Quantcast
So I guess the childrens hospital is going to be surrounded with housing soon? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So I guess the childrens hospital is going to be surrounded with housing soon?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default So I guess the childrens hospital is going to be surrounded with housing soon?

http://calgaryherald.com/life/homes/...-new-community

I cant find a map of their proposed new community but I would love to see one.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's basically all that land to the right of Shaganappi trail as you drive up towards Market Mall. There's already some old ass condos in the area by 32nd. Really nice area, walking distance to market mall, and obviously to U of C.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GTI

My gf works at the Children's, she has a long commute.

I hope they build new homes here, it might be a nice place to move to. I would be worried about the traffic though.

what a great area to do this.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Originally posted by rage2
    It's basically all that land to the right of Shaganappi trail as you drive up towards Market Mall. There's already some old ass condos in the area by 32nd. Really nice area, walking distance to market mall, and obviously to U of C.
    It says in the article that it will extend south to 16th ave as well. Does that mean that the land on that slope and south east near that park will also be included in this. I mean the area between 32nd and shag is definetly not enough to support 17k residents and commercial space.

Originally posted by Hakkola

I hope they build new homes here, it might be a nice place to move to. I would be worried about the traffic though.
    It seems like a lot of people cut through the childrens hospital to get to work as it is. The intersection into the hospital main parking could use its own left turning arrow between 7 and 8.30am in the morning.

Edit: found a density plan:

http://www.wcdt.ca/partners/approved-land-use/
    Last edited by nzwasp; 05-04-2015 at 11:33 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Hakkola

That's going to be some pretty expensive homes though!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Looks like those old condos are getting ripped up since a new road is passing right through it.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Just wanted to throw that in here for easier viewing. I'm surprised they're throwing an intersection onto Shaganappi instead of a RIRO setup.
    ---

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

That intersection is going to be an accident nightmare in winter going downhill, and nobody moving going uphill. For whatever reason, Shag is ridiculously icy in winters on that stretch.

I'm pretty sure the northern third if that land (north of the university shipping and receiving building etc) was owned by the university, they have their arboretum up there. Anyone know the story on this - did the university sell this land? Just a few years ago they were touting their designs for the western half of campus, and I'm pretty sure those included development in this area.

The University will still own the land, but it will be leased to developers. I'm pretty sure they own all of it and not just the northern part.

Originally posted by rage2
    That intersection is going to be an accident nightmare in winter going downhill, and nobody moving going uphill. For whatever reason, Shag is ridiculously icy in winters on that stretch.
    Haven't driven on Shag in awhile but the intersection is after it flattens out I think although I think it starts to slope the other way pretty quickly. Should be some good gridlock (in)action during winters.
    ---

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I see a lot of people being stuck going northbound. It will get lined up down the hill and no one will be able to get going again.

Shag is too busy of a road for people to be stuck going up. It's a major road and gets treated first and too many cars travelling on it to be crazy icy. Like Edmonton trail going north from DT, it is hardly ever not moving in winter, even after a stop.

Originally posted by kertejud2
    The University will still own the land, but it will be leased to developers. I'm pretty sure they own all of it and not just the northern part.
    I see - perhaps this is actually part of the University development plans. I seem to recall there being plans for housing now that I think about it.

My Ride
    My Bike

The whole corridor along 16th leaving the city is going to see some major changes over the next few years. Starting with the West Campus at Shaganappi and 16th which will be mixed condos and commercial. Then Trinity Hills at Sarcee and 16th Ave, which will also be mixed residential and commercial. There will also be mixed use developments at 16th and Bowfort Rd, by the trailer park, and a big commercial development along the south side of 16th just before Crestmont.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by benyl
    I see a lot of people being stuck going northbound. It will get lined up down the hill and no one will be able to get going again.
    This.

I go south on this every day. On bad days, it'll be lined beyond that intersection anyway. It actually give a way to u turn out of there if it gets really bad.

As the community goes, it's going to be expensive. The surrounding area has raised in value faster than other areas in Calgary lately.

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    Shag is too busy of a road for people to be stuck going up. It's a major road and gets treated first and too many cars travelling on it to be crazy icy. Like Edmonton trail going north from DT, it is hardly ever not moving in winter, even after a stop.
    Have you driven it?

Countless times every winter there's a line up at the bottom of that Shag hill, people can't get up it. In addition I've been travelling Southbound just as I crest the hill and decided to jump the median and head back north because I got a glimpse of the carnage going on at the bottom.

Treated first, too many cars, doesn't matter, as rage mentioned there's something about that hill in winter. An intersection on it is just a bad idea.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Trucks

Not quite the same area but there are several towers being planned directly north from the Foothills Hospital and a new shopping area. (The Keg) I'm not sure if this will connect with the housing around the Children's hospital.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Looks like its all dense condos. It definitely interest me if this turns into north version of Quarry Park.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-05-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast