Quantcast
12th Ave Cycle Track Lane Insanity - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 12th Ave Cycle Track Lane Insanity

Originally posted by Maxt

Degrees of pregnancy? Do you have a metric for fervor?
    Mar supported bike paths. Woolley made them key parts of his platform, gained the support of the bike lobby, community associations and other special interest groups and with that support, beat Mar despite him being an incumbent, relatively popular and also supporting these things.

Or on a scale of 1-10, Mar would be a 7, Woolley would be a 9.

The people who run Bike Calgary were rather stoked that Woolley winning that riding.

Originally posted by kertejud2
    You clearly have no idea what the people in your Ward want. They're the ones pushing for this and voted for a councillor who was pushing for this (over a rather popular incumbent to boot). What is holding it back is the people in other words who commute through, not the representatives of the ward itself. You're in the minority in your Ward and too ignorant to realize it.

The inner city communities (wards 7,8,9) all want more transportation options, and want those options to be safer and better.
    So now you're an authority on Ward 7 where I live?

Cool, I'll have to let my CA know because they don't have any concerns with the current transportation system and if anything, are concerned with Centre Street losing a couple of lanes soon in another pilot project.

It's also nice to know that the Cambrian Heights and Rosemont residents are probably just thrilled with the bike lane on 10th/Cambrian Drive that has backed up the NB PM traffic some kind of ridiculous from 14th street often back into Confederation Park. Used to be maybe a 2 or 3 block back-up and now it's regularly 7-8 blocks - yupp, that extra option sure had done some good there.

Really kertejud2, you are the best.
    Last edited by speedog; 05-24-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Originally posted by speedog

So now you're an authority on Ward 7 where I live?

Cool, I'll have to let my CA know because they don't have any concerns with the current transportation system and if anything, are concerned with Centre Street losing a couple of lanes soon in another pilot project.

Really kertejud2, you are the best.
    So a neighborhood that has become serviced by the busiest bus route in the city, likely borders on a major roadway getting a major pedestrian overhaul, has encroaching painted bike lanes and would have to be a stakeholder in any Green Line discussion has no transportation concerns?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I like how my accurate info gets ignored.

http://votecalgary.ca/ward/evan-woolley/

Improved infrastructure in Ward 8
    Improved transportation (better bus service, more lanes for buses and carpooling, more taxis)
    Recycling for condos and apartments
    Greater sustainability
    Safer communities
    Expand recreation
    Support for artists and cultural projects
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

So a neighborhood that has become serviced by the busiest bus route in the city, likely borders on a major roadway getting a major pedestrian overhaul, has encroaching painted bike lanes and would have to be a stakeholder in any Green Line discussion has no transportation concerns?

Roll your eyes all you wish because like I said before, you're apparently the authority and especially so on all things traffic related and the rest of us are just blowing smoke up people's arses.

Hmmm, did I say my community bordered Centre Street if that's what you're referencing? Centre Street plans are going to cause spill-over traffic into other communities that don't abut Centre Street or are not even serviced by the bus routes there.

19 years in my current home in Ward 7 as well as a total of 30 continuous years of living in various Ward 7 communities and 32 years total lived in Ward 7 over the past 36 years I've lived in Calgary apparently has no value. Shit, I've probably lived in Ward 7 as long as you've probably been alive or at least back to when you were a suckling babe.

My Ride
    something green

Mar supported bike paths. Woolley made them key parts of his platform, gained the support of the bike lobby, community associations and other special interest groups and with that support, beat Mar despite him being an incumbent, relatively popular and also supporting these things.

Or on a scale of 1-10, Mar would be a 7, Woolley would be a 9.

The people who run Bike Calgary were rather stoked that Woolley winning that riding.
    Gee and you get all huffy puffy when other people back up their posts with opinion and anecdotes.
    Those interest groups had nothing to lose with Mar despite you trying to make it out that Woolley won on a cycle track campaign alone. From what's left of their campaigns on line, the biggest standout issue between the two was the issue of suburban development and funding, and Wooley openly promising to be Nenshi's lap dog on the subject.
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by rage2
    I like how my accurate info gets ignored.

http://votecalgary.ca/ward/evan-woolley/

What about it? Woolley's idea of improving traffic includes multiple modes of transportation, and also included the idea of making 11th and 12th bi-directional (to improve pedestrian safety among other reasons).

His plans pretty much all involve eliminating commuter and/or parking lanes, which seems to be what is getting everyone so bent out of shape.

He's also an avid urban cyclist to boot.

What about it? Woolley's idea of improving traffic includes multiple modes of transportation, and also included the idea of making 11th and 12th bi-directional (to improve pedestrian safety among other reasons).

His plans pretty much all involve eliminating commuter and/or parking lanes, which seems to be what is getting everyone so bent out of shape.

Did you throw the skinnies on today and take a bike lane for brunch of 17th ave this morning or did mom make you breakfast when you woke up?

Classic underachiever attitude written all over you....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The point is his platform has nothing to do with cycling like you claimed. The point is he was favoring car traffic in his platform. The point is you're making shit up.

Another fun fact. 48% of Ward 8 residents use a car as their only mode of transport, by far the majority. It's in john mar's platform and stats, which also includes bike lanes. So if I put on my kertejud2 interpretation hat, John Mar actually lost the election because of bike lanes.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by Type_S1

Did you throw the skinnies on today and take a bike lane for brunch of 17th ave this morning or did mom make you breakfast when you woke up?

Classic underachiever attitude written all over you....
    What bike lane would I take to go for brunch on 17th?

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

What bike lane would I take to go for brunch on 17th?
    The one that goes down 5th Street?

But then it abruptly ends at 17th ave, where 5th becomes a two-way again, so cyclists are fed onto the wrong side of the street. Should work out really nice with the busy pedestrian crossing...

My Ride
    Bicycle

For the love of god, there were at least 10 illegally parked cars on 12th. Where are the tow trucks!

Shit show again.

Is there anywhere I can go to vote against this somehow, given that it's a pilot project? This morning was the worst traffic I have seen on 12th avenue in a very long time. At 11th ave, where 4 lanes become 3, it's just ridiculous.

My Ride
    WK2

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Is there anywhere I can go to vote against this somehow, given that it's a pilot project? This morning was the worst traffic I have seen on 12th avenue in a very long time. At 11th ave, where 4 lanes become 3, it's just ridiculous.
    This is what I have been using to communicate my displeasure.

Calgary 311 - Cycle Track

The extra 20 - 30 minutes it takes on 8th ave from 8th street to 11 street is just infuriating. Even more so when bikers completely ignore the stop signs and weave through the clustered traffic.

My Ride
    Grimace

There is also the 311 app/website I think it is different than that. I have seen lots of people submitting complaints already which is good as that is why we have it. Had to report 10th street south for the lights being out of sync againnnnnn

http://spot311.calgary.ca/

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by you&me
    The one that goes down 5th Street?
    I'm surprised he didn't come back with a "but it's not open yet" lol.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Nope. Even if you attended the open houses, you're not voting for anything. You're merely replying to questionnaires in the form of "I want this". They say that they're going to get feedback on this pilot project, but good luck getting YOUR feedback.

Get your voices heard in the next election. Vote out your councilmen that voted for this but don't vote in a Drever.

Epic level cluster fuck this morning once more! Lunch trucks and people randomly stopped in no parking areas with their hazards on. Fun times!

When can we rip this cycle track shit up and put it someplace else that makes sense instead of making everyone's commute a living hell?

My Ride
    W204

Holy shit didn't realize how bad it was till I actually drove it.. Went down 5th St from 9th Ave and it's a complete cluster fuck. I had to turn off at 10th Ave to head to McLeod instead as I really didn't want to stick around to see what 12th was going to be like LOL.

Now.. Could this be the goal? Restrict DT roads as much as possible while still making a small group happy, in the effort to piss off enough motorists to abandon their cars? Because I think this just might actually work...
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by rage2

I'm surprised he didn't come back with a "but it's not open yet" lol.
    What's he going to say? There's no defending this disaster, every time he tries he gets royally owned. There's literally nothing about this bike infrastructure he's been critical of, except for there not being enough of it I guess.

People in this thread and countless other threads, a mix of people who only drive, only bike or those that do a bit of both post about their frustrations and his response is always the same "No you're wrong it works perfect". There are things The City has done well, there are things they've designed and implemented poorly. To not see anything that deserves criticism is disingenuous.

If he doesn't work for The City he has to be affiliated with Bike Calgary, they're the only other clowns who behave that way about this whole debacle.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The blame has to be at least partly on the drivers stopping in the middle of road -- how could they not be?!
    Last edited by msommers; 05-25-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast