Quantcast
Anyone heard of Emmerson Brando? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of Emmerson Brando?

My Ride
    V8s

Default Anyone heard of Emmerson Brando?

I started hearing these commercials on the radio on my morning drive a few weeks ago, and from the first time I heard them, I figured this guy was a greasy POS.

Well, based on what this article has to say, looks like I was right

Calgary prosecutors were asked in an internal memo Tuesday to oppose appearing on cases with a paralegal who has a criminal history — a move that could affect some court cases in the city.

Emmerson Brando, who acts in the place of a defence lawyer on traffic and some criminal matters for those facing charges, also spent time in jail for fabricating evidence in the case of a murdered police officer in Ontario.

The memo came from Chief Crown prosecutor Lloyd Robertson. He said if Brando continued act as a court agent it could impact the administration of justice.

Prosecutors were told to consent to adjournments for people who are currently represented by Brando and need to seek new representation.

The directive comes after an investigation by the Crown's office turned up evidence that Brando, a boisterous staple at the Calgary Courts Centre, changed his name from Arturo Nuosci after serving sentences in both Nevada and Ontario.

It is not illegal for Brando to represent clients but the court does have jurisdiction to prevent him from appearing on the grounds that he could "undermine the integrity of the proceedings."

Despite the Crown's objections, Brando said he will continue to ask judges to allow him to appear. He told CBC he has done a lot of pro bono work and often helps people who can't afford a lawyer.

Brando says there no hard feelings with the Crown's office, even calling the memo "appropriate" and saying he doesn't take it personally.

Criminal history

Brando said that he changed his name legally in 1997 in order to start a business. He said he is ashamed of his criminal history.

"Am I proud of my past? Not even close. Am I proud of what I've achieved in recent years? Absolutely."

According to Ontario newspaper reports from the 1990s, Nuosci was a former RCMP constable when he was jailed for 90 days in 1994 after pleading guilty to fabricating evidence that implicated a former male lover and another man in the 1984 shooting of undercover OPP Const. William McIntyre in his bedroom.

Nuosci also pleaded guilty in 2006 to several charges while living in Las Vegas including mail fraud, identity theft, bank fraud, misuse of a social security number and making a false statement in a passport application. He was sentenced to 33 months in prison, according to several stories published in the Salt Lake Tribune.

Before paralegals became regulated in Ontario, Nuosci set up a practice called Maverick A. Maveric. Here in Alberta, where paralegals are not regulated, Brando set up a practice several years ago. His website boasts about his time with the RCMP.

"With my 25 years of experience with the RCMP, you can trust that I will work for you," Brando writes on his website.

Nuosci was dismissed from the RCMP for disgraceful conduct and later convicted of defrauding the Canadian government of $55,000 in disability payments, according to an article examining the issue of Ontario paralegals becoming licensed on the website Canadian Encyclopedia.

"As an officer, he was always very diligent in his handling of investigations and in dealing with Crown attorneys on his findings," reads part of Brando's website under the title Calgary's Legal Eagle.
    Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...memo-1.3071844

What's everyone's thoughts? Should this guy be allowed to appear in court? Should he be prevented from doing so?

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

His commercials sounded so 80's, always made me laugh

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Doesn't he say that he's not a lawyer in his commercial?

I'm not a doctor but I like to make a living by giving people medical advices.

My Ride
    12 audi a5

He's got the perfect look
    Last edited by locust; 05-13-2015 at 09:56 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by lilmira
    Doesn't he say that he's not a lawyer in his commercial?

I'm not a doctor but I like to make a living by giving people medical advices.
    Definition of homeopathy

My Ride

LOL I thought his commercials were a Better call Saul parody... Not surprised he is the real life version of Saul

My Ride
    Lariat

I always thought he would fit right in with the old school American channels that show infomercials all night long, always had a good laugh any time I saw him in an ad or commercial
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/07/16...n-traffic-stop

Traffic court agent Emmerson Brando suggested to Justice of the Peace Tracy Brennan his client was pulled over in the Beltline after the officers discovered the vehicle he was driving was registered to a woman.

“Was it that they saw a black man driving a female’s car?” Brando told the traffic court hearing.

“Whether they thought it was a stolen vehicle?”
    http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/...ml?mobile=true

this one is at least nice, but i bet its to get his name out there (2013)

Calgary paralegal Emmerson Brando, whose 25 years with the RCMP include service in the commercial crime section, has agreed to help Nicholson for free.

He says his first order of business will be to have the maintenance enforcement order overturned so she can get her driver’s licence back.

“This is a travesty that’s happened,” Brando said from his Calgary office.

“This young woman was a victim, where she was coerced into signing off her parental rights ... while she was struggling with depression. She was under psychiatric care.”

Emmerson said he will make an application in Calgary Court of Queen’s Bench this week to set aside the judgment against his client, who was unaware that such an option is available.

“The court needs to know that she did this under duress. It’s nothing but trial by ambush, what she went through,” he said.

He will also seek to stay proceedings on the traffic tickets, pending the outcome of his application to overturn the maintenance enforcement order and restore her driving privileges.
    and just for giggles.
    ]
    Last edited by GQBalla; 05-13-2015 at 01:10 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Takes a criminal to defend one. Why not, dude got creds.

My Ride
    G6

Didn't the crown just give everyone a reason to hire this guy?? If prosecutors continue to adjourn when this guy represents someone, sooner or later you reach the statute of limitations, and charges get dropped. I think it's 2 years for traffic violations. Am I missing something here?

Personally depending on price, why not hire him. Same as points and people on kijiji

I'd hire him. Having been on both sides of the law, and spending some time in the cage for it, he has way more perspective than typical legal representation. I don't care much for his over the top commercial persona but I think he's done OK for himself and tuned his shit around.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I can't say any of this is a surprise but I don't see the point in banning him from the courts. I bet legit lawyers just hate this guy.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Better call Saul!!

My Ride
    V167

Gotta love the suit....I remember seeing his commercial for the first time a while back and being just totally confused.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I wouldn't necessarily hire the guy but it irks me that the courts, without a lawful reason, would tell lawyers to undermine the personal choice someone executed in who represents them. The guy caters to poor people. Hell he would have been cheaper for me to use when I sued someone. All my lawyer did was fill out paperwork and bill me for pages printed. I could have done it myself.

Remember. "He. Is. Not. A. Lawyer." And if someone wants him to represent them they should be free to do so. The presiding judge is equally entitled to shit all over his case and render a decision against him.

This internal memo says to me that maybe he is a pain in the ass. And maybe he is actually good at what he does. Lawyers do shady crap all the time. If this guy does something that crosses a line then find him in contempt. But don't try and railroad someone's right to select the guy as representation because some judge doesn't like him. If someone wants to use him, they should be able to. It's their right.

This internal memo seems very backdoor to me. Find the guy at fault or incompetent in court and on record. Until then, if someone wants to use him let them without some vindictive hindrance. It's their right.

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    I wouldn't necessarily hire the guy but it irks me that the courts, without a lawful reason, would tell lawyers to undermine the personal choice someone executed in who represents them. The guy caters to poor people. Hell he would have been cheaper for me to use when I sued someone. All my lawyer did was fill out paperwork and bill me for pages printed. I could have done it myself.

Remember. "He. Is. Not. A. Lawyer." And if someone wants him to represent them they should be free to do so. The presiding judge is equally entitled to shit all over his case and render a decision against him.

This internal memo says to me that maybe he is a pain in the ass. And maybe he is actually good at what he does. Lawyers do shady crap all the time. If this guy does something that crosses a line then find him in contempt. But don't try and railroad someone's right to select the guy as representation because some judge doesn't like him. If someone wants to use him, they should be able to. It's their right.

This internal memo seems very backdoor to me. Find the guy at fault or incompetent in court and on record. Until then, if someone wants to use him let them without some vindictive hindrance. It's their right.
    Did you read the article? The courts have nothing to do with this. It was the Chief Crown. The Crown is not the court. The Crown, who are lawyers, have responsibilities as officers of the court and under the Legal Professions Act, to act in the interests of justice. This guy has been convicted of serious criminal trust crimes and therefore may not be trustworthy in court proceedings. The Crown has an obligation to say something.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I guess it's lucky for Albertans that the crown doesn't have the authority to dictate whom we have representing us. I can't imagine the courts would prevent him from appearing over this.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

I meet Brando at a Funeral yesterday and i talked to him and he can practice but he won't because the client will be convicted no matter. Big hate on for the dude. His new rug is horrific it looks like he was scalped and then found another piece and stapled on. Guilty by Association i guess.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast