Quantcast
Edmonton named one of Nat Geo top Summer destinations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton named one of Nat Geo top Summer destinations

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Titan

Default Edmonton named one of Nat Geo top Summer destinations

The festival City Eh?

Not too shabby for a City that takes so much hate from it's friendly neighbours down South.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/05...n_7322174.html

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...09_600x450.jpg
    Last edited by lil*tymer; 05-21-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 10:35 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

so that's where the terrorists got the idea then

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

It's been funny talking to people who live in Edmonton recently. Apparently they have a lot more culture and better music scene. Calgary has much better restaurant choices I think. The river valley is nice. Otherwise, it's like 4 hours to the mountains which I'm not happy about
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    W204

LOL as much as we love to make fun of Edmonton, it really is a beautiful city in the summer. The River Valley is absolutely amazing, and that's not even considering that it's located right in the middle of the city.

Compared to Calgary, Edmonton easily more beautiful (and it's even more amazing in the fall), Whyte > 17th, food is cheaper and better (even Japanese WTF), Old Strathcona market > Calgary Farmer's Market, etc...

The Fringe Festival was pretty awesome this one year: hot chick, huge boobs, 1 trampoline. Oh. Yeah.

Winter sucks there though LOL.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by msommers
    Calgary has much better restaurant choices I think.
    Man when are people going to wake up and realize our restaurants here generally suck shit? Overpriced mediocre food with some very small exceptions. Edmonton is so fucking awesome for food; so many small mom and pop establishments. I don't really know what it is.

In Calgary, I've basically limited myself to a few places that I actually enjoy to eat at: Rouge, sushi, pho, Oh My Dog, and Five Guys LOL. Other times I'd rather just cook at home because food really sucks here.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I think you need to get out more! There are a bunch of places I like going to! Lots of breakfast places
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    W204

I think you need to get out more! There are a bunch of places I like going to! Lots of breakfast places
    Haha maybe.. That's why kids does to ya LOL.

Related to your comment though, breakfast.. What exactly makes it worth paying for and better than home?

My Ride
    G6

The only reason it made the list is the Women's "World Cup" this year.

Clem24, you must be out of your mind. I've had food up and down Whyte; it's quite terrible. I will agree Edmonton is way more reasonably priced though. Edmonton is a city you visit to get drunk for cheap and pick fights with blue collar workers and university students. That's about it. The city is unbelievably dreary. We have family up there, and I really despise going there.

Originally posted by clem24

Man when are people going to wake up and realize our restaurants here generally suck shit? Overpriced mediocre food with some very small exceptions. Edmonton is so fucking awesome for food; so many small mom and pop establishments. I don't really know what it is.

In Calgary, I've basically limited myself to a few places that I actually enjoy to eat at: Rouge, sushi, pho, Oh My Dog, and Five Guys LOL. Other times I'd rather just cook at home because food really sucks here.
    I don't know Edmonton well so I can't speak to the food there, but the fact that you listed Five Guys as one of Calgary's top restaurants you eat at makes me question your opinion haha.

Our food scene has grown significantly over the last few years and we have some excellent restaurants in the city now. I can't speak to price, but we have some top notch places to visit.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Well now that explains why Price is Right decided to send someone to Edmonton as a prize!

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Related to your comment though, breakfast.. What exactly makes it worth paying for and better than home?
    Go to OEB and have one of their Box'd items.

But yeah, for a basic two eggs, bacon, toast type breakfast, no where is worth it.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by anarchy

I don't know Edmonton well so I can't speak to the food there, but the fact that you listed Five Guys as one of Calgary's top restaurants you eat at makes me question your opinion haha.
    OK well name me a place that serves an amazing burger and fries for $12 that you can have again and again and is better than Five Guys and I'll go try it.

Again for restaurants I can name a few that are really amazing, and Rouge is one of them. Name me another that's actually good/worth it and I'll go try it.

As for food on Whyte being better, I didn't say that. I said Whyte > 17th Ave; more as a general scene and number/variety of shops, markets, etc.. 17th really is pretty lame.

In all though, the article is correct - Edmonton is a better place to visit IMO and you just can't deny that it's a more beautiful city with more things to do. Calgary is (personally speaking) a better place to live since our winters aren't as brutal and we get no where near the mosquitoes.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Clem, you're looking for a good deal and amazing food Here in Calgary that just costs you money haha
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Edmonton for Taylor Swift! lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Model S

This makes about as much sense as those things that call Vancouver a "livable city". Those publications must be owned by foreign investors.

My Ride
    W204

Clem, you're looking for a good deal and amazing food Here in Calgary that just costs you money haha
    LOL not at all.. I am happy to pay for amazing food; I am not happy to pay for not amazing food, which I think is the story of Calgary. In Edmonton, you get what you pay for. Here, you don't.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 09:04 PM.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    I'm sorry that you haven't got to discover what Calgary has to offer, it seems like you just need to get out more before making a valid comparison. Don't like 17th? How about Kensington? Inglewood? 4th? Marda Loop? Stephen Ave? Bowness? I don't think Edmonton has a place comparable to Sushi Bar Miki or Notable.
    I like both cities. Both have their shitty areas, but both have some really nice parts too. Was just in Calgary for the weekend and really enjoyed walking Weasel head park. Sweet Jesus is the traffic getting worse over the last few years or is it me?

If you are looking for Japanese food in Edmonton, Izakaya Tomo is great. More authentic Japanese food than most places.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

OK well name me a place that serves an amazing burger and fries for $12 that you can have again and again and is better than Five Guys and I'll go try it.
    Boogies Burgers on Edmonton Tr. WAY better of a burger than Five Guys...

Again for restaurants I can name a few that are really amazing, and Rouge is one of them. Name me another that's actually good/worth it and I'll go try it.
    IMHO, Model Milk is leagues above Rouge. Better pricing too if you go to their Sunday night family special.

As for food on Whyte being better, I didn't say that. I said Whyte > 17th Ave; more as a general scene and number/variety of shops, markets, etc.. 17th really is pretty lame.
    I think 01RedDX summed it up well:

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    I'm sorry that you haven't got to discover what Calgary has to offer, it seems like you just need to get out more before making a valid comparison. Don't like 17th? How about Kensington? Inglewood? 4th? Marda Loop? Stephen Ave? Bowness? I don't think Edmonton has a place comparable to Sushi Bar Miki or Notable.

Just sounds like you've seen more of Edmonton than Calgary, that's all.

In all though, the article is correct - Edmonton is a better place to visit IMO and you just can't deny that it's a more beautiful city with more things to do. Calgary is (personally speaking) a better place to live since our winters aren't as brutal and we get no where near the mosquitoes.
    Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I do agree, Edmonton's downtown valley is more unique than Calgary's valley, but downtown as a whole, I prefer Calgary's skyline and views better. As for activities, I'm not sure what you consider "things to do" but each city offers different activities that would, again, IMO, put each on par with each other. I do, however, agree with you on getting quality food for what you pay for, but I think BOTH Edmonton and Calgary fail on that one. Every other major City in Canada has better bang for your buck for food.
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 05-25-2015 at 04:46 PM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast