Quantcast
Eastern Canada Trip - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Canada Trip

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Eastern Canada Trip

After the Montreal Grand Prix I'm thinking about traveling a bit of Eastern Canada.

Current though is to take the train with stops in Montreal > Quebec City > Moncton > Halifax and then fly to St. John's.

I don't know much about the Maritimes - are there other cities I should visit? Recommendations for things to see or do in any of the places I listed?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Get out and meet people everywhere you go. The people are the real attraction out there. Loved Halifax the one time I was there. Looking to get back when I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cabot trail in Cape Breton is pretty cool.

I wouldn't dedicate to much time to Halifax itself personally, I lived there for 2 years, unless you want to sit in a bar all day all night imo it doesn't have TOO much to offer. The alezander Keith's brewery tour is cool and a walk on the boardwalks. But that's like 2-3 hours tops.

The bay of fundy and the Annapolis valley has more to see and do (1 hour away) I lived there for a couple years as well.

Maybe people will disagree with me about Halifax but imo do your research on things you actually want to do and see before you lock in to much time there.

Mahone bay and Peggy's cove are not far from Halifax. Imo I would do all 3 in a day and stay wherever is cheapest or most convenient. Find a roadside lobster place for lunch and you are set.

My maritime knowledge doesn't extend to far outside of Nova Scotia unfortunately.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Chiming in to say I loved St John's. As I was there for work I didn't get that much time for sightseeing, but what I did see was neat. You can also take a ferry to St. Pierre et Miquelon (French self-governed territory) which is 25km off the cost of Newfoundland.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
    Chiming in to say I loved St John's. As I was there for work I didn't get that much time for sightseeing, but what I did see was neat. You can also take a ferry to St. Pierre et Miquelon (French self-governed territory) which is 25km off the cost of Newfoundland.
    I'm planning to fly there from St. John's I think. The ferry is quite expensive and the flights from St. John's don't seem too bad...I think they're around $300 return.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Originally posted by davidI

I'm planning to fly there from St. John's I think. The ferry is quite expensive and the flights from St. John's don't seem too bad...I think they're around $300 return.
    The advantage to taking the ferry is having to drive from St. John's to Fortune. Even I have to admit Newfoundland is beautiful, and the roads can be fun to drive on(lots of twists and turns). Just watch out for moose and potholes.
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Hopewell rocks, go kayaking there.
    Drive the Cabot trail and stop at the little businesses.
    If you like scallops go to digby I think in August?
    Halifax and Moncton were my favorite cities probably.

Don't go to saint john (NB) haha.

Other then that you can't go wrong with the east coast.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Has wheels

How much time do you plan on spending out there David?

Cabot Trail would be a must see, along with the Bay of Fundy(NS or NB side). Cape Breton as a whole is nice. Same with Newfoundland, can't go wrong driving around sight seeing.

I have to agree with Extraslow, the people are great.

I'm from Cape Breton myself, so I may be a little biased.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

PEI ftw

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I grew up in the maritimes and currently in Saint John until the end of the summer, feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

Gros Morne National Park is quite nice. I did a few hikes, some ocean kayaking, whale and puffin watching. Get screeched in, eat cod tongues, and have turkey dinner with "dressing" in St. John's.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by bruceod
    How much time do you plan on spending out there David?

Cabot Trail would be a must see, along with the Bay of Fundy(NS or NB side). Cape Breton as a whole is nice. Same with Newfoundland, can't go wrong driving around sight seeing.

I have to agree with Extraslow, the people are great.

I'm from Cape Breton myself, so I may be a little biased.
    Ingonisher here! Haha

Originally posted by phreezee
    Gros Morne National Park is quite nice. I did a few hikes, some ocean kayaking, whale and puffin watching. Get screeched in, eat cod tongues, and have turkey dinner with "dressing" in St. John's.
    Ches's Fish n Chips...with Dressing n Gravy...

Artery clogging heaven...
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

for the love of god go to cape breton

My Ride
    2005 Civic Si

my girl took me to the east coast last christmas to meet her folks. didn't really care for it....

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ One of the big things you need to get used to visiting there from living in Calgary.

Random people coming up to you on the street and having conversations about their and your personal lives. Or in any social interaction. Cashiers, baristas, bus drivers, taxis, etc.

Turns a lot of people off, particularly those who are less outgoing or more private in their lives
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    my girl took me to the east coast last christmas to meet her folks. didn't really care for it....
    Winter time isn't the best time to visit. Personally, I think that fall is. When everything is changing colors, that's my favorite anyway.

I was back east this past fall for the first time in many years, I was just amazed by the views.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I moved from Winnipeg to Saint John for the winter to avoid -50... Saint John had record snow falls. It was a disaster.

Yes, the maritimes are beautiful and yes, the people are salt of the earth, friendly people, but as some have mentioned, most maritimers have that small town mentality still and don't have filters when it comes to social practices. They will tell you anything about their lives and ask almost as much as they tell. Seriously, don't be surprised to know someone quite well after a brief conversation. It's strange.

The architecture here is pretty cool (SJ) because everything is so old. Even the 4 unit building I own is 150+ years old and protected by heritage laws, etc.

Spring to fall is the best time to visit. Summers are great here, when it's nice out, everyone takes advantage and get's out to do something, with alcohol in hand

I use this to describe the maritimes to people. You can go out to a pub by yourself and within 10 minutes, someone is buying you a drink and chatting you up. Within 20 minutes, if someone was to give you any trouble, they would have to deal with your new friends. Maritimers are fiercly loyal and just overall friendly people. It comes from the small town/simple roots. Both of my parents are from Newfoundland, if you know newfies, then you know what my childhood was like, a gong show of alcohol and seafood.
    Last edited by Jlude; 05-28-2015 at 08:14 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

The biggest adjustment I had when I was back there is that no one is ever in a rush. Including the people who are serving you. Oh, there's a line up of people waiting to pay for their groceries? Too bad, the cashier needs to talk to this particular customer about the kitchen fire that happened yesterday and killed someone's cat. Or god forbid the ambulance went up, they need to spend 20 minutes discussing who has been sick and guessing who was in it.
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast