Quantcast
City looks to boost fines for pit bull bites after slew of attacks - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: City looks to boost fines for pit bull bites after slew of attacks

Default City looks to boost fines for pit bull bites after slew of attacks

City looks to boost fines for pit bull bites after slew of attacks - thread name is article name from the Calgary Herald, a bit sensationalistic IMHO but it is what it is, they need to sell newspapers.

Are some breeds more prone to attacking - possibly and probably but more often than not the real problems can be traced back to either poor breeding and/or poor training. Until as such time that dog owners are forced into some sort of mandatory training program for themselves and their dog(s), attacks will continue. That said, I am all too well aware that there will never be such a thing as mandatory training and I wouldn't want to see such draconian measures but breed specific bans/fines are not even at best band-aid solutions.

BTW, I wonder if people will happen to notice who said they opposed a breed-specific ban and said breed-specific bylaws have been shown not to work...

City staff say they will push city council to enhance punishments for pet owners whose dogs are involved in biting incidents and raise the cost of licensing for breeds considered dangerous after a sudden spike in dog attacks in the past five days.

The call for greater public safety measures comes after a new batch of incidents. Following two bite attacks by pit pulls over the weekend — resulting in two dogs killed and seven charges laid against the owners — a Great Pyrenees attacked two children Monday resulting in five charges in a separate incident.

On Wednesday morning, a 14-year-old girl was bit on both legs by a pit bull-type dog before the owner and dog fled the scene. An investigation is also underway after two unleashed dogs — a German Shepherd cross and Labrador-type cross — attacked a woman at a bus stop on Wednesday.

“I’m very concerned about pit bulls and Rottweilers,” said Ryan Jestin, director of Animal and Bylaw Services. “There’s a history, there’s a reason why places like the city of Toronto have banned them outright. Is that a way we want to go in Calgary? I’m not so sure, but quite clearly we have to take additional steps to make sure owners understand the ramifications of owning a breed that may potentially harm somebody.”

There have been 23 reports of dog attacks so far in 2015. This follows approximately 400 in 2013 and 500 in 2014, although ABS operations manager Alvin Murray noted there’s usually a spike in spring and summer.

Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi said he opposed a breed-specific ban.

“It’s been shown over and over again those don’t work and have a lot of unintended consequences,” he said. “And I’m told by many people across the country that Calgary’s current responsible pet bylaw is a really good example of how to manage the issue without breed-specific bylaws. There may well be other things we need to do. We may need to look at specific penalties, but breed-specific bylaws have been shown not to work.”

Jestin said he was concerned with the “viciousness” of this week’s attacks, adding all occurred out in the street rather than off-leash dog parks. He said ABS will work with city councillors to revamp the city’s Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw over the next year.

“The evidence clearly here is about pit bulls. That specific breed has caused real damage over the last five days,” Jestin said. “If you want to have a pit bull at home you can, but I suspect it’s going to cost you much more for licensing, it’s going to cost you much more in the event there’s an attack such as we’ve seen in the last few days.”

Former city councillor John Schmal was a main proponent of a breed ban during the late 1980s. He said pit bulls “belong out in the farm somewhere.”

“They’re very dangerous. We’ve seen enough kids being bitten by pit bulls and even though families think they’re a nice animal and they’re part of the family, all of a sudden you find that they bit one of their own kids. I don’t think they belong here in our city,” Schmal said. “Our bylaw department is pretty loosey-goosey in controlling dogs in our city.”

But Barbara Walmer, head of behaviour at the Calgary Humane Society, said dog attacks are not a breed-specific problem.

“We need to educate people on training and socialization and basically responsible pet ownership,” she said. “If dogs are not social, we need to make sure we’re using preventive measures such as muzzles and leashes to prevent those interactions from happening.”

-With files from Jason Markusoff

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Typical attitude. Ban something so you punish everyone, not just address the shitty owners.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Dogs are not new, what's different? Moar bike lanes!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 10:19 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

There is nothing wrong with breed specific rules, rules specific to breed of douchebags that is.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by FraserB
    Typical attitude. Ban something so you punish everyone, not just address the shitty owners.
    The problem is the shitty owners don't register these dogs or have any remorse if something happens because of their dog.

Look at the story a little while back about a pit bull killing a small dog at a dog park? The owner just ran off apparently.

My Ride
    17' DENALI, 17' X4 M40i

Originally posted by FraserB
    Couldn't agree more. time to ban these stupid fu***ng people. Everything is a Pitbull these days.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't understand how it's not already a criminal offence to have your dog injure someone. Couldn't this fit under existing assault laws somehow?

I like dogs, and I even like some of those "dangerous" breeds, but people need to be held accountable for the actions of their animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

In my line of business, I enter people's houses on a daily basis. In general, the people who own these types of dogs are...well, I'm sure you can fill in the rest.

My Ride
    W204

It's all about the pitbulls!! Yet there's 3 other breeds mentioned right in the first few paragraphs. Oops.

Yes it IS all about the owner, but at the same time, it's also the breed since some are just more susceptible to be aggressive. Metaphor time: buying a shih tzu is like buying a broom: mundane everyday item but you can still use it for bad purposes. Buying a pitbull is like trading in that broom for a gun. Plenty of very responsible gun owners but you'll get the odd who can't handle it and ignores all safety concerns.

My solution? Mandatory licensing to own a pitbull. Requirement to take a course, pay higher fees, etc..
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by clem24
    buying a shih tzu is like buying a broom
    Don't give them ideas

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by clem24
    It's all about the pitbulls!! Yet there's 3 other breeds mentioned right in the first few paragraphs. Oops.

Yes it IS all about the owner, but at the same time, it's also the breed since some are just more susceptible to be aggressive. Metaphor time: buying a shih tzu is like buying a broom: mundane everyday item but you can still use it for bad purposes. Buying a pitbull is like trading in that broom for a gun. Plenty of very responsible gun owners but you'll get the odd who can't handle it and ignores all safety concerns.

My solution? Mandatory licensing to own a pitbull. Requirement to take a course, pay higher fees, etc..
    I agree with the first part of your post. The only part where your point isn't bang on, is the mandatory pitbull licensing. Dickhead owners will still get through this, they'll pay the fees, and then let their dogs behave badly and things will still get hurt.

If a shitty owner has a shih tzu/chihuahua/whateversmalldog, how much damage can that dog possibly do? If the same shitty owner has a pitbull or (insert other big dangerous dog breed here), that dog can kill people and other animals easily. Breed specific bans may not be the best answer, but since you can't ban shitty people from owning dogs, it's the only viable alternative IMO.

My Ride
    17' DENALI, 17' X4 M40i

Originally posted by Seth1968
    In my line of business, I enter people's houses on a daily basis. In general, the people who own these types of dogs are...well, I'm sure you can fill in the rest.
    Its stupid people like you that have no idea about the breed, and assume every dog that bites is a pitbull, and everyone who owns one is a "drug dealer".

Originally posted by B16EJ8

Its stupid people like you that have no idea about the breed, and assume every dog that bites is a pitbull, and everyone who owns one is a "drug dealer".
    It's stupid people like you that lack reading comprehension.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

So fining the shit out of the owners is the way to go when something goes south, saves banning the dog breed, that way owners who aren't doinks don't get punished.

Pit Bull Only Walking Lanes downtown. 12th still has to lanes of traffic. We could put it to one lane for vehicles, one for bikes, and one for pitbulls.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I don't understand how it's not already a criminal offence to have your dog injure someone. Couldn't this fit under existing assault laws somehow?

I like dogs, and I even like some of those "dangerous" breeds, but people need to be held accountable for the actions of their animals.
    My dads black lab bit somebody after it was kicked, the guy who kicked my dads dog sued my dad and won. This was about 30 years ago. Not sure how the law applies but I know that you are in the wrong if your dog attacks.

Warning - TLDR post, I'll apologize in advance and no, I'm not providing a Coles notes version...

What is amusing about all of this is there is no recognized breed called a Pit Bull Terrier by either the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) or AKC (American Kennel Club). What there is is multiple breeds that people generally lump together as a pit bull type of dog - the closest probably being a American Staffordshire Terrier although the UKC (United Kennel Club out of the USA) does recognize the American Pit Bull Terrier breed as a separate breed from the American Staffordshire Terrier breed.

Never the less, after having been in the pet industry 7+ years, I have met my fair share of bullies and their owners and not all of the dogs are dangerous based upon my interactions with them and certainly their owners are not douche bags in the least bit.

If anything, I have met many more dogs of other breeds and especially smaller and what many would assume to be "not dangerous" breeds that were more inclined to bite or attack anyone around them. This is about breeding plus training of both the human and the associated dog. Please note that this doesn't mean that every animal will turn out wonderful despite the best of proper breeding and the best of training - some animals just have something within their personality that makes them more dangerous. It's no different than in humans - brain chemistry, when messed up, will really affect how a person sees and reacts to the world around them and dogs are no different.

A good start though would be breeding controls - taking the sales of dogs/puppies out of the retail scene will address exactly nothing as the breeders that were supplying those dogs/puppies previously are still out there and are still making a living just through other distribution channels. The problem here though is that it would be regulation and probably government regulation and we all know how well that fixes many things - not.

So what's next - education? Fat chance anything will come about that make this a solution either. I do my best to educate people and give them advice but I am by no means an expert and I have never owned a dog and never will - just not my thing. A great example in our shop recently - young lady comes in all excited about her puppy she was picking up. I asked her if she'd had a dog before - nope. I asked her if her family had ever had a dog while she was growing up - nope. I then asked her what kind of a dog she was getting - Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog), not a dog that I would ever recommend as a first dog for anyone who has never had any experience with dogs. This lady, she was getting this breed because she likes their appearance - this is wrong on so many levels but it is the main reason many people purchase a specific dog.

In the article above other breeds are mentioned as well - Great Pyrenees, German Shepherd cross, a Labrador-type cross and Rottweilers. So where does one draw the line with respect to what's a dangerous dog and what is not - hell, I know of someone who had the end of their nose almost ripped off by a 4 pound Chihuahua. Does this mean a Chihuahua is a dangerous breed? What if this Chihuahua had decided to gnaw on a newborn human - could've very well been quite a different and much more serious outcome

So I guess about the only thing that might change things is to tighten up licencing regulations and put into place stiffer penalties. It's like the $575 penalty for not remaining stopped at a crosswalk while a pedestrian is in that crosswalk - I will remain stopped because I'd rather keep that $575 in my pocket than elsewhere. Increase fines/penalties for animal regulations/offenses and we may, just may, start seeing some positive effects.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Agree on stiffer fines on dog owners when their dog attacks. I would say fines should be $2-$3K per attack, something stiff enough for owners to train them better.

Disagree on higher fees on breeds.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by StreetRacerX
    So fining the shit out of the owners is the way to go when something goes south, saves banning the dog breed, that way owners who aren't doinks don't get punished.
    Right. Unless the irresponsible owner leaves the scene, instead of sticking around to get a ticket. Then where are we?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast