Quantcast
Towing - How to set up your WD hitch and other WD and anti-sway discussions - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Towing - How to set up your WD hitch and other WD and anti-sway discussions

Quote Originally Posted by maxout View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I am pretty new to this towing thing. I picked up this used but new to the family pop up. Hooked it up a few days ago and everything seems to be okay. Just wanted to know how it looks by the picture on the way it sits.

Attachment 79506
    Just a few things, it looks like the caster on the front of the trailer is quite low, curbs may be an issue. Second, it does look like you are squatting a smidge in the back. As @ExtraSlow said, you want to weigh it. If the difference between the front axle and rear are pretty high when you are loaded up (ie kids, dog, ect) you will want to look at a WD hitch. Third, you should be ok in the brake department so i wouldn't sweat it if you DONT have them. But if you do, get a controller and use them. It will only help. Lastly, mind the tongue weight of the trailer and be sure you balance the gear inside of your trailer. You want to put as much weight in the front without exceeding the max tongue weight of the van. This will likely cause you to need a WD hitch as well.

My Ride
    car

Haven't been on any trips yet. Have a site booked at Elkwood for the Long weekend so pretty excited. It will be nice to be off the ground.

It does have brakes and I just had the wiring and Prodigy2 installed over the weekend. Will need to learn how to set that up also in one of the parking lots. I only took it around the block so there is not much push when trying to stop.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

LOL, they just reiterated what I told you over text. Look into a WD hitch as once you have the family and gear in the van, it's gonna squat that back end. But as Spike98 said, that jack caster is gonna be busted off pretty soon sitting that low, and they are pretty useless unless you are camping on concrete or pavement, I would just remove it all together.

Take it for a pull around on Stony Trail, and see how it handles, and make any necessary adjustments. On the way out to K country, stop at the self scales at that petro can on highway 1 and highway 22, and check and log each of your axle weights.

And if you are not sure about it, or are not comfortable, let me know, and I can pull your trailer out there and bring it home for you with my truck.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Caution, he will also bang your wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Caution, he will also bang your wife.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    LOL, they just reiterated what I told you over text. Look into a WD hitch as once you have the family and gear in the van, it's gonna squat that back end. But as Spike98 said, that jack caster is gonna be busted off pretty soon sitting that low, and they are pretty useless unless you are camping on concrete or pavement, I would just remove it all together.
    What do mean by remove it? The castor mounting on many I've seen isn't removeable, its welded to the lower jack tube. If you mean remove the whole unit isn't that going to make unhitching and hitching an utter pain in the ass?
    Last edited by J-hop; 08-01-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    What do mean by remove it? The castor mounting on many I've seen isn't removeable, its welded to the lower jack tube. If you mean remove the whole unit isn't that going to make unhitching and hitching an utter pain in the ass?
    You can either replace it with a whole assembly sans wheel. Or cut it off with a zip disk and angle grinder.
    Last edited by spike98; 08-01-2017 at 07:42 AM.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

If you're going to go through the trouble of cutting the wheel off that jack, why not just replace it with a nice little power jack.
    Last edited by codetrap; 08-01-2017 at 07:51 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    You can either replace it with a whole assembly sans wheel. Or cut it off with a zip disk and angle grinder.
    Yea those are definitely options. Just clarifying your remove it altogether comment. Looks like he might have a bit of room to move the castor up a bit more. Never seen an issue with castors being too low to be honest

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@nzwasp , the first page of this thread has the method for using a CAT scale. You should take all these weights with the truck and trailer loaded down with beer/gear/firewood/wives/girlfriends etc as you normally are when going camping. Sometimes it's hard to convince your wealthy wife to hang around a truck stop, so you have to do your best and estimate her weight later.

You were talking about "figuring out" your payload. The way you do that is using scale tickets also.

In my examples above, you take the GVR of the truck (From the sticker in the drivers door), and minus off the weight of the truck (from the scale ticket) and that's how much payload you have left to use with gear or tongue weight.
    For the trailer payload, you do the same thing, you take the trailer GVR (as shown on the little sticker) and minus out the total trailer weight to figure out how much payload you have left.

if you are trying to do a quick and dirty campground estimate for your payload, and you aren't willing to go to a cat scale right this very instant on a long weekend, do this: You take the payload on your truck's door sticker, minus off the weight of your family, minus off an estimated weight of gear/cargo from the truck bed (or suv trunk, or boot or whatever you call it), and then also minus off the tongue weight of your trailer (that you may know from a trailer weight scale, or you may be estimating). If you come up with a negative number, congratulations, you are over your rating.

Super easy to go over payload capacity.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 08-01-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    @nzwasp , the first page of this thread has the method for using a CAT scale. You should take all these weights with the truck and trailer loaded down with beer/gear/firewood/wives/girlfriends etc as you normally are when going camping. Sometimes it's hard to convince your wealthy wife to hang around a truck stop, so you have to do your best and estimate her weight later.

You were talking about "figuring out" your payload. The way you do that is using scale tickets also.

In my examples above, you take the GVR of the truck (From the sticker in the drivers door), and minus off the weight of the truck (from the scale ticket) and that's how much payload you have left to use with gear or tongue weight.
    For the trailer payload, you do the same thing, you take the trailer GVR (as shown on the little sticker) and minus out the total trailer weight to figure out how much payload you have left.
    Bags of sand work just as well as wealthy wife’s and are less mouthy as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Bags of sand work just as well as wealthy wife’s and are less mouthy as well.
    Name:  tenor (2).gif
Views: 271
Size:  2.33 MB

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

5 years later, different truck and trailer. still have it installed on my trailer but never use it
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Does a WD Hitch do anything at all for sway? I talked to @Tik-Tok during camping and the only sway i am experiencing is when a huge truck or a big wind gust blows the trailer and he told me that happens to everyone. Also this car weighs 5900lbs and the trailer maxes out at 3500 lbs.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Does a WD Hitch do anything at all for sway? I talked to @Tik-Tok during camping and the only sway i am experiencing is when a huge truck or a big wind gust blows the trailer and he told me that happens to everyone. Also this car weighs 5900lbs and the trailer maxes out at 3500 lbs.
    Some do like Andersen, Equalizer and similar hard setups. Simple chain weights normally need additional sway control added as they are not friction based.

But yes getting some wind shear from a large truck is normal
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Some away is definitely normal on a windy day, or when passing/being passed. Also on shitty uneven pavement like between Calgary and Airdrie.

Normal weight distribution helps a little, then there's that BlueOx type that really helps. I forgot to mention that I have this kind of friction sway control bar, that I put on when it gets scary windy.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...it/A-p8007029e

It works decent enough. Though any hard turns into a parking lot makes the entire trailer frame creak like it's falling apart, lol. I get a lot of stares when I pull into a gas station and it's creaking away.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

When I put my WD hitch on my highlander and tightened the chains the trailer and car were level and the trailer came up to level. When I put it on the Infiniti there’s literally no difference.

I reviewed my cars manual and it advises to use a WD Hitch when the trailer weighs more than 5000lbs
    Last edited by nzwasp; 08-04-2020 at 10:30 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Some away is definitely normal on a windy day, or when passing/being passed. Also on shitty uneven pavement like between Calgary and Airdrie.

Normal weight distribution helps a little, then there's that BlueOx type that really helps. I forgot to mention that I have this kind of friction sway control bar, that I put on when it gets scary windy.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...it/A-p8007029e

It works decent enough. Though any hard turns into a parking lot makes the entire trailer frame creak like it's falling apart, lol. I get a lot of stares when I pull into a gas station and it's creaking away.
    I run one of these at all times on my trailer (much larger than most travel trailers) and it definitely helps. I also get insane bind and noise in tight turns from that and the WD hitch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3