Quantcast
One Day/Short Term Car Insurance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: One Day/Short Term Car Insurance

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Question One Day/Short Term Car Insurance

I'm in Alberta for a few weeks and looking to borrow a mates truck. Unfortunately my Alberta license has expired so I'll be using my UK one.

I can't seem to find much on short term car insurance, has anyone got any info on this? Or the best place to do this? I'll have the truck for a week max.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You would normally be covered under your "mates" insurance. As far as i know, all all policies in Alberta cover short term loans to other drivers.

Do you have coverage in the UK currently? Some policies cover vehicles rented or borrowed in other countries.

Also, if you can't work this out, just rent a car for that week while you are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    FB6

Almost seems easier to just rent a vehicle for a week. IMO

You can find pretty good deals for weekly rentals if you look around. Priceline is a good place to start looking.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You cant insure what you do not own... but yes his policy should cover casual drivers... but if anything happens his rates will take the hit

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

The insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver. You can't insure the vehicle as you don't own it. The insurance that is already on the vehicle will still be valid however if you cause an accident your Mate's insurance rates will go up for six years.

Best to just rent something.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    The insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver. You can't insure the vehicle as you don't own it. The insurance that is already on the vehicle will still be valid however if you cause an accident your Mate's insurance rates will go up for six years.

Best to just rent something.
    Derail: My dad and I are insured through the same brokerage and insurer on separate policies. The broker said we could swap cars and the accidents caused would hit the driver's rates, not the vehicle owner's. Is this true?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by jwslam

Derail: My dad and I are insured through the same brokerage and insurer on separate policies. The broker said we could swap cars and the accidents caused would hit the driver's rates, not the vehicle owner's. Is this true?
    Sort of, possible, maybe, with a back-room deal, nothing in writing, no guarantees.

It's too long of a process to write it out here but don't hang your hat on that idea. And even if it gets accomplished (a claim transferred from one policy to the other), it's only valid with that insurance company. Both of you would be tied in to that company for six years or more.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it may not be worth the risk so I might end up renting.

Surprised there is nothing like that out in Canada but oh well. I'll try priceline out too, thanks for the link.

My Ride
    changes every year

So, I'm selling a car and I took the insurance off of it, what do I do if someone wants to test drive it? Can you get a short term insurance for this type of situation?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by jwslam
    Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Sort of, possible, maybe, with a back-room deal, nothing in writing, no guarantees.

It's too long of a process to write it out here but don't hang your hat on that idea. And even if it gets accomplished (a claim transferred from one policy to the other), it's only valid with that insurance company. Both of you would be tied in to that company for six years or more.
    TD did this for me when my brother wrote off my E55. He had to stay with TD insurance for a few years with a claim on his history which kept my claims history clean.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by /////AMG
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like it may not be worth the risk so I might end up renting.

Surprised there is nothing like that out in Canada but oh well. I'll try priceline out too, thanks for the link.
    There is, just not in Alberta. Anywhere with government provided insurance (BC, Sask, and Ontario for instance) all have temporary transit insurance available because duh, its just a really obvious thing people need and the insurance corporations don't have them by the balls.

You can get 7 day insurance passes in BC without need of an inspection, which would be amazing for people with rally cars