Quantcast
Sonos and other Wifi Streaming Devices - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonos and other Wifi Streaming Devices

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Sonos and other Wifi Streaming Devices

So now you can buy 2x Sonos Play 1 for $380. I am pretty interested as I had never really looked into sonos before. The multi-room audio looks neat and I could use the 2 plays in my room for stereo sound. I am guessing other people have some sonos at home. How is the sound quality, does this work well over wifi without dropouts? I had been looking at getting a new bose BT speaker, but wifi would be way handier.

I also see the LG speakers with google cast are starting to come out which is kind of the same idea I think? Sony and denon will also have speakers with cast. I am guessing the Sonos would provide better sound than the LG for sure.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Killaramos had a review of them here http://forums.beyond.ca/st/390301/wh...o-my-solution/

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The Sonos interface is fantastic and dead simple. I kind of think of it as Apple as it's expensive but it just works.

Sound quality is great, it definitely won't be limiting you. Unless you're referring to the Sonos speakers/sound bar, which I have no experience with.
    Last edited by msommers; 05-25-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    is broken

I have always been a skeptic but Dad just picked one up. For dead simple audio it wins hands down. No more plugging in aux cables or messing with servers.

The Quality is good and the interface is amazing.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

I've got two play 1 on the main floor. Awesome interface, works with google play music and sound is great.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I love my Sonos System, i use it all the time and so does the wife. If you want great quality, dead simple installation and operation, Sonos is a fantastic option.

To start with the system performs perfectly for the network performance. I personally have mine ethernet wired to my router though my iMac is wireless and works as my source for the time being and it has not cut out once. Sonos has the option to form its own dedicated wireless network automatically which is a nice option for not using your wifi bandwidth up streaming music and supposedly works extremely well.

Bluetooth or phone streaming options are just not as refined as the Sonos system. Bluetooth streaming in my experience cuts out ALL the time on systems i have used in the past and the range is never what you want it to be. What that means if you want to listen to music with the Bose BT system, you are going to end up leaving your phone somewhere near the system and not with you burning through its battery life like its nouns business. That to me makes it inconvenient and is a major downside

Sonos has its own dedicated connection to streaming services like songza, sirius internet, deezer, internet radio ( all the major Calgarian stations stream on the system with tuneIn) etc. The great thing about that is it doesn't even use your phone at all! Your phone is just the controller! That means no battery drainage, extra wireless bandwidth usage, and if your phone dies the system doesn't stop working. The sonos components do all the heavy lifting themselves.

You absolutely have the option to stream right from your phone to the Sonos system, but that is less than ideal imo. Much better to stream it right from your desktop sitting somewhere in your office which has much better processing, uptime etc.

Another nice feature is if you have friends over they can download the free app, connect to your system and add their own songs as a play next etc. All with maybe 5 seconds of setup ( connect to new songs system> Play , thats it).

Personally as was mentioned i use the sonos connect:amp to run my own speakers built into my ceilings which sounds great as long as you have the polarity done correctly ( whoops lol ). So i won't comment on the Play:1 :3 :5 etc. But the good news is you can go to best buy and there is a sonos section setup for demo. Every best buy in the city has a demo station with all 3 play systems to the best of my knowledge. You can decide for your self if the quality is up to snuff. I personally didn't find anything wrong with them.

Now as i and others mentioned in my review the stuff isn't cheap. Its up to you if the functionality justifies the price. let me know if you have more questions i would be glad to help.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2013 GTR BE, 2010 Jeep SRT8

I have a Sonos Connect connected to a RussSound controller that feeds 4 sets of speakers throughout my house.

Its so simple to use and the interface is easy to use as well, It will allow you to play any songs that are on devices that are connected to your WiFi, so as long as you are in range of your WiFi signal it will work rather seamlessly, I would reccomend the Connect for sure, but its more of a media hub than an amp.

I believe there is a Sonos Copnnect Amp as well that will power speakers if you do not have prewired speakers.

Sound quality is above average, depends on the source going in but it only has RCA out so you are limited by that. I cant really tell the difference even at loud volumes, sounds amazing in my opinion.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Sonos Connect should have an optical output so you aren't limited to RCA if you have an amp that can use it.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

I bought the starter pack (2x Play:1). These are pretty awesome. App works really good and sound is great, especially when I pair the two speakers. Very impressed. Listened to the different speakers in the store also, Play:5 was great with all that bass, would be good for the family room I think. Will test these out for a while though first.

My Ride
    Big Blue

Sonos Connect Amp with Focal Bookshelves is what anyone should do to start their foray into sound with streaming and digital formats.

Personally I use the Cambridge audio stream magic 6V2 for my USB and streaming needs. Love it. Much bigger component but looks nice

They just out a new one with a full color screen. It's sexy.
    Your #1 hater

My Ride
    Grimace

Doesn't seem like that amp has much power though, is two speakers about all it can drive?

I am loving my sonos so far, listening to music all the time now. BT is such garbage when you can have just your music quick and easy. Got the music off my NAS working too. Does anyone know if these ever go on sale, I am looking at maybe the Play:5 for my family room and playbar once I get a new tv.

Originally posted by schocker
    Doesn't seem like that amp has much power though, is two speakers about all it can drive?

I am loving my sonos so far, listening to music all the time now. BT is such garbage when you can have just your music quick and easy. Got the music off my NAS working too. Does anyone know if these ever go on sale, I am looking at maybe the Play:5 for my family room and playbar once I get a new tv.
    I have 1 connect amp running 4 in ceiling speakers and no complaints.

I've never seen the Sonos stuff on sale. It's worse then Apple products for sales.

My Ride
    Big Blue

Originally posted by roopi

I have 1 connect amp running 4 in ceiling speakers and no complaints.

I've never seen the Sonos stuff on sale. It's worse then Apple products for sales.

It is enough power if your speakers are at least 92DB sensitive, if they 89 or lower, they need a lot of power to sound decent.

If you like regular listening levels with a little jam here and there, perfect.
    The margin at full price is 30 points, so a discount on an item that needs no install with that little margin is tough for a shop big or small. Only hope for the shop is you buy a lot of their items or they sell you speakers or an amp for the connect.

Apple are just fucking Nazi's. Fuck them.
    Your #1 hater

My Ride
    Grimace

^^Thanks. I will probably stick with straight sonos for now as I have a smaller house with no room for bigger systems. When/if I do my basement then I would try out the amp or connect to the home theatre system. Just wanted to check before I look into buying those. I guess the deal on the 2x Play:1 for $380 was a great deal then

My Ride
    Big Blue

Originally posted by schocker
    ^^Thanks. I will probably stick with straight sonos for now as I have a smaller house with no room for bigger systems. When/if I do my basement then I would try out the amp or connect to the home theatre system. Just wanted to check before I look into buying those. I guess the deal on the 2x Play:1 for $380 was a great deal then

YUP!
    Visions should have the best deals on Sonos when and if they can as they sell the most in the city so they might get special buys to promote it. Just keep an eye out on their site, I do, every Thursday prices change for the week with a flyer drop prior to gain momentum. I'm sure they will have a halfway to boxing day this month
    or the cheesy DADS AND GRADS sale

Also remember if you bought it full price you got 60 days to see it go down. First 30 days the difference should be in store, 31 to 60 is a check from HO.
    They do stand by it and it should never affect salesman in case you get some gripe about it.
    Last edited by Dertz; 06-05-2015 at 01:20 PM.
    Your #1 hater

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sonos has their 2 room starter set on sale.

http://www.sonos.com/en-ca/multi-room-speaker-system

2 play 1's for $379. Can be used either as a stereo pair or for 2 rooms.

Makes a good starting point to a Sonos system or a good gift.

fact.

My Ride
    2002 e46

Originally posted by killramos
    Sonos has their 2 room starter set on sale.

http://www.sonos.com/en-ca/multi-room-speaker-system

2 play 1's for $379. Can be used either as a stereo pair or for 2 rooms.

Makes a good starting point to a Sonos system or a good gift.

Picked these up back in May when they went on sale. Would Highly recommend them. But make sure you get 2 of the Play 1's. If you aren't able to pair in stereo mode, its not worth it. If you only want to have one physical speaker instead of 2, then buck up for the Play 3

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea i think i am going to pick a set up for my mum for christmas. Last time she wanted to listen to music she turned her tv on to the stingray channel . Using the built in tv speakers to. Horrible.

fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^I have 4 and keep two on paired and it is still decent while not stereo.

Amazon has these too and I am guessing they will show up at bestbuy for those who want to pick them up. I am very happy with mine so far. Was hoping that they would've cleared the old Play 5 but they never did, just out of stocked it and now the new one is coming out right away but apparently it is amazing.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

i find the play5 hard to justify. Esp over the 3 which i picked one up for the wife for her craft room.

I REALLY want the sub for my main floor to pair with my in ceiling in the front and back rooms.. Don't need that kind of fidelity in my bedroom or bathroom. And the media room is run through my 5.1 system so no need there.

But 750 is a pretty asinine price, looks awesome though.

I am sure the play:1's will suit my mom just fine even if split up. Like i said, she was using her 19 inch samsung tv to listen to music lol.

fact.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast