Quantcast
167 Condo's, No Parking, Free Bike! - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 167 Condo's, No Parking, Free Bike!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    You actually know of somebody who is raising kids that doesn't own either a computer or a TV?

I am thinking you should probably call social services, because they live inside a cardboard box.
    That or I didn't know Amish people associate with people not-their-kind , speaking of which, why on earth do they have a website

Originally posted by firebane

Curious how old you are? The generation of the current 20-30s mostly do not have the want/need to go and do all these things you speak of. They are too busy with their work and social life to be thinking about going to the mountains to snowboard. And if your family was never into that stuff how would you even know what your missing out on?

Lots of families raise kids who have never had a tv in their home or a computer and they get by just fine?
    Mid-20's and all of my friends are heavily into sports and rec activities. I didn't get into snowboarding until 2 years ago...never late to start? Have you lived your whole life doing only what your parents let you do as a child? Never tried to learn a new skill or sport?

BS on your last comment there. I will pay you to find any kid nowadays that doesn't have a TV, computer or smartphone...it jut doesn't happen so don't act like it does.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 09:08 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Back on topic (a little bit): I'm amused by how so many people feel so personally offended by the idea like it's an attack on the very fiber of their being. I don't really understand why so many of you seem so butt-hurt about it.

From my personal experience it's not overly difficult to go carless when you live and work downtown. I know a lot of people in their 20s and 30s who basically never leave the downtown/beltine area. All their friends live downtown. When they go out, they go out to restaurants, bars, theatres that are located downtown. So it's not like some crazy leap of logic that people who live downtown don't need to own a car if everything they need is within a walkable distance. Even if it's not a walkable distance, car2go/uber/cabs won't even cost that much to get there. I think the most I've ever paid for a cab ride when I go out is maybe $7 (maybe 8) since I moved downtown.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    Back on topic (a little bit): I'm amused by how so many people feel so personally offended by the idea like it's an attack on the very fiber of their being. I don't really understand why so many of you seem so butt-hurt about it.

From my personal experience it's not overly difficult to go carless when you live and work downtown. I know a lot of people in their 20s and 30s who basically never leave the downtown/beltine area. All their friends live downtown. When they go out, they go out to restaurants, bars, theatres that are located downtown. So it's not like some crazy leap of logic that people who live downtown don't need to own a car if everything they need is within a walkable distance. Even if it's not a walkable distance, car2go/uber/cabs won't even cost that much to get there. I think the most I've ever paid for a cab ride when I go out is maybe $7 (maybe 8) since I moved downtown.
    But its unfathomable to think humans don't need cars! And heaven forbids they walk or bike to places!

My Ride
    Bicycle

No issue with this if the developers think it is a draw.

With so many condo going up in east village, I'm sure there are hippies that will be buy this just to be superior to other hippies.

Kinda like driving an EV over a Hybrid.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I have a friend that hasn't owned a car for years, and has done it in Vancouver, Boston and San Francisco. He loves doing outdoors stuff, and rents cars all the time. For him, it's still way cheaper to do it that way, and he doesn't have to worry about a place with parking.

So, if people will buy it, who cares?

There are parking regulations in place to prevent every single thing people are worried about. If someone wants to live there and pay $40 a day in a nearby parkade, good for them!

As for living car-less, my car is basically a hockey and mountain biking mule. It hasn't left the garage in 3 weeks

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by bspot
    I have a friend that hasn't owned a car for years, and has done it in Vancouver, Boston and San Francisco. He loves doing outdoors stuff, and rents cars all the time. For him, it's still way cheaper to do it that way, and he doesn't have to worry about a place with parking.

Yea if I lived there I probably skip having a car too.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 09:08 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

LOL who are you to judge and say shit like this? Just cause they don't fit your lifestyle doesn't make them socially stunted. Such a close minded attitude and thought process.

You are one of those people that will make things such as these condos very difficult to exist because you will think the only people who want to own them are socially inept people.
    If they never leave the city it sure does IMO. You only get so far reading a book or staring at a screen.

And I am a condo owner, I like condos, they are great. My reference was to not having a car with a FAMILY. As others mentioned, hockey at 6am, any sort of social activity with more than one person (in a family) and public transit quickly goes downhill. That's not close-minded at all, that's fact

Curious how old you are? The generation of the current 20-30s mostly do not have the want/need to go and do all these things you speak of. They are too busy with their work and social life to be thinking about going to the mountains to snowboard. And if your family was never into that stuff how would you even know what your missing out on?

Lots of families raise kids who have never had a tv in their home or a computer and they get by just fine?
    How do you even life?

Edit-
    This conversation is NOT about people NOT having cars. This conversation is about how without strict controls, a no-parking-stall condo will quickly go to shit with people buying the units who have cars and no where to park them. A family would have a SHITTY time without a car.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 04-29-2015 at 05:13 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

This conversation is NOT about people NOT having cars. This conversation is about how without strict controls, a no-parking-stall condo will quickly go to shit with people buying the units who have cars and no where to park them.
    Exactly. I applaud anyone who can go with no car. I certainly couldn't do it myself even if I wanted to.

If you don't need a stall, great, you can rent it out to someone who does need it, and let them pay half your mortgage with the proceeds. But it should be (and is) mandatory for at least one stall per dwelling. Period.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

And I am a condo owner, I like condos, they are great. My reference was to not having a car with a FAMILY. As others mentioned, hockey at 6am, any sort of social activity with more than one person (in a family) and public transit quickly goes downhill. That's not close-minded at all, that's fact
    Again these are not meant for the FAMILY type. Its meant for single people or perhaps a couple with no plans for a family and just get ahead in life with a cheap inexpensive mortgage.

Its exactly what people want without having to worry about things like parking or a car or any uneeed expenses.

Again people are trying to push THEIR values into these places which no kidding is not going to work and if its not going to work then why bitch about it?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Again these are not meant for the FAMILY type.
    IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER WHO IT IS MEANT FOR.

JESUS.
    FUCKING.
    CHRIST.

You are dense

What matters is WHO WILL LIVE IN THEM. And cheap assholes who know that the price on these will be dirt cheap due to no parking stalls will live there.

It's like you saying a typical condo only needs one parking stall, even if the units are 2 bedroom as "there will only be one car". Have you ever been at a condo that doesn't have god-damn parking stalls to match the number of rooms? Its a fucking nightmare

Edit-
    You'd think people would take care of their city in Baltimore, but surprise! instead they stab the fucking fire hoses with knives as the firefighters try to stop THEIR city from burning down. People are morons, they make stupid, idiotic, and most certainly SELFISH reasons without any thought all the time. Why you think these condos will be any different is not only absurd, but hilarious in your naivety
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 04-29-2015 at 06:07 PM.

parking aside, one thing's for sure. This place will be the biggest rental slum in downtown and within 5 years will look more run down than many 40 year old buildings that are primarily owner occupied. That would be my biggest concern buying a unit here to live in, not the parking.

IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER WHO IT IS MEANT FOR.

JESUS.
    FUCKING.
    CHRIST.

You are dense

What matters is WHO WILL LIVE IN THEM. And cheap assholes who know that the price on these will be dirt cheap due to no parking stalls will live there.

It's like you saying a typical condo only needs one parking stall, even if the units are 2 bedroom as "there will only be one car". Have you ever been at a condo that doesn't have god-damn parking stalls to match the number of rooms? Its a fucking nightmare

Edit-
    You'd think people would take care of their city in Baltimore, but surprise! instead they stab the fucking fire hoses with knives as the firefighters try to stop THEIR city from burning down. People are morons, they make stupid, idiotic, and most certainly SELFISH reasons without any thought all the time. Why you think these condos will be any different is not only absurd, but hilarious in your naivety
    Wow, why are you so angry?

There are many different ways to live your life and a car is not the primary motivation for so many people. You can completely vote against that style of life by not buying one, but to get so emotionally involved where you're calling someone dense for even thinking slightly different than you makes you a jackass.

If we want to make this city more livable and attractive to a wider range of people and talent, we need things like this. Building the same old shit everywhere made this city un-walkable and transit a nightmare. Same thing HiTemp is complaining about. But when someone tries to do something differently to change this, it gets shit on. You're screwed either way with these people.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

But its unfathomable to think humans don't need cars! And heaven forbids they walk or bike to places!
    In this city it is. But there's no point of arguing with you because you seem to think 20-30 somethings don't have hobbies, aren't into recreational activities and living in 2015 without a computer is acceptable. Like do you re read what you write? How the fuck do you make it through school these days without a computer? Walk/bus to the library then spend the night doing research, then hand write your essay? Give your head a shake.

The tv I can completely understand, I own one tv and I can count on one hand how many times I turn it on, if my wife didn't watch it then I just wouldn't own one. But a computer?

EDIT: Also, think about how many less jobs will be available to you if you grow up without a computer and aren't familiar with how one works.
    Last edited by ddduke; 04-29-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I find this entire argument fucking hilarious. I have at least a dozen friends in their late 20's that don't have cars and don't want them either.

You guys are just hilarious. Don't ever change.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 09:30 PM.

So... do they live at home, or a shelter or something?

The only person I have ever known without a car in Alberta was my brother. He got by just fine in Vancouver using transit, then when he came out here he basically just mooched rides from his friends. I think he gave in and got a DL and a car when he was 26.

Not having a car here is a sad existence indeed
    some people call it mooching, others call it carpooling. Either way, if all your friends have cars and you end up living close by and doing stuff together, there's nothing wrong with going together as well. Friendships are give and take. You take from one aspect and end up giving it back another way. It doesn't always have to be, "you drive, I drive, you drive, I drive". It could be, "you drive, i'll buy lunch, etc".

The only person I have ever known without a car in Alberta was my brother. He got by just fine in Vancouver using transit, then when he came out here he basically just mooched rides from his friends. I think he gave in and got a DL and a car when he was 26.

Not having a car here is a sad existence indeed
    You can get by just fine in Calgary using transit as well, I don't really see what the big difference is between Calgary and Vancouver? Colder during winter? put on a jacket.

Switching from owning a car to relying on transit I get is a lot more difficult because of lifestyle and friends you may have made but someone new to Calgary can easily make do without a car by living either downtown or closer to LRT.

With that said, I think all buildings in the CBD should have minimum parking requirements (pretty sure they do). If tenants don't need it, they should offer it up as public parking.
    ---

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast