Quantcast
Cambodia & Vietnam - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cambodia & Vietnam

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Default Cambodia & Vietnam

Hey guys,

I'm home based in Bangkok right now, but got a flight booked to Siem Reap, Cambodia. The only things I wanted to check out in Cambodia were Angkor Wat and the Killing Fields, everyting else up in the air. Plan is to hit Vietnam by bus as well, and then fly back to Bangkok from somewhere in Vietnam.

Anybody have any suggestions for things to really check out in Cambodia or Vietnam? Or just general tips, anything that comes to mind. Travelling by myself if it makes a difference.

*Edit. And what to take for currency if I'd only be travelling for a week?
    Last edited by themack89; 04-28-2015 at 02:45 AM.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    06 WRX

US cash for Cambodia, and I would recommend grabbing it before you leave Thailand if you can. I had a heck of a time with the ATM's in Siem Reap, as I had to go to 4 or 5 different ATMs in and around pub street in order to find one that would accept my PC debit card. I would budget for less of a spend than you are spending in Thailand for however many days you end up there.

If you're doing more than just the main temple, you can probably cover all of the major angkor temples in two days. I gave myself 3 to do it, but didn't need it. The beggers were a lot more aggressive in Siem Reap than Thailand, but the kid beggars are amazing in that they've memorized either Wikipedia or Encyclopedias or something. The first time I told a kid I was from Canada, they asked the city, and proceeded to rattle off that Calgary was in Alberta, its location, that Edmonton is the capital and is a rival, the population, our mayor, the Flames, and on and on. I gave that kid a couple bucks out of amazement, and then ran into a dozen or more others that could do the same thing to varying degrees over the course of the trip. That was crazy. Also, if you wander just off pub street at all, the drug dealers and hookers are pretty aggressive in selling their services.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I found 2 days fine for the temples, you can hire a tuk tuk pretty easily to take you around for the day. Pub street was lots of fun, had a great time at the bar Angkor What. Charlies sports pub was also a fun place.

Vietnam for us we loved Hanoi and Ha long bay much more than Saigon. A few people we met up with said Ho Ann was a favourite so its a regret we didn't make it there.

My Ride
    Integra Type R

shoot an RPG in in Cambodia!
    depending on how much extra you want to burn, they can get you propane tanks, live chickens and cows for targets
    wh...?

check out the floating village in cambodia
    and make sure you do halong bay in vietnam

My Ride
    NC1

Everyone spoke English in Cambodia. I thought that was awesome haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49