more classes as the year goes on.

36 Stages – Winding paths through forests, death defying drops off hillsides and narrow mountain paths are what this is all about, it’s you and your car versus the road ahead. To get us started we’ll be heading to the muddy paths of Wales, the dusty trails of Greece and the icy tarmac of the legendary Monte Carlo rally.

Simulation Handling – We’ve accurately recreated how every part of the car works and to support this we’ve developed a brand new physics model that simulates everything from the way the surface of the road behaves to limited slip differentials. This is how these cars drive and with real-world rallying experience on the team, a deep understanding of car setup and handling, countless visitors from the worlds of rally and rallycross plus the help of some of our biggest DiRT Fans we've got the handling as right as we can.

A-Synchronous Events – Take on the world in Daily, Weekly and Monthly challenges. These are the ultimate tests of skill and determination and it’s going to take everything you've got to finish on top.

Team Management – Hire and fire your crew members each of whom which will have different skills, improving repair times for different parts of the car. Teach them new skills as they gain experience and work together as a team to improve your performance in events.

League Support – Get together with friends and run your very own racing league. You can join up to six leagues at any one time and run them how and when you want. For more information on setting up and joining a racing league visit http://dirtgame.com

And as a thank you for supporting us during Early Access we are giving you a special DiRT Rally livery for the Subaru Impreza 1995.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cool. Any chance of coming to consoles?

I thought the original DiRT was better before they sold out to Ken Block's image. DiRT 2 was good still though.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

Right now it looks to be PC only, I am fine with this as then you get the best graphics/performance. If you are interested I can assist you in a lil gamin machine to put next to the TV!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by killramos
    doooo eeeeet. I am going to give it a try when I get home and will let you know how it is. I only use a controller though because I don't want to buy a wheel.

My Ride
    Grimace

Played this a bunch last night. It is awesome. Great graphics, great sound. Not sure on all the tracks yet, there is a mountain type greece area, winter in montecarlo area and welsh forested area. Vehicle damage is present, many different views which is nice. Currently there is a bug though that some hardware configurations dont have co-driver audio or visual directions. That makes it pretty tough so I was going off the course a lot

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Nice!

fact.

My Ride
    is an Experience.

Brilliant, this has DK2 support. I'll be picking this up fairly soon after they fix some bugs.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

We are running a league on Specialstage.com

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/...0/specialstage

So if you want to compete against people who have done the real thing, join up and test your skillz

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/s...age-com-League

My Ride
    W204

HOLY FUCK this is a hard game LOL. I suppose it doesn't help that I use a 360 controller to play. Anyone also use the 360 controller and have good settings? Just on the first stage alone it was sooooo fucking tough to keep the car pointed straight *AND* I was using the Mini, which averages like 50-60 km/h LOL. I did keep trying though as it was quite fun until the game just flat out crashed haha but yeah, at the about the 3rd check point I was already past 10 minutes, missing a wheel, and punctured both front tires.

I really enjoyed the tight controls of the previous (more arcade-y) Dirt games as those are simply built for the 360 controller and I realize this is a work in progress but man, this is almost as uncontrollable as RBR with a gamepad LOL.

That would be my ultimate dream - a rally-only Dirt game that just uses the old Dirt engine and controls - nothing serious, just fun fun fun.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Grimace

nooo clem we want sim. I think if you google around I saw some 360 control pad settings and also on reddit. I haven't tried them yet though as I was playing project cars this weekend instead. It is not the controls that kill me in dirt, it is my shitty driving

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by schocker
    nooo clem we want sim. I think if you google around I saw some 360 control pad settings and also on reddit. I haven't tried them yet though as I was playing project cars this weekend instead. It is not the controls that kill me in dirt, it is my shitty driving
    LOL I know a good Rally sim has been missing for a while, but so has a good Rally game period.. I really just want a game where I can just sit down and get into it and have a blast.

One thing I did notice about this game is that the graphics are very.. "soft". Not sure what it is; the stage looks amazing but it just has this weird soft look to it that I just can't describe.

But still, a game shouldn't be this hard to control...
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    is an Experience.

Originally posted by clem24

One thing I did notice about this game is that the graphics are very.. "soft". Not sure what it is; the stage looks amazing but it just has this weird soft look to it that I just can't describe.
    I haven't played this game yet or seen what settings the options have, but some games have blurring caused by their PostFX settings or AA settings, depending on the method in which they are employed. Would be worth turning those off, if the game has them, then see what its like.

Also if the game has any motion blur option, I'd definitely recommend turning them off.

My Ride
    W204

BTW what kind of hardware are you running and what kind of performance are you guys getting? I am on i7 920 (stock) with CrossFire R9 270x on Win 7 Pro 64. Native res (3440x1440) is unplayable but game runs good (about 40 average FPS) at 2560x1080 with everything on ultra.

I can run Grid Autosport on 3440x1440 all max settings on this setup (for reference), so looks like this game engine is quite a bit more 2015.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Very hard game... the physics are unbelievably good, and they have worked a little magic with the force feedback (at least with a G27 wheel) as the wheel weight determines how hard the wheel fights against you. Gonna take a bit to get good at the game, but I can see this being super fun once all the courses are learned and the cars mastered (Group B is INSANE o_o)
    Geek

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

sweet thanks for the heads up! installing now

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

*ignore this post*
    Last edited by HiSpec; 05-11-2015 at 09:39 PM.

My Ride
    W204

After going on reddit, I tweaked the steering sensitivity to 100% and linearity to 0% and we now have the best rally game ever LOL. Instead of constantly falling off the cliff, I actually managed 3rd in the first event in the slow ass Mini.

Also turns out I had the AA settings on EQAA24 or something which (I guess) really kills the performance hahaha. My rig is now capable of 3440x1440 with Ultra settings and 2xMSAA. Without any AA it's a little "too" sharp but at 2x it actually looks pretty good. Plus any higher and the system slows down quite a bit.

Looking I'll be playing this game lots!

My Ride
    Grimace

Greenman has a deal on this for $26.24 USD today, should be about $33 cdn for those that want to pick it up

http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

My Ride
    W204

Pikes Peak Hill Climb just released and likely due to the memory/game engine restrictions, track is broken out into sections. The cars are insanely hard to handle LOL.

I am definitely getting the hang of the game though it's still a long ways away. I am usually finishing between 5th and 8th. One time I actually did finish first in a Monte Carlo event but for some reason the game didn't save my progress LOL. Also doesn't help that it takes me a few tries to get those positions too as I find it's extremely tough to be fast AND have a perfectly clean run.

Still, game is fun as hell (and stressful too). Can't wait for the new tracks to arrive.