Quantcast
Stolen Cars By Family. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stolen Cars By Family.

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

Default Stolen Cars By Family.

So long story short, my father owns two cars which are stored on an uncles farm for the past 15 years or so. These car's are locked in a barn by Smokey Lake, Alberta. Both cars are something I planned to keep and restore, one is a 52 Chevy and the other is a 74 GTO. I have the bills of sale, my father is last registered owner of the 74 GTO. Here is where it gets interesting... My Dads Father in law (my grandfather), who he has not spoken too in 10 years has towed them out of storage and sold them both for $500 to his mechanic friend in Leduc. He called (may 20th) to let me know what he did. I was in complete shock, the cars do not belong to him, the property does not belong to him... Nothing belongs to him.

So I yesterday (may 21st) I called the mechanic who sold them and from the sounds of it the 52 chevy was parted out then scrapped, and the GTO was sold to a different owner... I think.. He wouldnt tell me where or much details. I asked how he sold them without any pink slips and I think he said he had pinks for both... Which is a 100% lie as I have them both sitting in the owners manual here in Calgary.

So I've reported both cars stolen, the chances of getting the 52 chevy back are gone.. But there is still hope that the GTO is not scrapped.

Legally could I go after the mechanic? I'm so frustrated, I feel I may visit my grandpa to see him in person one last time, just to make sure he has a good memory of me before he dies.

He did this without anyone knowing, the rest of the family (we dont speak to much) caught on when the RCMP tagged him for a hit and run coming back from towing the cars. Thats another story...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Re: Stolen Cars By Family.

Originally posted by OneGreasyHobo
    So long story short, my father owns two cars which are stored on an uncles farm for the past 15 years or so. These car's are locked in a barn by Smokey Lake, Alberta. Both cars are something I planned to keep and restore, one is a 52 Chevy and the other is a 74 GTO. I have the bills of sale, my father is last registered owner of the 74 GTO. Here is where it gets interesting... My Dads Father in law (my grandfather), who he has not spoken too in 10 years has towed them out of storage and sold them both for $500 to his mechanic friend in Leduc. He called (may 20th) to let me know what he did. I was in complete shock, the cars do not belong to him, the property does not belong to him... Nothing belongs to him.

So I yesterday (may 21st) I called the mechanic who sold them and from the sounds of it the 52 chevy was parted out then scrapped, and the GTO was sold to a different owner... I think.. He wouldnt tell me where or much details. I asked how he sold them without any pink slips and I think he said he had pinks for both... Which is a 100% lie as I have them both sitting in the owners manual here in Calgary.

So I've reported both cars stolen, the chances of getting the 52 chevy back are gone.. But there is still hope that the GTO is not scrapped.

Legally could I go after the mechanic? I'm so frustrated, I feel I may visit my grandpa to see him in person one last time, just to make sure he has a good memory of me before he dies.

He did this without anyone knowing, the rest of the family (we dont speak to much) caught on when the RCMP tagged him for a hit and run coming back from towing the cars. Thats another story...
    If you are the legal owner, and have the BoS to prove it, yes, you can report them both as stolen. Your grandfather would be charged with theft. The RCMP could also visit the mechanic and recover whatever they can of the chev, and try and track down any parts that were sold (long shot).

If you have any recent pictures of them, you can also try and have them appraised for approximate value, and then sue your grandfather to recover those costs.

But yes, now that the GTO registration has been flagged, a wrecker can't dismantle it, nor can it be re-registered, so chances are pretty decent that you can get that one back. Especially once the RCMP show up there, the mechanic either coughs up the info, or can be charged along side your grandfather.

Best thing you can do, is get an affidavit signed from your father that he either gifted or sold the cars to you, and on what date, that way it leaves no question that your grandfather could make no claim to the vehicles.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Wow, that's crazy. Seems like everything was preplanned.

A car getting scrapped and parted out one day after, and the other one sold immediately as well. Is that typical for a shop? I don't know. Mechanic sounds just as sleazy to me.

Good luck with the recovery.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by rx7boi
    Wow, that's crazy. Seems like everything was preplanned.

A car getting scrapped and parted out one day after, and the other one sold immediately as well. Is that typical for a shop? I don't know. Mechanic sounds just as sleazy to me.

Good luck with the recovery.
    Pretty much. The mechanic knows he is sitting on a gold mine, and as such, is trying to play it down.

I would make sure that you tell him they are now reported as stolen, and that he is now in possession of stolen goods, and have the RCMP visit him ASAP before they get moved.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

If it's a small town, I'd go one step further and put up a ton of flyers with pictures of both cars, the fact that they are stolen and reported as such to the RCMP and last seen in the possession of the mechanic and offer a reward for recovery.

I'd also press the RCMP to pursue charges of receiving stolen property against the mechanic. You could also contact AMVIC, since the mechanic is licensed through them, I'm sure they'd be interested to know about a chop shop.

I'd find out where the second car is first and go get it back. Then do what I posted above.
    Last edited by FraserB; 05-22-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Old persons adage: Use it or lose it, fix it or nix it. Not necessarily right or wrong, but as one ages - it does make more sense.

Like the Harper goverment revoking wireless spectrum. Sure, you may have bought the rights to use it for a Billion $, but if you do not use it - you will lose it. No "hoarding" allowed, like some countries that are now thinking of banning people from buying more than three personal vehicles per license.

Asian parental logic: If your parents order you to sledgehammer your Xbox that you bought with your own money - then its just good parenting.

Last edited by ZenOps; 05-22-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

Default Re: Re: Stolen Cars By Family.

Originally posted by spikerS

If you are the legal owner, and have the BoS to prove it, yes, you can report them both as stolen. Your grandfather would be charged with theft. The RCMP could also visit the mechanic and recover whatever they can of the chev, and try and track down any parts that were sold (long shot).

If you have any recent pictures of them, you can also try and have them appraised for approximate value, and then sue your grandfather to recover those costs.

But yes, now that the GTO registration has been flagged, a wrecker can't dismantle it, nor can it be re-registered, so chances are pretty decent that you can get that one back. Especially once the RCMP show up there, the mechanic either coughs up the info, or can be charged along side your grandfather.

Best thing you can do, is get an affidavit signed from your father that he either gifted or sold the cars to you, and on what date, that way it leaves no question that your grandfather could make no claim to the vehicles.

Yeah, gives me some hope. I just can't believe how he thought they were his cars?? I hope for my own dads sanity that he's able to get his car back.

I do really like the flyer idea.. I'm just going to let law enforcement handle it from here... I'm not letting an 85 year old man get the last laugh.

Yeah totatlly, I agree with the use it or lose it.. But both cars are on a GIANT farm in the back lot. Uncle rents the house out and doesn't use the rest. He stores an old tractor infront of the cars...

I'm amazed how an much energy my grandpa had though... To pull out three dead machines, one giant tractor had to be pulled out first. Then a 5 hour drive back to Leduc... That was not an easy job.. My main concern is the GTO.. Yes recovering the 52 would be nice, but hell will be raised if I don't have the car back in either my garage here in calgary or back in the farm.
    Last edited by OneGreasyHobo; 05-22-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Maybe they were his cars.

VIN's didnt really exist before 1950's. Registrars were pretty iffy back in the old days too, its was all pretty much rubber stamped. If you registered a vehicle I'm not totally sure that they would deny you if you rode it in.

Bill of Sale would definitely help, but then again - in the era, things were often done on handshakes. IE: I will sell you this car for a years work, or for a few haystacks type of idea. But then again, without a triplicate reciept with signature, anyone can forge a bill of sale.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-22-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Maybe they were his cars.

VIN's didnt really exist before 1950's. Registrars were pretty iffy back in the old days too, its was all pretty much rubber stamped. If you registered a vehicle I'm not totally sure that they would deny you if you rode it in.

Bill of Sale would definitely help, but then again - in the era, things were often done on handshakes. IE: I will sell you this car for a years work, or for a few haystacks type of idea.
    You know its honestly amazing, when I called the police, they had all records of everything.. They even knew the last driver of the 52 (Mothers grandparent). I was pretty shocked, I just want the cars back.. Thats all I want.

Wish I had some pictures.. The ones I have are all in a photo album.
    Last edited by OneGreasyHobo; 05-22-2015 at 01:35 PM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Default Re: Re: Re: Stolen Cars By Family.

Yeah, gives me some hope. I just can't believe how he thought they were his cars?? I hope for my own dads sanity that he's able to get his car back.

I do really like the flyer idea.. I'm just going to let law enforcement handle it from here... I'm not letting an 85 year old man get the last laugh.

Yeah totatlly, I agree with the use it or lose it.. But both cars are on a GIANT farm in the back lot. Uncle rents the house out and doesn't use the rest. He stores an old tractor infront of the cars...

I'm amazed how an much energy my grandpa had though... To pull out three dead machines, one giant tractor had to be pulled out first. Then a 5 hour drive back to Leduc... That was not an easy job.. My main concern is the GTO.. Yes recovering the 52 would be nice, but hell will be raised if I don't have the car back in either my garage here in calgary or back in the farm.
    Just taking a wild stab here, but it just sounds like a final middle finger from an 85 year old man.

Maybe there is some family story that is none of our business but it takes some dedication to take 2 vehicles out of storage after a decade and change, sell them for half a grand, and then gives an ex post facto phone call to "let you know what he did."

Old folks can be the cruelest sometimes

So did you tell the mechanic what is up and have him cough up the information?
    Last edited by rx7boi; 05-22-2015 at 02:13 PM.

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Stolen Cars By Family.

Just taking a wild stab here, but it just sounds like a final middle finger from an 85 year old man.

Maybe there is some family story that is none of our business but it takes some dedication to take 2 vehicles out of storage after a decade and change, sell them for half a grand, and then gives an ex post facto phone call to "let you know what he did."

Old folks can be the cruelest sometimes

So did you tell the mechanic what is up and have him cough up the information?

It could be a final shot at my dad... My Father disowned him 10 years ago when he found out he was a poacher... I won't get into much detail but, theres a reason we don't associate with him or that side of the family. Hes fucked, and getting worse.

He HIT a fucking school bus on the way back from the farm.. Then Booked it, when the police came he said he hit some dirt...

And its not his first hit and run...

Think of the meanest thing possible a grandson could do to a grandparent and I swear I'd do it.

I want to take a picture of his truck and make a kijij add for like 20 bucks and have people constantly call the old bugger.

Default Re: Stolen Cars By Family.

Technically you can charge gramps with breaking and entering along with theft...

As for the mechanic you should likely report him both to the police and to Alberta Transportation. He may or may not get his inspection license revoked over something along these lines.

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

Default Re: Re: Stolen Cars By Family.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Technically you can charge gramps with breaking and entering along with theft...

As for the mechanic you should likely report him both to the police and to Alberta Transportation. He may or may not get his inspection license revoked over something along these lines.
    I'm not sure how he even got in. I'd have to call my uncle, I'm guessing my uncle is probably unaware of everything...

When I called my grandfather yesterday to just ask why he did all this. He said my uncle wanted them moved... Then I heard my grandmother( Super sweet woman, still love her to death) Yell at the phone "NICK STOP LYING"...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Wow that's brutal. Let us know what happens. Hoping you get your car back.

If you guys hate your grandpa that much, charge the old coot.

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Wow that's brutal. Let us know what happens. Hoping you get your car back.

If you guys hate your grandpa that much, charge the old coot.
    Oh man, the mention of his name turns my dads face red. I'll keep you posted, RCMP said they would phone back later today once they talk to the mechanic.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stolen Cars By Family.

It could be a final shot at my dad...
    Seems like a bunch of criminal charges and a lawsuit would be a good parting gift in return.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

That mechanic is gonna try to grease his way out no doubt and minimize his liability.

Should definitely make his life a bit harder and incentivize him to cough up the info on the goods. He sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Probably can't prove shit on him as the old coot was the one that initiated this??
    Last edited by rx7boi; 05-22-2015 at 02:59 PM.

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

That mechanic is gonna try to grease his way out no doubt and minimize his liability.

Should definitely make his life a bit harder and incentivize him to cough up the info on the goods. He sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Probably can't prove shit on him as the old coot was the one that initiated this??
    My aunt said she said an email to him not touch the cars because they are not his... I asked her to forward it to me.. If I had that, nail in the coffin.

My aunt trys to babysit my grandpa best she can do.. But he's a sneaky old man.

My Ride
    is broken

Prison is probably a set up from the old folks homes in Alberta anyway.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    G37, Gsxr600

Originally posted by jacky4566
    Prison is probably a set up from the old folks homes in Alberta anyway.
    Yeah exactly, prison is also cheaper too!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast