Quantcast
<rant>People don't know how to sell their cars - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: <rant>People don't know how to sell their cars

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 10:52 PM.

My Ride
    Forester STI

I havent read the rest of the thread, but I'm with OP.. how hard is it to:

1. Wash the car
    2. Take photo's from each side, the engine bay, cargo area and dash/interior
    3. Take photo's.. it boggles my mind how many ad's asking top dollar dont even have a picture of the vehicles. "I'll upload pictures later".. how about you not post the ad til you have them

Out to lunch prices. You wont get more than the dealers are asking.. if you're selling a roller, you wont get the money a work vehicle gets..

I think my biggest peev, aside from OP's "is mint" with obvious damage, is "car is perfect only problem is *insert major mechanical issue*". A "perfect" car doesnt have a blown turbo/trans/clutch/head gasket. The "easy fix" issue is another one, if it was easy why didnt they fix it.
    The Lazymans Signature (tm)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

As much as I think having a good ad and being flexible on the sale is convenient if you are a buyer it is completely within the rights of people to do things their own way. There are lots of good reasons for going against your rant.

I currently have 2 cars "for sale". I have a price in my head that I tell people. That price is not a need to sell it now price, but the price I willing to let the 2 vehicles I still use go for.

For test driving I personally wouldn't let anyone test drive my bmw if it was for sale. They could ride along with me to confirm no mechanical faults. Or if they want to know what it's like I'll point them to the dealer to bag their demo car. I'm not a commission car salesmen, I couldn't give 2 shits about helping you find the car that's right for you. Prerequisite for buying a private sale car is already knowing what you want.

You can't get mad at people for having a firm price or not being in a rush to sell. It weeds out all the idiots who lowball you for thousands off asking. Like you said you don't even call if I'm not willing to negotiate. That's exactly what I want.

Tons of sellers are looking for the right buyer to get what they feel is fair for their well maintained clean car that is in many cases their pride and joy. Maybe they are jaded in this manner but it doesn't really matter. And there are always buyers out there who are willing to pay for such models. It just takes time.

When I look on kijiji Or auto trader I always start high price to low. Not because I'm an idiot and like overpaying for things. But because I find the ones listed for the best price often aren't even worth looking at. Always something stupid wrong with them.

Just my 2 cents on the topic, been thinking about it alot. I'm diving in a bit late to the thread I guess.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit
    I still regret not taking the trade of an above ground pool for my old beater jeep...

Kijiji is great.
    My friend got offered a used marble bath tub for his honda 250 dirtbike. They also wanted him to deliver the bike to Red Deer from Medicine Hat and help take the bath tub out.

Originally posted by killramos

I currently have 2 cars &quot;for sale&quot;. I have a price in my head that I tell people. That price is not a need to sell it now price, but the price I willing to let the 2 vehicles I still use go for.

For test driving I personally wouldn't let anyone test drive my bmw if it was for sale. They could ride along with me to confirm no mechanical faults. Or if they want to know what it's like I'll point them to the dealer to bag their demo car. I'm not a commission car salesmen, I couldn't give 2 shits about helping you find the car that's right for you. Prerequisite for buying a private sale car is already knowing what you want.
    I don't understand why people post things for sale if they aren't really looking to sell them. This concept doesn't make sense to me. Nothing says that just because its forsale it means you're in dire need of the cash and are willing to bend over for it. Its either for sale or it isn't.

Me personally, I would never ever ever buy a vehicle if I wasn't allowed to test drive it. That just screams "I'm hiding something" to me. I, by no means, ever expect to take someone else's vehicle out alone (and always ride with people when they test drive my vehicles) but how can you expect to sell a car if the person can't drive it? I'm sure there are cases where this works, but I just don't understand it. The only exception to that would be a motorcycle. I would be okay following or driving beside the owner on his bike.

But like you said: different strokes for different folks
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Originally posted by ddduke
    Or if you're selling a vehicle it's an arab email address.
    Try selling a used Cayenne. Literally the worst.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by Mibz
    You get all the bros and cuzns who are balling on budgets?

Best offer i had for my bike...

"Hey I like your bike. Do you have any interest in a 2012 les Paul Gibson guitar? It will be worth over $100,000 in 20 years if kept in its current condition! Great conversations piece if you don't play. I would like to make this work. Let me know. Thanks. If your interested feel free to text me at 1-403-******** for pics. "

Another one that might have been decent was money plus a mountain bike that is 1000 brand new and a brand new nixon watch

I always put as much information on my on my Ad, I try to do as much maintenance as possible myself on things so records are never really available except receipts of purchased materials.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I was in that boat not long ago. I don't think I've had anything besides Lebanese guys contact me. I even had one guy meet me at the gym and spend over an hour having his cousin, uncle and friend stop by to each have their hand at negotiating. It took me an entire hour to explain to them what I'm not going a cent lower then X meant and that my X amount in $2000 below asking and my asking is the lowest on the market for an S model with similar km/year.

Why does every leb need an escalade, cayenne or white bmw?
    Last edited by ddduke; 05-26-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    Blue boy

I was in that boat not long ago. I don't think I've had anything besides Lebanese guys contact me. I even had one guy meet me at the gym and spend over an hour having his cousin, uncle and friend stop by to each have their hand at negotiating. It took me an entire hour to explain to them what I'm not going a cent lower then X meant and that my X amount in $2000 below asking and my asking is the lowest on the market for an S model with similar km/year.

Why does every leb need an escalade, cayenne or white bmw?
    Are you positive he was leb though? Could he have been of any other brown ethnicity?

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

I think I've always made very good 'for sale' threads on beyond/kijiji.

Some of the weird things that come to mind as a seller, was when I was selling my s2000 and NSX.

I had people contact me who just wanted to become friends because they liked my car. He would go into a detailed e-mail about HIS car, and then when I responded asking if he wanted to buy my s2000, the answer was casually "oh no, I just saw your car and it brought back some great memories which I wanted to tell you about". Thanks.

When I was selling my NSX, I had a guy contact me who was interested in my s2000 mentioned above. He hmmm'd and hawww'd about it for quite some time, and didn't end up going with it. Which is fine. This time, he wanted to argue with me about the picture I took of the gauge cluster. He INSISTED it was blue (and therefore aftermarket) when I told him it was an OEM cluster and that the camera flash may have made the cluster appear to be blue vs. black. I didn't hear from him when I asked him if he wanted to come see the car and verify it for himself.

When I was selling my CSX, a guy who showed up in full-on acura track suit + ball cap REFUSED to take my car for a test drive when I offered. Apparently he had made a 45 min trip to see the car too. I had parked the car outside so he probably took a peek at it before ringing the bell. My theory is that he thought he would be coming to see a car that had tones of hail damage or was in no where near the condition explained in my ad. He realized my price was at least fair, and that he wasn't going to get it for half of my asking price. So in a way, he saved my time too.

I swear, some people scour kijiji selling ads to talk your head off or make new friends, and nothing else.
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 05-26-2015 at 03:47 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Side story: Went to buy a BMW X5 last week. Test drove it, inspected it with my mechanic, negotiated and everything. When it came time to sign the papers, turns out he didn't even own the thing. Claimed the owners were in Hong Kong and couldn't sell it before they left. Might very well be true (who knows), but I'm not going to take that kind of risk.
    I did this with both of our CEO's cars after he left for the US. Listed them pretty low prices too. Surprised nobody questioned if it was a scam haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by G-ZUS

Are you positive he was leb though? Could he have been of any other brown ethnicity?
    Nope, Lebanese tree on one guys neck. Another guy told me "bro, I'm Lebanese, I gotta negotiate a bit"
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Nope, Lebanese tree on one guys neck. Another guy told me &quot;bro, I'm Lebanese, I gotta negotiate a bit&quot;

My Ride
    Blue boy

Nope, Lebanese tree on one guys neck. Another guy told me &quot;bro, I'm Lebanese, I gotta negotiate a bit&quot;

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I don't know. IMO STI's bring all the cretins out of the woodwork and there are so many tire kickers that can't afford them. Even selling privately I had several people asking if I would accept a payment plan and people that would call several times to ask questions, set up a time to come look at the car and never show up or hear from them again. Selling my STI was the worst experience I have ever had selling a car as so much time wasted. I could have hung on to it longer and got more money but I was so tired of the BS that I took a lower deal than I could have just to end the madness.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    I think I've always made very good 'for sale' threads on beyond/kijiji.

Some of the weird things that come to mind as a seller, was when I was selling my s2000 and NSX.

I had people contact me who just wanted to become friends because they liked my car. He would go into a detailed e-mail about HIS car, and then when I responded asking if he wanted to buy my s2000, the answer was casually &quot;oh no, I just saw your car and it brought back some great memories which I wanted to tell you about&quot;. Thanks.

When I was selling my NSX, I had a guy contact me who was interested in my s2000 mentioned above. He hmmm'd and hawww'd about it for quite some time, and didn't end up going with it. Which is fine. This time, he wanted to argue with me about the picture I took of the gauge cluster. He INSISTED it was blue (and therefore aftermarket) when I told him it was an OEM cluster and that the camera flash may have made the cluster appear to be blue vs. black. I didn't hear from him when I asked him if he wanted to come see the car and verify it for himself.

When I was selling my CSX, a guy who showed up in full-on acura track suit + ball cap REFUSED to take my car for a test drive when I offered. Apparently he had made a 45 min trip to see the car too. I had parked the car outside so he probably took a peek at it before ringing the bell. My theory is that he thought he would be coming to see a car that had tones of hail damage or was in no where near the condition explained in my ad. He realized my price was at least fair, and that he wasn't going to get it for half of my asking price. So in a way, he saved my time too.

I swear, some people scour kijiji selling ads to talk your head off or make new friends, and nothing else.

My favorites lately include "is X item still for sale?"

So i reply, "yep"

nothing back. Like what the fuck, were you curious if i still had it? Just checking? Does it make you sleep better at night, knowing that i still have my item?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

My favorites lately include &quot;is X item still for sale?&quot;

So i reply, &quot;yep&quot;

nothing back. Like what the fuck, were you curious if i still had it? Just checking? Does it make you sleep better at night, knowing that i still have my item?
    Yep. I literally got one or two of these every day for 5 weeks. Even worse were the;

"I'm very interested in your STI. Can you tell me about it? Any accidents? How much warranty left? Are you the original owner?"

I would make a long winded response and 50% of the time there would be no response after. Nothing. I was getting so tired of it I just made a canned response and pasted that response to every question.

Back to the title of the thread. IMO it's worse for sellers as the percentage of real buyers is very small and the majority are all tire kickers and time wasters.
    Last edited by heavyD; 05-26-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Originally posted by heavyD
    I could have hung on to it longer and got more money but I was so tired of the BS that I took a lower deal than I could have just to end the madness.
    You accepted what someone offered. So, you got exactly what your car was worth. Nothing more. Nothing less. To think otherwise is misguided.
    I'd vote for him. America may have a black guy, but we'd have captain fucking Kirk.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Str1der

You accepted what someone offered. So, you got exactly what your car was worth. Nothing more. Nothing less. To think otherwise is misguided.
    LOL what a stupid thing to say. I got exactly what I accepted but I could have held out for more and got it as I actually got a higher offer after the car was conditionally sold. Since I'm a man of my word I didn't go back to the buyer and ask for more. I also got a higher offer from a guy in Toronto but turned it down because I didn't want the hassle of dealing with a guy that far away and putting it on a train unless the money was considerably more to make it worth my while.

The correct saying is that your car is worth what the market is willing to pay not what one person offers you. Lots of people will hold out months to get their original asking price. I chose not to but I can accept that as I simply didn't have the room for an extra car and didn't feel the value in waiting another month just for an extra $1000.
    Last edited by heavyD; 05-26-2015 at 08:27 PM.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Another thing that's been bothering me lately is guys who are selling more rare and expensive cars not posting phone numbers then not replying to emails and not deleting ads if they've sold. The guys who do reply take at least a week to reply, like if I'm trying to contact you I'm interested now and looking now, not a week from now, there's a good chance I'll find something else by then.

This is most apparent in muscle cars and Vipers I've noticed. I've probably inquired about 15 vehicles Canada wide in the last month and 1 has gotten back to me but he took about a week and when we finally talked over the phone he mentioned some things that made me not want the car anymore.

Must be a generational thing.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast