Quantcast
What does your tow rig get for gas mileage? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What does your tow rig get for gas mileage?

Originally posted by TurboMedic
    Truck: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    Engine: 3.0 Ecodiesel
    Transmission: 8spd ZF auto
    Rear axle ratio: 3.45
    Tire size: 265/50/20
    weight of truck (including people and stuff in the bed): 5400 lbs
    total weight of trailer: 5800 lbs
    towing speed: 110-115
    Mileage: 16 L/100km (~17.6MPG)
    FYP

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by spike98
    Truck: 2015 Ram Sport
    Engine: 5.7L V8
    Transmission: 8 speed auto
    Rear Axle ratio: 3.92
    Tire Size: Factory 20's
    Weight of truck: 6500lbs ish loaded for camping w/kids quad and extra water (Curb is 5508lbs)
    Total Weight of Trailer: Full Camp Load about 6700lbs (Dry is 5306lbs)
    Towing speed: 100km/hr-110km/hr
    Modifications: Stock
    Mileage: 15L/100km-19L/100km depending on speed and grade

I drove from Medicine Hat to Ione,Wa through the kootney pass and averaged 17L/100km for the trip. I was blown away on how the Ram handled the big hill.
    This is slightly more fuel used than my 2014 model of the same truck uses pulling 2500 lbs of ATV trailer with 3 people and a loaded box. I don't think this mileage is impossible with the weather on your side.

Empty, my truck is cheaper to operate than my wife's '08 WRX. The ZF 8-speed is phenomenal.

My Ride
    something green

My work truck, an 06 cummins dually, looks like a prius compared to some of the towing mileages in this thread from the gas trucks...I haven't tried towing with the SRT10 yet.
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by Darell_n

The ZF 8-speed is phenomenal.
    I think this is the key here. All of the great numbers seem to have the ZF in common. The extra gears while under load allow you to keep the RPM lower.

My Ride
    Trucks

I think this is the key here. All of the great numbers seem to have the ZF in common. The extra gears while under load allow you to keep the RPM lower.
    The guys I know that have dyno tested their trucks show significantly better dyno results and track times on the 8-speeds vs '13s and older. The efficiency across the board is much improved and they seem to be holding up to 500-550whp so far.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by Darell_n

The guys I know that have dyno tested their trucks show significantly better dyno results and track times on the 8-speeds vs '13s and older. The efficiency across the board is much improved and they seem to be holding up to 500-550whp so far.
    My 13 has the 8 speed, I think the 12's didn't have it.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Originally posted by Kavy

My 13 has the 8 speed, I think the 12's didn't have it.
    Yup, 2013 MY+ for the Ram's, 2014 MY+ for Jeeps.

The first use of the ZF8HP in Chrysler's was the '12 charger.

My Ride
    Trucks

That's right. I remember them being in very limited quantities at the end of the '13 production.

jelly

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    jelly
    Any Chev 6.0 is the worst gas guzzler I've ever owned or even heard about. My last work truck was around 24L/100km loaded, 21 empty coasting downhill with the wind behind me.

Just think of the fuel savings when its time for a newer vehicle. Can't get any worse.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by C_Dave45

See, I find this unbelievable. I've never heard of anyone getting 17 mpg's and more, towing with a gas powered truck. I mean ANYONE..
    I completely agree, his numbers are off, especially with a hemi, probably the least fuel efficient of the big 3's v8's Doesn't matter what amount of gears the truck has, if its towing at a constant speed, the only time it shifts down is for hills, and if you are pulling a hill, the amount of fuel/energy required for the additional load is the amount of fuel/energy required for the additional load, having more gears doesn't change that.

His numbers dont seem out of wack IMO
    Mileage: 19.4L/100km over a total of 4650km's *calculated with fuely and not by my trucks computer.

When not going through the hills (like heading to Mclean and Rattlesnake) I saw 18.1L/100km on the 3 trips I made to those campgrounds this year.
    Maybe I am misinterpreting, but how do his MPG numbers not seem out of whack when you are getting even worse L/100km figures? There just is simply no way you are getting 17usmpg towing with a gas jobber unless you are cruising at 90km/h on flat ground towing 5klbs or less car trailer

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Truck: 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 crewcab 6.5' box
    Engine: 6.6L dmax
    Transmission: Allison 5 speed auto
    Rear axle ratio: 3.73
    Tire size: 245/75R16
    weight of truck (including people and stuff in the bed): 6900lbs just truck, 300lbs of human and tools
    total weight of trailer: 3500lb trailer, 3500lbs of fuel, 7klbs
    towing speed: 105km/h
    modifications: stock
    Mileage: Going from Edmonton to Wisconsin and back, I was able to average 15L/100km's or 15.7usmpg

Unloaded all highway at 105-108km/h, I can knock down 12L/100km's or 20usmpg. All bone stock, cruise control on, 420k kms.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I completely agree, his numbers are off, especially with a hemi, probably the least fuel efficient of the big 3's v8's Doesn't matter what amount of gears the truck has, if its towing at a constant speed, the only time it shifts down is for hills, and if you are pulling a hill, the amount of fuel/energy required for the additional load is the amount of fuel/energy required for the additional load, having more gears doesn't change that.
    Gears do matter. When i am towing at XX speed, different gear sets will provide different RPM. Different RPM = Different fuel efficiency

Agreeing/disagreeing with my numbers wont change that.

Now for my numbers, I posted my findings based on the raw numbers (fuel out and km driven). If you believe the numbers or not its ok with me. I don't need validation or to boost my online ego with how my fuel economy is.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:19 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Maybe I am misinterpreting, but how do his MPG numbers not seem out of whack when you are getting even worse L/100km figures? There just is simply no way you are getting 17usmpg towing with a gas jobber unless you are cruising at 90km/h on flat ground towing 5klbs or less car trailer
    First and foremost the Hemi is the most fuel efficient V8 on the market so your first comment is incorrect. I am not going to bother posting the hundreds of links and independent tests you will find that will back this up.

They do not seem out of wack because I'm running larger tires with a more aggressive pattern and I'm travelling at a higher rate of speed so both of those could equate to worse gas mileage on my end. The gears most definitely change the gas mileage of a vehicle that is not even debatable.
    Since its apparent the hate is more about the make of the truck and not the mileage take this years GM offering of the 8 speed versus the same model year 6 Speed.

4WD 2014 6.2 V8 (6-Speed) --- 2015 6.2 V8 (8-Speed)
    Highway 18 -------------------- 21
    City 14 -------------------- 15
    Combined 16 -------------------- 17

One seems to be a bit better there to me, those are GM's official numbers by the way.

The issue here isn't whether this is possible because trust me it is, the issue is the brand of the trucks getting this mileage.
    Last edited by Kavy; 09-07-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by Cos

Do you have a picture of your trailer or know what model it is? I am not going to argue the validity of your fuel economy but if you're getting that compared to my F150 Ecoboost the amount I would lose trading it in would be covered in the 3500km worth of extra fuel I would use each year. Hell if I got 20L/100km that would save me $125 in gas one trip to the Lake and Sask and back each year.
    I have driven both over 20,000km and Its only worth it if you do a lot of towing as the Eco will beat the Ram in everyday driving.

Cos I know the picture request wasn't directed to me but this is a picture of what I tow.

This was a picture of the first time I towed it with the Ram. The Ram was a few weeks old so did not have the rims, tires and air bags yet.
    Last edited by Kavy; 09-07-2015 at 05:48 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Gears do matter. When i am towing at XX speed, different gear sets will provide different RPM. Different RPM = Different fuel efficiency
    At the end of the day, best mileage is typically in the lowest gear, so unless the truck is needlessly revving too high (with the 6 speed there were more than enough gears) it doesn't matter. There is nothing magical about the 8 speed. It is not helping your truck defy physics and tow 2usmpg better than a gas truck can

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....35818&id=34501

The gmc sierra saw a 1mpg increase both in city and highway, which I agree with as the extra gears are more efficient in the city keeping it in its optimal efficiency range for ACCELERATION. while on the highway the overall final drive is lower (the 8 speed has a lower 8th than the final 6th gear in the 6 speed) which lowers the rpm which burns less fuel.

First and foremost the Hemi is the most fuel efficient V8 on the market so your first comment is incorrect. I am not going to bother posting the hundreds of links and independent tests you will find that will back this up.
    Oh gawd, we got ourselves a fanboi whose cornflakes dun be pissed in.

The EPA even says that the 5.7L hemi 8 speed combo gets the same mpg as the 6.2L gm 8 speed combo... and the 6.2L has more power and only requires regular, while the 5.7L specifically calls for midgrade. So now, the Hemi does NOT get better mpg, thats not me being a fanboi, those are just the facts. I'm most certainly manufacturer agnostic, my next truck will probably be an ecodiesel

Anywho, my work here is done, calling bullshit on people, butts have been hurt

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Oh gawd, we got ourselves a fanboi whose cornflakes dun be pissed in.

The EPA even says that the 5.7L hemi 8 speed combo gets the same mpg as the 6.2L gm 8 speed combo... and the 6.2L has more power and only requires regular, while the 5.7L specifically calls for midgrade. So now, the Hemi does NOT get better mpg, thats not me being a fanboi, those are just the facts. I'm most certainly manufacturer agnostic, my next truck will probably be an ecodiesel

Anywho, my work here is done, calling bullshit on people, butts have been hurt
    I own both a 2013 Ram and a 2014 Ford so what fanboy am I? When I say the Ram gets better Mileage towing and the Ford gets better in town I'm not being a fanboy I'm basing my information on personal experience as well as the information available to me by other users and independent reports. I think the major 3 all have great offerings so I don't feel the need to push Ford or Ram on anyone because bottom line I could give a shit what other people drive.

I am glad you filled me in on the GMC engine getting better gas mileage, I was unaware of the changes and I appreciate the information. I am glad I learned something new as opposed to when you got corrected on the "gears don't change mileage" comment you got defensive and you decided to bring out the famous "ignorant" line and call me a fanboi.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast