Quantcast
Computer -> Squeezebox - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Computer -> Squeezebox

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Computer -> Squeezebox

I have a squeezebox that I've been using and my configuration has changed where I don't have my computer hard wired and also my squeezebox isn't hardwired. Everything is wireless now but the problem is I'm finding that it needs time to load or buffer and won't play some larger files continuously.

Before it was like this:

Internet -> Router -H/W-> Desktop Computer
    -H/W-> Squeezebox

Now it's from the router to each device but wirelessly.

My question is can I change this by going to:

Internet -> Router -W/L-> Desktop Computer -H/W-> Squeezebox

I tried this already with a long ethernet cord and it didn't seem to work. So I'm wondering if I need a different cord or the setup wasn't ever intended to work like this (which seems bizarre).

All the music is stored on my desktop and needs to play to the squeezebox.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    W204

You mean.. You want to wire your Squeezebox directly into your computer without something in between?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

You can wire the squeezebox to the computer but you'll need a couple of things.

1) Extra ethernet port
    2) Turn on Internet Sharing through your PC

Most devices can't handle MKV files across wireless as its a massive amount of data. I tried to stream MKVs using a PS3 with MediaServer and it would just choke on wireless.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by clem24
    You mean.. You want to wire your Squeezebox directly into your computer without something in between?
    Ideally yes, but I'm not sure 100% if they can communicate this way.

Originally posted by firebane

1) Extra ethernet port

Most devices can't handle MKV files across wireless as its a massive amount of data. I tried to stream MKVs using a PS3 with MediaServer and it would just choke on wireless.
    I'll try this tonight. I have also read about needing a crossover cable so I'm waiting for that from monoprice.

In my head this never seemed like much of a problem but it goes to show how little I understand how networking actually works
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

You don't need a x-over cable. Those are designed for a computer to computer communication only across a private network.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Well poop
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    W204

1) Extra ethernet port

Haha it's a Squeezebox.. It only does music. AFAIK the Squeezecenter re-encodes everything as FLAC before it sends it out to the device. The bandwidth is minimal.

I don't get why you'd do the wired connection directly to the computer though.. Also your Squeezebox will need to be setup to have it's on IP address and gateway (i.e. your computer). But how is the computer connected to the rest of the network? Wireless? Or do you have 2 network cards in there?? Makes no sense dude..

To go off topic, as for MKV over wireless, I USED to think this but as long as your router is fast enough and the signal strong enough, then I've had no issues streaming 10GB 1080p MKVs over wireless, and this is on a shitty 6 year old Acer netbook. Also no issues streaming to my little (newer) Dell Win 8 tablet.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

It definitely will buffer, it's weird, that's why I want it hard wired again. Some of the large vinyl FLAC files seem to be the main culprits. This is the router I have upstairs that is hardwired from the shaw modem:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2112768,00.asp

Downstairs is where my desktop is and where the squeezebox is. The desktop is connected wirelessly to the router and about 15-20ft from the squeezebox, which at the moment is also connected to the router wirelessly.

I don't know if my wireless card on my desktop is too old? Pretty sure it should be sufficient but I don't think it's N, rather G. I also don't know if the wireless in the squeezebox is meant to handle larger files either.

Hence the desire for hard wiring.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by msommers
    It definitely will buffer, it's weird, that's why I want it hard wired again. Some of the large vinyl FLAC files seem to be the main culprits. This is the router I have upstairs that is hardwired from the shaw modem:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2112768,00.asp

Downstairs is where my desktop is and where the squeezebox is. The desktop is connected wirelessly to the router and about 15-20ft from the squeezebox, which at the moment is also connected to the router wirelessly.

I don't know if my wireless card on my desktop is too old? Pretty sure it should be sufficient but I don't think it's N, rather G. I also don't know if the wireless in the squeezebox is meant to handle larger files either.

Hence the desire for hard wiring.
    Let me ask you something here. Are you trying to stream music from a central location to multiple locations? Like say a phone? Laptop? Cause if so there is software alternatives that will work 100x better.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

All the music files are on the desktop, being played through the squeezebox, and controlled via my phone connected to wifi network acting only as a remote.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

All the music files are on the desktop, being played through the squeezebox, and controlled via my phone connected to wifi network acting only as a remote.
    Take a look at this : http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Its a server/software based streaming service that does music and videos.

I personally use this and it works very well. I use it on my cell which obviously uses data but still plays very well.

My Ride
    W204

Take a look at this : http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Its a server/software based streaming service that does music and videos.

I personally use this and it works very well. I use it on my cell which obviously uses data but still plays very well.
    They Squeezebox is considered an audiophile device, hence why msommers is using it. Yes there are many alternatives but it's not likely to check the box next to sound quality.

OK I finally understand what you're doing. Strange setup indeed. I can totally see the issue here being that both your source and your client are going through the same wireless connection.

My best recommendation (and what I am doing), is that if you have an old computer lying around, consider converting it into a server. Run Linux or Vortexbox on it and also store stuff like vids, documents etc.. and have these available to all computer and phones on the network.

Or spend some money on a ReadyNAS device (about $300 + disks) which can load Squeezecenter and is DNLA ready.

As a bonus to both options, you can use them to backup files off your desktop (like your photos).

But.. To answer your question, I don't see an issue with hooking up the Squeezebox directly to the computer. Again you'll just have to configure the Squeezebox to static IP and using your computer as the host, and also assigning a static IP to your computer's network card. Shouldn't be a problem.

FYI I've never had any issues streaming stuff wirelessly to my Squeezebox and again, makes no difference what our source file is - I am pretty sure everything is encoded to 16/48 FLAC on Squeezecenter so regardless of whether you play low bit MP3 or 16/44 FLAC it's all the same.

UNLESS of course you're LPs are encoded at 24/96 or 192. And even then the bandwidth requirements are still minimal at best and should be negligible for a wireless network. I can't verify this though as my devices are classic devices which can't do anything past 16/48.

Finally, if you're not on N (A or B) then yeah you're living life in the slow lane dude. I don't even know how you'd stand your internet connection at those speeds LOL.
    Last edited by clem24; 05-26-2015 at 01:51 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Great suggestions
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by clem24

They Squeezebox is considered an audiophile device, hence why msommers is using it. Yes there are many alternatives but it's not likely to check the box next to sound quality.

OK I finally understand what you're doing. Strange setup indeed. I can totally see the issue here being that both your source and your client are going through the same wireless connection.

My best recommendation (and what I am doing), is that if you have an old computer lying around, consider converting it into a server. Run Linux or Vortexbox on it and also store stuff like vids, documents etc.. and have these available to all computer and phones on the network.

Or spend some money on a ReadyNAS device (about $300 + disks) which can load Squeezecenter and is DNLA ready.

As a bonus to both options, you can use them to backup files off your desktop (like your photos).

But.. To answer your question, I don't see an issue with hooking up the Squeezebox directly to the computer. Again you'll just have to configure the Squeezebox to static IP and using your computer as the host, and also assigning a static IP to your computer's network card. Shouldn't be a problem.

FYI I've never had any issues streaming stuff wirelessly to my Squeezebox and again, makes no difference what our source file is - I am pretty sure everything is encoded to 16/48 FLAC on Squeezecenter so regardless of whether you play low bit MP3 or 16/44 FLAC it's all the same.

UNLESS of course you're LPs are encoded at 24/96 or 192. And even then the bandwidth requirements are still minimal at best and should be negligible for a wireless network. I can't verify this though as my devices are classic devices which can't do anything past 16/48.

Finally, if you're not on N (A or B) then yeah you're living life in the slow lane dude. I don't even know how you'd stand your internet connection at those speeds LOL.
    The software I've linked streams audio at the bitrate that it was encoded at. If you play FLAC you get FLAC etc etc.

My Ride
    W204

The software I've linked streams audio at the bitrate that it was encoded at. If you play FLAC you get FLAC etc etc.
    Not the point.. It's out your phone; hardly a quality device. Poor DAC, poor outputs, etc...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Curious ... what Squeezebox do you have?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Squeezebox touch.

There was a lossless subscription mentioned in Askleo that sounds cool too, which can be loaded onto that Squeezebox.

As a very last resort I've decided that I can use a small repeater with a hard wire out and plug it in beside it. Might need one of these in the future anyways!
    Ultracrepidarian