Quantcast
Random Camping - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Random Camping

Default Random Camping

I want to start random camping again, we always went to Waiprous when I was a kid, but thinking McLean creek some place west and/or south of the city would be ideal as I live in the SE. So there isn't much good info on random camping on the internet that I've been able to find, how do I know where i can camp or where are some good spots?? Do you just have to drive out there and explore? could be stressful if your heading out there in the evening and want to set up camp and get firewood before dark. Where do you typically find firewood? We used to just take the truck and head up Hunter Valley Road in Waiprous until we saw a good standing dead tree to cut that we could haul to the truck. There probably isn't much available close by the more popular spots...

thoughts?

My wife seems to make plans every weekend or pick up shifts...should I just fckin leave her and take the kids camping for the weekend?
    Last edited by nonofyobiz; 05-10-2015 at 08:40 AM.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 11:17 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Forestry trunk road down to Crowsnest pass. Lots of crown camping down that way. South of Livingstone Falls. Also staging areas in Crowsnest pass. All random camping.

http://albertascampgrounds.com/campi...ry-trunk-road/
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 05-11-2015 at 10:16 PM.

Me and the GF are planning a 3 week tenting kananaskis, banff,radium,moraine lake, kelowna/okanagan trip.

I plan to do all cooking over the fire pit, is there ever any fire bans I have to watch out for. If there is do they still allow a fire just for cooking?

What do you guys recommend banff hot springs or radium?

Am i going to need any sort of reservations in advance for tenting or can i just show up to most places and find a spot?

What do you use to store meat, just a cooler and daily fill it with ice?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I was in Koocanusa for long weekend. Lots of crown land around there to camp.

Originally posted by Matty_10
    [B]I plan to do all cooking over the fire pit, is there ever any fire bans I have to watch out for. If there is do they still allow a fire just for cooking?
    It was a very dry winter and spring so far, so unless we start getting lots of rain, I would bet on pretty widespread fire bans for the latter part of the summer. You can't have a fire even to cook if there is a fire ban. You will want to pick up a small propane stove or grill for cooking.

I'd recommend having a portable stove even if there isn't a fire ban. Making a fire every time you want to cook something is a hassle and wood gets expensive (assuming you are paying for it).

For random camping, you just need to drive out to the crwon land and you camp wherever you want. It's not like there's anyone around to say anything anyhow. Most of this land has had logging in the past so you can just collect wood as you go or where you end up. I believe there is some near McLean, however no on forestry trunk road (past waiporus) is best IMO. You can literally drive for days and weeks up there.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Mixalot27
    It was a very dry winter and spring so far, so unless we start getting lots of rain, I would bet on pretty widespread fire bans for the latter part of the summer. You can't have a fire even to cook if there is a fire ban. You will want to pick up a small propane stove or grill for cooking.
    You're 5 hours behind on news
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2016036/al...wide-fire-ban/

"A province-wide full fire ban to Alberta’s forests came into effect at noon on Monday, May 25."

Originally posted by jwslam

You're 5 hours behind on news
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2016036/al...wide-fire-ban/

"A province-wide full fire ban to Alberta’s forests came into effect at noon on Monday, May 25."
    lol, You're right, I hadn't heard about it yet. I knew it was coming, happened even earlier than I expected though. Hopefully we get a good amount of rain soon.