Quantcast
Cant believe this shit works. My employee fell for a Nigerian scam - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cant believe this shit works. My employee fell for a Nigerian scam

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by botox
    She's blinded by love, hopefully she hasn't been too brainwashed by this guy. My question to her would be how they actually met? Maybe find a close friend of hers and explain to them what's going on so they can confront her.
    Before I go further, let me state that I'm not a lawyer so anything I'm about to write is not legal advice and shouldn't be taken as such.

DON'T TELL ANYBODY ABOUT THIS SITUATION

You may think you're doing this person a favor by asking their friends to talk about it with them, but you CANNOT approach their friends about this. It can be considered a breach of privacy by an employer, and you could be on the hook for it. I work closely with a lot of employment and labour law lawyers, and I hear stories of privacy breaches all the time. It always starts with the employer thinking that they are doing the right thing by consulting others, but because this deals with the personal and financial matters of an employee, you have to be very careful of who is privy to this kind of information.

If you're intent on finding a remedy to the situation, I strongly suggest talking to an employment and privacy lawyer first before taking any kind of action.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Leather jacket scam: once he gives you the bag just walk away. What, is he going to call the cops? I have no problem scamming scammers.

Nigerian scam: If she is stupid enough to fall for this why do you employ her? Talk to her and if she really is that stupid to not understand let her go and hire someone with half a brain.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ I'd just walk away and not even bother with this idiot woman. She's clueless. Let this guy scam her out of house and home before she learns her own lesson. Just advise your other employees not to ever lend her a cent and call it a day.
    Trying to help stupid people see or acknowledge something their incapable of will kill you of energy and patience in the end, so why even bother? Just so long as it doesn't affect your business, other employees or you, just let stupid people be stupid.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 05-13-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ I'd just walk away and not even bother with this idiot woman. She's clueless. Let this guy scam her out of house and home before she learns her own lesson. Just advise your other employees not to ever lend her a cent and call it a day.
    Trying to help stupid people see or acknowledge something their incapable of will kill you of energy and patience in the end, so why even bother? Just so long as it doesn't affect your business, other employees or you, just let stupid people be stupid.

Not everyone is as smart as us Beyonders, goes without saying. The type of person who falls for this sort of scam really has mental issues, they are unable to see something for what it really is. From what I've observed, it borders on extreme blind love and we all know someone in a blind love relationship. I'm sure there is a certain low percentage of the population more willing to jump into this sort of a shit show. It appears to be mostly females, older ladies who have had their husbands pass away a few years earlier. It is a mental disorder really. These people are not stupid, whatever that definition is under the Beyond definitions.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I know you hit your head a few times, but there's this thing called being a decent human. You should read up on it.

My Ride
    08 Impreza

Why not provide her with the tons of links online that refer to the scam?

Watched this one on TV, it was brutal on Dr. Phil....................dude accepted help in the end though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otX2NjtSE7M

.......I really don't get why they are all from nigeria

If you are her employer and know who she banks with (direct deposit or casually ask), a call to her bank manager may save her a lot of grief. They may not be able to prevent her from doing it, but they can have a long talk with her and make her jump through a bunch of hoops to send the money.. at least that way she will be talking to someone she trusts and it will sound very official. The banks usually have a script / policy to deal with this kind of thing.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I think the important thing here is this person just needs to be made aware that this is a scam and not to draw too much attention towards her to avoid embarrassing her.

cycosis, you may want to bring this up with HR and see if there's something they can do or recommend.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I think the important thing here is this person just needs to be made aware that this is a scam and not to draw too much attention towards her to avoid embarrassing her.

cycosis, you may want to bring this up with HR and see if there's something they can do or recommend.
    Agreed.

Oddly, your signature seems (miraculously) relevant here.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

I am HR ahha. Im 4 people in the office with about 14 sales associates.

Im not going to disclose details as I respect her privacy.

Was just looking for resources. The Dr Phil thing might be good
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Could always sent out one of those company wide safety emails to be careful of scams/bears/Nigerian princes or lovers with attached information, what to do if you are being scammed, how to know if you are being scammed etc. Then hope for the best that she gets the hint?

My Ride
    G6

She wasn't the one who said the gift card was authentic by any chance, was she?

My Ride
    LX 5.0

Originally posted by Feruk
    She wasn't the one who said the gift card was authentic by any chance, was she?
    I knew that was coming... Low Blow IMO

Even if it was her, what did she do wrong? It was 100% valid at the time she verified it

She should send gift cards to her man in Nigeria. He would not be impressed when they have no balance.

My Ride
    '06 BMW 325xi

A few years back when I used to work at Telus tech support I got a client saying she was having trouble re-dialing a number that she got a call from - she thought there was something wrong with her phone or network.

She said she was at a Western Union trying to send some money to this guy in Nigeria because she won a large sum of money but needed to pay for processing the paperwork. She gave me the number and the name of the person she was trying to send the money to, a quick google search of the number showed that she was being scammed.

I told her not to send any money to this person and do a quick google search of the guy's name and number as this is a scam - I felt like she still didn't believe me and was mad because I wouldn't "fix her problem with her phone" - I hope she didn't fall for that crap but then again there is no one to blame but herself if she did
    Last edited by rated_R; 05-20-2015 at 10:26 AM.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by s dime
    I knew that was coming... Low Blow IMO
    How so? When people are desperate for money, they do dumb things.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Feruk

How so? When people are desperate for money, they do dumb things.
    Because they didn't know about the fraud until AFTER the employee verified the gift card.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

100% unrelated. This one was not on shift.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

http://www.419eater.com

Some of you guys wil get a kick out lf this website trying to scam the scammer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast