Quantcast
Manywounds Tribal Medical First Response - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Manywounds Tribal Medical First Response

Default Manywounds Tribal Medical First Response

I found this kind of interesting. Apparently this guy has set up his own, one man EMS service. He monitors EMS dispatch calls and shows up on scene to provide assistance to non serious, non life threatening calls until EMS arrive on scene. Its unclear if he has any formal training in this area. It also is unclear if he has any affiliation or support from the City or EMS. It seems like his intentions are good. However I am curious about the legalities and way he is going about this. I am not sure I would want this guy showing up if I had called an ambulance for help.

http://accidentemergency.weebly.com/

My name is Taylor Richard Houben. For the past several years of my life I have dedicated my life towards Emergency Medical Services (EMS) & the skilled indepth passion & knowledge of Ambulances. My passion began when I was 13 years old when my biological mother & biological brother suddenly passed away to Alcoholic additions and Alcohol overdose. Before I lost two very important family to me I was like your everyday normal young kid loving your normal sports and everyday normal young kid things, That changed forever in me from that day forward. I am your regular everyday normal person, I eat I sleep I breath just like you do. I talk, I walk I think just like you do. The only difference is I am a 20 year old gay (LGBT) male that has the heart and strong passion for Emergency Medial Services & Ambulances but most of all whanting to help others. More so than not sometimes it can be hard to come to terms or fully understand the dynamics & reasoning surrounding my passion and interest that has been my life for now several years. The past 6 months I have had the determination & dedication to start my own Medical First Response organization in the City of Calgary. In saying so starting this May 2015 I will officially be starting to provide medical assistance to Emergency Services to non life threatening patients in more specific detail, this is when a ambulance is dispatched but is not instructed to respond urgently with lights and sirens. Serious or life threatening calls I allow EMS & Fire to respond to urgently and DO NOT attend these calls if not in the immediate area to be able to lend medical assistance before Emergency Services arrive. I am not set to any specific area or community I do what is commonly known as Roaming or being a "Rover" this means I can be in any part of the city at any given time and monitor EMS Dispatch radio channels and if a call comes in that is close by or near my present location I will proceed to respond to that cold call location to lend assistance to the patient until EMS arrives. My goal in all of this is to be able to help wherever possible even if its in a small amount or way. Its the passion in my heart and determination to want to be able to help others is the ultimate reason for starting this project. I have purchased my own vehicle that will be marked to be able to accurately identify myself as a medical assistance resource. In addition I have purchased all new equipment needed to do operate this independent organization correctly.

I operate this organization independently and privately meaning its only myself out doing this for the current time being. Further and possible expansion will be explored at a later date. There is much more than explained above that it takes to do this type of project. so please do not assume all is explained in the above paragraphs as this is just the short summery of what the independent organization is about and its operations. If you have any concerns or questions please do not hesitate to contact myself to clarify or be provided more information about Manywounds Tribal Medical First Response (MTMFR).

Sincerely

Taylor Richard Houben

Founder/Director - Manywounds Tribal Medical First Response
    Last edited by Mixalot27; 06-01-2015 at 03:43 PM.

If your trained in first aid and can help someone then there's not much to worry about. I would assume he is and that he's not stepping out of the areas he can assist/help with. Super strange but not illegal by any means.

Now if he's playing surgeon and doesn't have first aid we'd be hearing about it on the news. Sounds like a lonely guy with too much time on his hands.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 08:57 PM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Judging by the mother and brother passing away due to alcoholism, it sounds like he is based out of a Reserve.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by gwill

Now if he's playing surgeon and doesn't have first aid we'd be hearing about it on the news. Sounds like a lonely guy with too much time on his hands.
    But somehow not enough time to hit the spell check button.

He seems like he's got nothing but good intentions, however it comes across to me as a bit misguided. I'm not sure I'd want this guy responding, unless I was positive that he did indeed have enough formal training to do more help than good.

Plus, the odds that he's closer to a given emergency than the closest actual EMS team are probably slim to none, so really

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

as for legalities:

In 2000 Alberta enacted the Emergency Medical Aid Act, which provides protection to those individuals providing voluntary assistance to those in need. When a person appears to be in need, you will not be held responsible for any act or omission while rendering medical services or first aid assistance. However, if it can be established that any injuries or ultimately death were caused by gross negligence your part, then you will be held responsible. Gross negligence can be defined as an unrestrained disregard of consequences; where if ordinary care is not taken in the circumstances, injury or grave damage is likely to occur. While that may seem confusing, be assured that the bar to meet the standard of gross negligence is quite high, if you are trying to help and are acting reasonably, you will not be held responsible for any injuries that may occur.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've always been taught in the various CPR training that we need to asked them first if we can help unless they're unconscious then consent is implied if you work within your qualifications.

Whatever the situation is, I don't like this one bit.
    Ultracrepidarian

My GF works in emergency, and said the hospitals do not like this guy. He used to have a van, but now somehow got a hold of an actual ambulance, which is not good. Very misleading to the patients as well. They are warning people not to get in his ambulance.

His intentions are good, but I think it does more harm than good at the end of the day.

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

http://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comm..._upgraded_his/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comm...e_service_too/

CPS ticketed him for the emergency lights on his van, and hes been tresspassed from all health and fire/ambulance halls, not much else can be done until he does sometging criminal
    And from almost a year ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comm...rst_responder/
    Last edited by 120Comm; 06-01-2015 at 05:22 PM.

---

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

Originally posted by kenny

That's actually not him. The person in the reddit post was mistaken.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

I have never had a doctor, or lawyer, or emt tell me their sexual orientation unless they are looking to fuck. What a weirdo that he lists it as if it's a qualification. Reading that first post, you can tell there is clearly some mental illness going on.

Hasn't everyone heard? According to the pussified PC crowd anyone can be "anything they want to be" so I see no problem with this.

He sounds rather intense.