Quantcast
12th Ave Cycle Track Lane Insanity - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 36 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 12th Ave Cycle Track Lane Insanity

Default 12th Ave Cycle Track Lane Insanity

So it looks like they gave a drunk preschooler a paint brush and had them randomly draw lanes. Shit goes right then left and practically forces quasi lane changes in the middle of intersections. Not to mention the craziness with the weird dual turn lanes which people are driving through. I can't wait for there to be snow on the ground to see the epic level cluster fuck the city planners have caused. At the moment it makes for a very exciting drive with people randomly getting in and out of lanes and trying to figure out where the hell they should be when the white lines suddenly randomly cut left or right...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I noticed this as well. They really did a poor job implementing this.
    Ultracrepidarian

I haven't seen the full length of 12th yet but the lanes jog over quite a bit mid-intersection at 4th St, and then around 2nd there is a forced left turn lane that could easily allow cars to proceed straight as well. That means there is only one lane getting through (because the right lane is parking). Its going to be fun driving that at night trying to dodge the taxis spontaneously stopping or pulling into traffic without looking.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Drove it this morning…. What a gong show!

Didn’t even consider winter driving hahahaha…. Gonna be an epic disaster. Also I'd be pissed if I lived on 12th as there is literally no street parking or loading left.

I walk by this everyday on my way home and the way that this has piled up traffic on 12th is pretty unreal

I already saw someone get high centered on one of the concrete barriers

These bike lanes are getting out of hand, but still doesn't have shit on that one by Northmount.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The way the bike lanes are setup are ideal for. The concrete barrier is safer for bikers and restricts them to one area of the road, and is easier to tell distance to the biker from the driver's perspective.

This only works when the lanes are clearly and intuitively marked. No one expects the lane they're in to disappear when they go through an intersection
    Ultracrepidarian

These cycle lanes downtown are ruining downtown. I can't stand it.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    These cycle lanes downtown are ruining downtown. I can't stand it.
    The one in front of the court house is just plastic bollards and a block south just parking stop curbs

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If it can work for NYC, it can work here. These lanes were just poorly designed, no way around it.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers
    If it can work for NYC, it can work here. These lanes were just poorly designed, no way around it.
    It makes a bit more sense in a city of 8.5 million (urban) versus 1.1 million (mostly suburban)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yes that's true. But Manhattan traffic is anything but light. In fact it's worse than it is here.

So if we're both looking at improving the cores of each, improving flow should be harder in NYC and yet it was a total success there.

Or do I need more coffee this morning?
    Ultracrepidarian

thank god for Nenshis hard on for bikes...changing calgary for the better one road at a time.

I have to wonder why this wasn't put on 13th Avenue - 13th just seems like a more logical and safer choice and better yet, there's a multi-use pathway being built into the 13th Avenue Heritage Greenway (north side of 13th Ave)..
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Drove it at lunch today. Was a traffic gong show, took 5 mins to go 2 blocks. Turns out trucks stopping for delivery doesn't have a curb lane anymore, so they just stop right in the middle of the road blocking an entire lane.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    Drove it at lunch today. Was a traffic gong show, took 5 mins to go 2 blocks. Turns out trucks stopping for delivery doesn't have a curb lane anymore, so they just stop right in the middle of the road blocking an entire lane.
    Yeah the left hand lane is a parking lane and in some places so is the right hand lane. They moved the parking signs out right next to the cycle track thing. So you do actually really park smack in the middle of the road. As best as I can tell that means that in some places at certain times of the day the road will actually go down to being a single lane?

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by rage2
    Don't worry, none of the budgeted money went to design. One third each to signs, paint and random dividers.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Yeah the left hand lane is a parking lane and in some places so is the right hand lane. They moved the parking signs out right next to the cycle track thing. So you do actually really park smack in the middle of the road. As best as I can tell that means that in some places at certain times of the day the road will actually go down to being a single lane?
    Like the parking lane out across the street from Hotel Arts. If you thought the parking lanes on 17th weren't wide enough for a parked car and a normal traffic lane, I'm pretty sure these parking/traffic lanes are even smaller.

I'm intrigued to see how this is going to work. I'm reserving all judgment until next summer after a full year.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

With no stopping signs, people still stopped with the hazard lights on.

Making a lane for a specific vehicle is stupid. It should at least be a multi purpose lane, motorcycle, bus lane, cyclist lane - like the rest of the world.

My Ride
    W204

Any pics?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Page 1 of 36 1 2 11 ... LastLast