Quantcast
New driving laws and changes laws coming into force in Onterrible - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New driving laws and changes laws coming into force in Onterrible

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default New driving laws and changes laws coming into force in Onterrible

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/beyond-d...road-1.2404999

By now, you’ve likely heard that Ontario plans to amends its distracted driving laws.
    Maximum penalties for distracted driving will be increased to a $1,000 fine and three demerit points, while the minimum fine will jump from $60 to $300.
    But that’s far from the only change to the rules of the road announced this week.

Here are some others:
    Drivers will be required to pull over for passing tow trucks with their amber lights activated, in addition to emergency vehicles

At pedestrian crossovers and school crossings, drivers must stop for the entire time a pedestrian is crossing

Drivers who don’t pay fines for speeding and other traffic tickets may not be able to renew their licence plates

Penalties for driving while impaired by drugs will mirror penalties for driving while impaired by alcohol

Drivers repeatedly caught driving impaired will be required to complete education, treatment and/or monitoring programs

Novice drivers convicted of distracted driving will be subject to driver’s license suspensions – or cancellation, should they be convicted a third time

All drivers are required to leave at least one metre when passing cyclists, if possible

Cyclists can legally use paved shoulders on unrestricted provincial highways

Fines for ‘dooring’ cyclists are now set between $300 and $1,000, rather than $60 and $500

The maximum fine for not using required lights and reflectors on bicycles is being raised from $20 to between $60 and $500

Cyclists can legally add flashing red lights to their bike

Drivers with medical suspensions can keep their driver’s licence card, for when they return to driving or to use as ID

Maximum length of B-train double-trailer trucks extended to 27.5 metres
    Nothing exceptional. In fact i was under the impression a few of those were already in effect in Alberta ( particularly renewing registration with outstanding fines)

Good on the distracted driving fine going up i think. At 60 dollar minimum some people are willing to risk it. They might reconsider when getting caught essentially means paying the equivalent of a new phone. Maybe the phones should just be confiscated now that I think about it...

Phone crushing for distracted driving law

When i recently had a medical suspension I got to keep my license ( 3 weeks post op). Is that the norm here?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

When I hear "dooring" a cyclist I imagine hitting a cyclist with my door as I drive by. Total worth doing for 60 bucks lol

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ i completely agree ha ha i actually laughed out loud at that one...

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
    When I hear "dooring" a cyclist I imagine hitting a cyclist with my door as I drive by. Total worth doing for 60 bucks lol
    Nice.

My Ride
    V8s

See, I thought it meant opening your door when you see a cyclist filtering up behind/beside you so they run right into it.

Either way, 100% worth it.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

The distracted driving thing is getting a bit out of hand. $1000? Come on, that's nuts.

Dooring the cyclist is pretty funny. Sure lots of us have thought about it but is it really happening somewhere? It wouldn't be much of a stretch for that to end up as a criminal charge like assault or something.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    The distracted driving thing is getting a bit out of hand. $1000? Come on, that's nuts.

Dooring the cyclist is pretty funny. Sure lots of us have thought about it but is it really happening somewhere? It wouldn't be much of a stretch for that to end up as a criminal charge like assault or something.
    I think the intention of the fine is more for parking who don't look when opening their doors street side and clothesline bikers. I think if you intentionally running down or knocking over a cyclist with your door you are looking at some much more hefty charges.

$1000 is the max fine, likely for repeat offenders or being being blatant idiots and causing problems ( collisions, lane drifting, going slow) while doing it. Honestly there isn't much excuse for get caught phone in hand using it while driving any more so i don't really care. People on their phones are among the worst dangers on the roads right now and previous fining hasn't done shit to curb it. If you really need to have a conversation while driving use one of the hundreds of handsfree call/text solutions out there. Most of which cost a hell of a lot less that 300-1000 dollars.

fact.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I agree, especially since I drove for 9 years legally using my phone while driving and never once had a accident.

My Ride
    Grimace

I agree, especially since I drove for 9 years legally using my phone while driving and never once had a accident.
    It is because we have to accommodate the stupid people now.

At pedestrian crossovers and school crossings, drivers must stop for the entire time a pedestrian is crossing
    That seems kind of weird, what about slow walkers. I like being able to continue once they are safely past my lane.

My Ride
    2005 F350

they had that stupid law about pedestrians crossing here for a little bit and it caused huge chaos downtown during rush hour. I'm pretty sure the repealed it shortly after because they realized that ITS FUCKING RETARDED.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

In Alberta, a motorist still has to remain stopped at any crosswalk until the pedestrian is fully across - the fine if you start to move is $575 and 4 demerits as well. Whether or not it applies in the case of a crosswalk on a divided roadway, difficult to say - I asked a CPS officer and he couldn't provide me with a clear answer and as such, I've choose to remain stopped for the few extra seconds it takes that pedestrian to get across the road safely. I would rather that $575 remain in my pocket. Some details here - downtown intersections and most signal controlled intersections (traffic lights) are most likely treated differently. Unmarked or marked crosswalks that are not at a signal controlled intersection are where the $575/4 demerit fine kicks in.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It would be impossible to make any turns downtown if it does apply to those intersections. Peds cross before the green, and keep crossing when it's red. You can barely get 1 car through by turning when your lane is cleared.

Can't wait to see the rants in Ontario.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Drivers repeatedly caught driving impaired will be required to complete education, treatment and/or monitoring programs
    $1000 for using a cellphone but only a program for drunk drivers
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

driving around toronto proper would be fucking impossible if you cant drive if some asshat is in the road... rule should be you stay stopped for anyone that started crossing before the hand started flashing, anyone who starts after is free game

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by speedog
    In Alberta, a motorist still has to remain stopped at any crosswalk until the pedestrian is fully across - the fine if you start to move is $575 and 4 demerits as well. Whether or not it applies in the case of a crosswalk on a divided roadway, difficult to say - I asked a CPS officer and he couldn't provide me with a clear answer and as such, I've choose to remain stopped for the few extra seconds it takes that pedestrian to get across the road safely. I would rather that $575 remain in my pocket. Some details here - downtown intersections and most signal controlled intersections (traffic lights) are most likely treated differently. Unmarked or marked crosswalks that are not at a signal controlled intersection are where the $575/4 demerit fine kicks in.
    My understanding is you cannot impede but it does not say anywhere that you have to wait until the complete the whole trip.
    yield the right of way to a pedestrian within a crosswalk – the fine is $575 plus four demerits;
    yield the right of way to a pedestrian who intends to cross at a crosswalk, marked or unmarked, if the pedestrian, before leaving the curb, signals an intention to cross by holding their arm straight out and pointing across the road in the direction they want to go – the fine is $115;
    Originally posted by rage2
    It would be impossible to make any turns downtown if it does apply to those intersections. Peds cross before the green, and keep crossing when it's red. You can barely get 1 car through by turning when your lane is cleared.

Yup with all the police downtown here if you had to wait, you would get tons of tickets and never be able to turn legally.
    Last edited by schocker; 06-04-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Originally posted by rage2

The $575/4 demerit fine in Calgary only applies to unmarked or marked crosswalks that are not at a signal controlled intersection - example would be a pedestrian trying to cross Centre Street North at 26th Avenue (unmarked) or 24th Avenue (marked) or 68th Avenue (marked, crosswalk lights and divided roadway). At all of these you would have to remain stopped as a motorist until a pedestrian is all the way across.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Originally posted by schocker
    My understanding is you cannot impede but it does not say anywhere that you have to wait until the complete the whole trip.
    The actual law that would apply in this case...

Yielding to pedestrians
    41(1) A person driving a vehicle shall yield the right of way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk.
    (2) Where a vehicle is stopped at a crosswalk to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, a person driving any other vehicle that is approaching the stopped vehicle from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.
    (3) At any place on a roadway other than at a crosswalk, a person driving a vehicle has the right of way over pedestrians unless otherwise directed by a peace officer or a traffic control device.
    (4) Nothing in subsection (3) relieves a person driving a vehicle from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of pedestrians.

I guess the kicker is if there's another vehicle stopped for that pedestrian, then you can't move either. Bullet 4 is also a great catch-all for law enforcement.

Never the less, a few extra seconds out of my life to not elicit the attention of any nearby police that keeps $575 in my pocket and 4 demerits off of my license is not a big deal. Waiting for that pedestrian to fully cross Centre Street - really, what's the big deal. You'll still be stuck in the Timmies line-up you're heading to anyways.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Yielding to pedestrians

41(1) A person driving a vehicle shall yield the right of way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk.

(2) Where a vehicle is stopped at a crosswalk to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, a person driving any other vehicle that is approaching the stopped vehicle from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.

(3) At any place on a roadway other than at a crosswalk, a person driving a vehicle has the right of way over pedestrians unless otherwise directed by a peace officer or a traffic control device.

(4) Nothing in subsection (3) relieves a person driving a vehicle from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of pedestrians.

Doesn't mention staying stopped for the full duration a pedestrian is in the crosswalk. It would also be ridiculous to assume that you can fail to yield right of way to someone moving away from you, hence why the people who go when the pedestrian is passed the center line don't get ticketed.

Section 2 requires the vehicle overtaking or passing to be in motion prior and must be approaching from the rear. So it doesn't apply to cars stopped going the other way.
    Last edited by FraserB; 06-04-2015 at 11:36 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast