Quantcast
12th Ave Cycle Track Lane Insanity - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 12th Ave Cycle Track Lane Insanity

My Ride
    Grimace

Watching cars turning left from 7th onto 5th ave, no bicycles in sight but you have to wait for the turn signal. 5 cars made it through.....because 3 ran the yellow/red to turn. Amazing.

Originally posted by schocker
    Watching cars turning left from 7th onto 5th ave, no bicycles in sight but you have to wait for the turn signal. 5 cars made it through.....because 3 ran the yellow/red to turn. Amazing.
    Yup - I didn't even notice all those turn lights at first, but it's actually probably the worst part of the whole thing. They are treating it like there is a non-stop stream of cyclists going both directions 24hr a day with respect to how they are managing the traffic - AND cyclists always have the right of way according to the signs. I'm running out of ways to express just how bad it is haha.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Titan

I ride my bike daily from Hillhurst to Beltline and I think these are fucking stupid as hell. As a rider I look for the fast route to my destination. Following these tracks is not only slower but also fucks not only the turning traffic up but the biker if he needs to make a turn.

I understand what they are going for, but from what I've seen in other countries it's poorly planned.
    Last edited by lil*tymer; 05-27-2015 at 10:58 AM.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    So yeah at least the city of calgary has saved us from the terror of cyclist/joggers on the sidewalk! I know I feel soooo much safer on the sidewalks now!
    I almost got run over by a cyclist yesterday walking home. Open bike lane was right across the street.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by lilmira
    rofl

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I like how he made the parked car go 2mph.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Originally posted by Feruk

I almost got run over by a cyclist yesterday walking home. Open bike lane was right across the street.
    If you walking where one of the new cycle tracks are (5th St SW, 12th Ave SW, 8th Ave SW, 9th Ave SE), then the cyclists are not supposed to be in those cycle tracks as they have not been officially opened yet pet the city's web site (link).

I was driving down the 12th ave traffic jam at 8PM on Wednesday and someone in a dark grey B8 S4 had a camera out the sunroof video taping how ridiculous it was the whole way haha - which one of you was it?

Also I got a ride in this morning, it was down to one lane in some blocks, because people were stopped who wanted to turn both left and right. And of course anyone wanting to turn left can't do so on the green light since they have their own turn signal which is almost always red, so they clog up that lane. Also you aren't allowed to park on the side of the bike lane until 9AM, but several people did anyway, and that reduces those blocks down to 1-lane as well causing huge backups. My 10 minute drive in took 25 minutes today, and it's Friday, so I assume it would be worse any other weekday.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-29-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Originally posted by speedog

If you walking where one of the new cycle tracks are (5th St SW, 12th Ave SW, 8th Ave SW, 9th Ave SE), then the cyclists are not supposed to be in those cycle tracks as they have not been officially opened yet pet the city's web site (link).
    Yeah but if we want to get all technical and legal you are not allowed to ride on the sidewalks period(Unless you are under 14 years of age)... Not to mention you need to fully dismount if you want to ride through a crosswalk.

I noticed this morning they have changed the behavior of the walk lights for pedestrians. Now all sides of the road on the intersection of Mcleod trail and 12th Ave are red while they allow the pedestrians to walk and once the light becomes green it's still allowing pedestrians to walk. Why the hell do they not have an advanced turn to at least let some people through that damn intersection instead of having two lanes of cars waiting for bikes/pedestrians to clear the intersection.

Yeah but if we want to get all technical and legal you are not allowed to ride on the sidewalks period(Unless you are under 14 years of age)... Not to mention you need to fully dismount if you want to ride through a crosswalk.
    Big deal, it's been this way for years if not decades with respect to your two points above. With respect to the new cycle tracks, they're still officially closed and under construction - cyclists using them risk getting stopped and getting a fine.

What would you do as a cyclist - ride where you're legally able to or ride where it is still illegal to do so in this particular situation?

My Ride
    W204

Hmm interestingly yesterday afternoon (5PM) was not bad at all. Traffic moved on both 5th St. and 12th Ave, as usual. Don't know if I lucked out or not. But there were some dumbasses who parked their cars one block west of Hotel Arts even though the sign was clearly marked no stopping at that time.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

What would you do as a cyclist - ride where you're legally able to or ride where it is still illegal to do so in this particular situation?
    If we are talking about sidewalks then you're likely better off riding on the "closed" cycle track?

I think the officers would be hard pressed to find a fine that applies to riding on a part of the roadway that is closed whilst the sidewalk is clearly illegal and there are fines/rules that apply.

If we are talking about sidewalks then you're likely better off riding on the "closed" cycle track?

I think the officers would be hard pressed to find a fine that applies to riding on a part of the roadway that is closed whilst the sidewalk is clearly illegal and there are fines/rules that apply.
    Not sure if we're talking about riding on sidewalks or not - Feruk's post was the one I responded to and Feruk hasn't stated any further details of their particular noted situation.

I would assume Feruk was talking about a cyclist riding on a sidewalk and if that is indeed the case, then that cyclist should have been on the legal portion of the roadway they could be on adjacent to that sidewalk.

That all noted, I am quite sure that there are many police officers who turn a blind eye to cyclists on sidewalks in many situation - a police officer would probably rather see a cyclist on a relatively unused sidewalk as opposed on a busy street.

In Feruk's case, it was probably either 5th Street or 12th Avenue and in either of those cases, I personally wouldn't want to see a cyclist on a sidewalk there during many daylight hours as those tend to be busier pedestrian routes. And if this is indeed the case, then a cyclist who is uncomfortable with riding legally on either of those roads should either find an alternative less busy route or just get off and walk beside their bicycle on the sidewalk.

But there are always the exceptions and the cyclist community has just as many idiots among them as does the motorist community including self righteous idiots and also the ones who just don't have a clue. Feruk probably happened a cyclist that fit onto one of these two categories and I, as a pedestrian in Feruk's situation, would've been just as annoyed as Feruk was.

Either be legally on the street or walk your bicycle on the sidewalk when the sidewalk is a busy one - simple concept that some cyclists just do not get.

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-cal...wntown-calgary

Originally posted by Type_S1

Says on the petition "So the City of Calgary should not be able to go against what the majority of the public wants" yet only 1000 signatures is the goal
    ---

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by kenny

Says on the petition "So the City of Calgary should not be able to go against what the majority of the public wants" yet only 1000 signatures is the goal
    And?

That should be enough to have a majority over the number of cycle track users

Originally posted by Type_S1

Seems to have stalled out already, odd as I would've thought there would have enough upset beyond members to push it easily over the 1000 mark.

Seems to have stalled out already, odd as I would've thought there would have enough upset beyond members to push it easily over the 1000 mark.
    Too little too late

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast