Quantcast
Have you ever had a serious car accident? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Have you ever had a serious car accident?

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

I've been in no crashes that involved injury, but two that totaled vehicles.

One was in the mid-1990s driving my grandmother's '86 Pontiac Bonneville around downtown. Stopped at the light at 17 Ave & either 4th or 5th St SW (I forget which), intending to turn right. I began my turn as the light turned green for me, and just as I was about to breach the crosswalk I see a woman in white shirt and pants appear from in front of a white van (which had camouflaged her to me sort-of). I stopped so as to not cut her off, and got rear-ended by a kid in a Jeep Wrangler. He hit me hard enough to crease the roof of the car between the front and rear doors - couldn't open the rear doors at all. All the damage he did on his Jeep was bend a fender which he bent back into shape at-scene. He told the cop who showed up (yeah, they still did that those days) that he hadn't expected me to stop. He still got a following too close ticket. The Bonneville got written off due to the body & frame damage.

Another one was May 20, 2007. I remember it because I had had my first "mine since new" vehicle, a 2006 Subaru WRX, for 350 days. 4:45 in the morning I was driving up Highway 22 on the way to work and a deer leapt over the guardrail right into my lap, pretty much. At 100 km/h I had absolutely zero chance to brake. Somehow the air bags didn't go off and the windshield remained intact, even though the deer smacked the upper-left corner of the windshield with her face. The front end of the car basically exploded. Towed it to the dealer who shuffled it off to a collision place. They racked up $12.5k in damaged stuff (headlights, signal lights, front bumper, fog lights, both front fenders, rad & rad supports, battery & battery tray, cracked plastic timing shroud, top mount intercooler, and hood, plus some other stuff like windshield washer reservoir etc) before they found the cracked water pump mount, which is part of the engine block and that alone totaled the poor thing.

My Ride
    TypeR

Had a close call 8 years ago while leaving work in the industrial area. A semi truck was parked in the opposite lane and when I was driving towards it a suburban tried to go around it.

Long story short I slammed on the brakes and tried to avoid him only to have him clip the rear tire of my bike, sending me flying and my bIke into the curb. Fractured both forearms and got some nasty road rash on my left leg.

Ending up missing work for 5 months and suing him for lost wages / injuries. Lucky I recovered 100% minus a few scars and got super good at nhl and halo while rocking two slings lol.
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    you were 10, why weren't you and your sister wearing seatbelts?

parenting fail
    Originally posted by FixedGear
    You weren't even alive in the 80s so I won't fault you for not knowing this, but there wasn't the emphasis on seat belts that there is today. Heck, I remember being a kid and we didn't even have seatbelt laws, at least where I lived.
    My dad still emphasizes no seatbelts behind the drivers' seat. The po-po can't see through tinted windows

On topic: no I have never had a serious accident; only vehicle damages *knock on wood*

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by FixedGear
    You weren't even alive in the 80s so I won't fault you for not knowing this, but there wasn't the emphasis on seat belts that there is today. Heck, I remember being a kid and we didn't even have seatbelt laws, at least where I lived.
    Pretty much... Back in the day you could whatever the fuck you wanted LOL. Riding in the hatch of a wagon was awesome LOL.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

Originally posted by clem24
    Riding in the hatch of a wagon was awesome LOL.
    Oh please. I see that and raise you lying in the package shelf/back window of a sedan or 4-door.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

I know understand why insurance rates are so high for drivers under 25. I've had a couple of not at fault fender benders and a hit-and-run, but nothing major thankfully.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Do we define serious by injuries, or by damage to the vehicle?

Depending on that, my answer is either 'zero' or 'several'.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3