Quantcast
Another Edmonton condo burns down - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Another Edmonton condo burns down

Default Another Edmonton condo burns down

http://globalnews.ca/news/2013075/fi...east-edmonton/

Interesting that the last article posted on the Facebook for this building was about the last condo fire.

https://www.facebook.com/theave.clareview

Wonder if they used any of the newer building materials that hold up against fire longer.

Default Re: Another Edmonton condo burns down

Originally posted by J-D

Wonder if they used any of the newer building materials that hold up against fire longer.
    You question assumes that the "newer" materials are better than what was used before.

It would be better to compare the characteristics of specific materials, or even a price/performance comparison, than to assume newer is better.
    Last edited by Robin Goodfellow; 05-23-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Clearly there were no sprinklers on the balconies if the fire spread so easily on the outside. One article I read said this type of fire and the construction type of the building is a major concern when it comes to fires spreading.

Not sure what that type of fire means or why the construction methods helped spread the fire.... Construction methods should have slowed things not made things worst.

Default Re: Re: Another Edmonton condo burns down

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

You question assumes that the "newer" materials are better than what was used before.

It would be better to compare the characteristics of specific materials, or even a price/performance comparison, than to assume newer is better.
    That's fair - concrete is still king. There are just some pretty cool fire resistant products that have seen some more common usage lately.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Re: Re: Re: Another Edmonton condo burns down

Originally posted by J-D

That's fair - concrete is still king. There are just some pretty cool fire resistant products that have seen some more common usage lately.

My condo is across the street from this one. Was freaking when I heard about it on the radio but luckily mine is concrete building. Balcony is concrete as well.

All because of a cigarette butt. Jeeze....that is tragic
    Last edited by dj_rice; 05-23-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by gwill
    Clearly there were no sprinklers on the balconies if the fire spread so easily on the outside. One article I read said this type of fire and the construction type of the building is a major concern when it comes to fires spreading.
    In other news, water in a sprinkler pipe freezes when the temperature is below 0 degrees.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

In other news, water in a sprinkler pipe freezes when the temperature is below 0 degrees.
    In other other news: antifreeze to fill outdoor fire suppression systems is actually a thing.

Seriously though, I've never seen an apt with a fire suppression system on the balconies.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Calgary condo fire this morning.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2017428/fi...ment-building/

Wonder if it's a total write off, looks almost as bad as the Edmonton one. Pretty brutal, it was hit by the floods 2 yrs ago too.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Some members of 780tuners had rental properties in the Edmonton condo.

Sucks balls Big thing to remember is to be properly insured!

I don't think it really matters though, modern day house or condo will go up in flames. Its too bad concrete is so expensive, all of our foam block houses have been amazing. Would love to test the flammability of the foam block itself with some concrete in it...

I'll be nice since you clearly don't know.... all new condos have a sprinkler on the balcony. Older condos are under old building codes where this wasn't a requirement hence the ability for the fire to spread more.

Developers use a dry gas system for sprinklers on balconies. This is where no water is stored near the outside of the building. When a fire happens the sprinkler bursts, releases the gas and the water comes shooting out. This prevents any burst pipes.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Originally posted by rage2
    Calgary condo fire this morning.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2017428/fi...ment-building/

Wonder if it's a total write off, looks almost as bad as the Edmonton one. Pretty brutal, it was hit by the floods 2 yrs ago too.
    I couldn't get out of the alley that my condo parkade exits onto this morning because of the fire.

My boss said it was the worst excuse ever haha.

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

I couldn't get out of the alley that my condo parkade exits onto this morning because of the fire.

My boss said it was the worst excuse ever haha.
    Could've used the front door and cycled to work - I hear there's some new cycle routes in the beltline.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Anyone know if home and condo insurance is more expensive if you are a smoker?

I think it should be. Way too many careless smokers out there.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

On a semi related note......ever see a fully pressurized sprinkler system entirely exit out of one broken pipe? haha

It makes quite the mess!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked