Quantcast
Tell me about Copperfield (Copperpond) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Copperfield (Copperpond)

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default Tell me about Copperfield (Copperpond)

the wife and I are thinking about moving from Somerset to Copperfield, specifically the Copperpond area. I tried looking for some development plans for the area, but haven't had any luck.

Does anyone here live there? Any feedback on the home quality and community in general?

What amenities are in the community, or am I going to have to drive up to 130 ave for everything?

What's the commute like to downtown?
    Tim

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Depends on how close you are moving to copper field park. If houses are tightly packed i wouldnt buy there. Reason being that I am going to burn/raze copperfield park 3 to the ground if i hear one more of their radio commercials

I live in an older part of copperfield and quite like it. Ammenities are ok within copperfield. Right inside copperfield you have 711, 3 liquor stores, pizza places, 2 gas bars, Tim hortons, Starbucks, dentist, walk in clinic, pet food store etc... I find myself constantly driving to either mckenzie towne or 130th for real shopping but from copper pond you are really close to 130th anyways. And between mckenzie towne and 130th you rarely need to venture further.

I don't typiclaly drive down town at peak times (work from home) but when I do go downtown it's typically 25-30min on average.

I've lived here for 3 years and my 2 biggest pet peeves are the amount of sirens I hear on mcivor blvd now vs 3 years ago. (I back onto mciver so it's worse than inner community), the traffic on 130th can get very annoying. Overall though I'm very happy where I am.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Altima

I recently bought in New Brighton, i personally love the area! Its 10 min away from work for me and almost everything you need is in the area (130th).
    That being said Lamp Shade is right about the very busy traffic on 130th. I moved from Beddington to New Brighton, and now that im in the south i hardly ever take deerfoot anywhere now.
    Originally posted by WongYue

10% of a litre bike throttle should mean a 100cc right? I think I can handle that.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

There have been discussions here about this area and its high rental population. Its a giant house-farm with people you dont always want to be associated with. I have friends who live in the area and its hit and miss depending on the street. A few homes also never seem to get any snow on the roof as well ...... hmmm

My Ride
    BMW Z4 Coupe, XFR

I have been in Copperpond for a while. There were only a few houses there when I took possession. I really like it there. I am right by the pond. I took a drive around to where the Copperfield Park III apartments are, not sure I would want to be in that area. Fairly dense and would seem like a pain to get in and out.

130th is a PITA. I never go there during rush hour or weekends. That is only going to get worse with the dealerships and sports fields that are going in.

As Lampshade has said, there are plenty of amenities close by. Between McKenzie Towne and 130th you have everything there. Only thing that is really missing is a theater that is supposed to open up in Seton and a wand wash.

I used to have the development plans but cannot find them. Is there something you are looking for?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Copperfield is basically all built out now... nothing much left to develop (ie: development plans).

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

sounds like a step backwards to me... it might look all new and great now... but just honestly think about how its going to be in 10 years, there will be a train line, there will be 60k+ people between mac towne/new brighton/copperfield... lots of "affordable housing".... 1+1=

Not sure if its all over but i have 2 buddies that live in copperfield and the spiders are a huge problem. My buddies front porches are literally covered in spider webs. This has been going on for years now at their houses. This isn't common from what i'm told but one year we went there for a bbq and there was a funky smell all over the neighborhood because of the land fill, it wasn't horrible but you could tell there was something in the air.

Now heres the reason they wont leave, AMENITIES! anything you could want or need is literally a 5-10 min drive. 130th always makes me jealous because theres so much choice there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

For what it's worth, the City is planning on connecting 130th Ave to Stoney Trail, which would make it pretty quick for Copperpondians to get onto Stoney (probably quicker than Deerfoot for northbound trips).

This is what it says in "Investing in Mobility", the City's 10 year transportation plan:

Budget: $12 Million (Unfunded)

Project Scope:
    This project represents the first phase of the interchange planned for Stoney Trail and 130 Avenue SE in the longer-term. The ramp will provide a connection from Stoney Trail southbound to 130 Avenue westbound, connecting to the completed two-lane portion of 130 Avenue SE at 68 Street SE

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Altima

Originally posted by Rocket1k78
    Not sure if its all over but i have 2 buddies that live in copperfield and the spiders are a huge problem. My buddies front porches are literally covered in spider webs. This has been going on for years now at their houses. This isn't common from what i'm told but one year we went there for a bbq and there was a funky smell all over the neighborhood because of the land fill, it wasn't horrible but you could tell there was something in the air.

Now heres the reason they wont leave, AMENITIES! anything you could want or need is literally a 5-10 min drive. 130th always makes me jealous because theres so much choice there.

the spiders are still a problem, my wife and i hire exterminators to spray along our fence and so far its helping greatly.

As for the funky smell, I live closer to the landfil being in new brighton than where copperfeild is and i never smell it in my area at all. I had a lot of freidns "warn" me about the smell before i moved there. Even my friends who do live right in copperfeild dont have a smell problem.
    Originally posted by WongYue

10% of a litre bike throttle should mean a 100cc right? I think I can handle that.

My Ride
    2013 C63 AMG , 2022 Acura RDX A Spec, 2005 BMW M3

My Wife had a house in New Brighton, before we got married , i hated it

130 is always a shit show
    2022 Acura RDX A Spec
    2013 C63 AMG Sedan
    2006 Nissan X-Trial
    2005 Bmw M3 vert
    2008 Ducati 848
    1977 Ford F150

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

We have lived in Copperfield (Copperpond specifically) now for the past 4 years. Bought in the winter/spring of 2011.

The area has it's good and it's bad with a new development area. Everything is new and all the money being dumped into the infrastructure is great. Noise, constant construction and equipment around, re-alignment of road network and even property tax special reassessments mid-year, are not so good. Oh and with Stoney Trail East being completed and opened I can sometimes hear motorcycles running hard down here. It was worse before the rest of the community was built (Copperfield park 3 specifically) which has helped buffer noise on my specific street.

Traffic has gotten better and worse - better access now that McIver was converted to 2 lanes each way and connects to 130th East (yay); worse since construction has gone full swing with the South Calgary Dealerships and NewBrighton Athletic park being built, along with the area getting fully built out and all the multistory family housing finishing up.
    Commute to downtown has gotten much longer since we first moved in. I am exactly 28.5km from my house to Julio's Barrio so take it as roughly 40-45 minutes in real rushhour traffic - 52nd street has helped but 130th really sucks on weekends getting to Deerfoot. Going through Mackenzie town traffic circle is better on the weekends.

There is a BRT from Mackenzie but I don't take it so I can't offer any advice on it. Heading to the C-Train sucks as you're back tracking and parking at Somerset blows unless you have priority parking stall paid for. I was 171 on a wait list 4 years ago (thanks out of town people!)...so I gave up and found parking downtown instead.

As already mentioned 130th has all the shopping you could need before heading to say a mall or Theatre. Restaurant choice is fairly limited but that's sort of a given in most suburb communities.

Anything else you want to know just PM me.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Haha we live in cranston and the wife complains about the spiders too. I think as you go east and towards the landfill they get bigger and theres more of them.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Stagnant water, aka storm retention ponds and prior farm land turned into development land has more to do about the spiders than anything landfill related. The seagulls on the other hand...

I live right on the pond and our mosquito levels are kept in check thanks to all those spiders.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by ae92gts
    As for the funky smell, I live closer to the landfil being in new brighton than where copperfeild is and i never smell it in my area at all. I had a lot of freidns "warn" me about the smell before i moved there. Even my friends who do live right in copperfeild dont have a smell problem.
    Originally posted by thinmyster
    Haha we live in cranston and the wife complains about the spiders too. I think as you go east and towards the landfill they get bigger and theres more of them.
    This is all I could think of from these posts. I have nothing constructive to add.

Im in new brighton, and spiders are a problem.

Not inside the house, but lots outside. The wife has been spraying peppermint oil as per some gypsy advice she got, and there seems to be less this year (even compared to next door)

We drop off the kid at dayhome at 6:30am and I am usually downtown between 7-7:15am

I have noticed the landfill smell 2 times in two years if that helps.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Been in Copperfield since 2004 (built new-walkout backing onto Stillwater Pond) and we really like the area. We are a 5 minute walk from the school (Catholic) and there is a lot of amenities in the area (new Smashburger on High Street!)
    Can't wait for the connection between 130th and Stoney as getting left out of Copperfiled in rush hour can be a bit of a wait.
    Lots of lifted pickups in the area-as well as quite a few flips. Neither are a negative as far as I am concerned. A lot of dog owners in the area as well.
    I believe the transit plans for 52nd St. are low-deck trains and not full-fledged LRVs and have ground level platforms and level crossings.
    Spiders-we have a lot as well. But we also have lots of ladybugs so they must be feasting on something! And frogs-should start croaking any day now! My wife finds them peaceful!
    We also have woodpeckers rat-tat-tatting on out metal vents-a little freaky until you figure out what was making the racket. We have birdhouses to attract the birds as we like the company!

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Been in copperfield about 6 years now.

The good stores are just a short drive away. It does tend to get busy during peak hours but not to a point it's unbearable.

Spiders is a constant issue but I just spray spider spray every once or twice a month and it should keep them at minimum.

One thing to consider is if you have kids or planning to have kids. The school is full so any new kids are sent to other schools. The good side is new schools are projected completion for 2016.

Not sure why others say people who live in the area not the ones you associate with. I always had good neighbors, got a quite street. The only thing that got stolen in my whole stay here was my plate number but those robbers are normally not from the area. I used to rent in the old NE area and that's the where you can find interesting people.

In short I like living here. But again it depends on what you like and what is important to you.

Traffic on 130th is a fucking gong show.

I'm pretty surprised by how many people are bringing up spiders, had no idea that could be such a widespread issue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast