Quantcast
Border Crossing w/ Food - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Border Crossing w/ Food

My Ride
    '12 Ram 1500

Default Border Crossing w/ Food

Apologies if this is a relatively basic question, though I've never actually crossed the border into the US via car.

I'll be doing a road trip later this year and crossing into the US. Because I'm a cheap SOB I was planning to take a cooler with some food for the trip, for personal use. Nothing crazy, but stuff like meat (chicken/beef), canned fish, oatmeal, rice, crackers, cheese etc...

I was reading through the US Border Services site and while it's good to know the regulations they list (restrictions on crossing from Canada seems to be relatively lenient) I was wondering if anyone had practical experience with this and could offer insight on how prickly they are about food items.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Normal amounts of food aren't an issue, but I hope you realize that virtually every kind of food is cheaper in the USofA than in Canada.
    Don't bring citrus fruit for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I had the US side go through my dozen apples of various types. Each one had to be identified and had to have a label (sticker) proving where the apple was from. If the food is dead, meaning cooked, processed, tinned, etc you are good. An example exception being dog food, as I lost a bag of that at the border. Anything raw like apples, uncooked meat, etc, there will be questions. Oranges they freak out about, CA and FL are worried about losing crops to iffy citrus.

I'd just stop at the USA side Whole Foods or the like and load up, cheaper and easier for everyone. Regular supermarkets are way cheaper in the USA than what you are trying to bring with you from Calgary.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 06-04-2015 at 09:02 AM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Don't forget to bring back cherry and/or vanilla coke.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

I will never forget the day i walked into a Fry's Supermarket to buy food and swung past the meat section to pick up some beef and chicken. Ground Beef was on special buy 1 get 2 Free ............ Chicken breasts buy 1 pack get 3 packs free ??????? When i went to pay i thought it was gonna be a mistake as in buy 2 get one and buy 3 get 1 free, nope it wasnt a typo. Felt like i robbed the place, not to mention they also had a 50 6" tortillas for 3 bucks.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Food is fine.

Raw fruit/vegetable is the no-no.

My Ride
    '12 Ram 1500

Appreciate all the replies!

Guess I'm showing how often I leave Canada with wanting to travel not-so-light food-wise. Sounds like it'll be worth revising my plans and swinging by a grocery store once we cross the border.

Ever see this place on a long weekend Friday Or Thursday night?

http://www.familyfoodsstores.com/steins_eureka.html

Its nuts hahaha. Everyone in a panic to get there food and booze for the weekend.

Great store though haha

I was traveling by air but I had an interesting experience going into the US, and I assume it would be the same for via car.

I filled out my declaration card with "No's" on everything. I didn't realize I was still carrying the apple my GF gave me just prior to going into customs until right before I was called to the counter. It was in a clear plastic bag, and in my hand. When I was called to the counter, I immediately declared my apple, handed it to the boarder guard, and explained to the boarder guard that I had it, why I had it, etc. She did not care, was super pissed, and lectured me for about 5 mins while she wrote an ENORMOUS note on my account. Then she took me into the back, told me fines start at $300 USD, etc. 20 min later, she let me go with a warning, I am assuming because I was extremely polite and apologetic the entire time (or maybe it's just a lot of paperwork haha).

My GF was at a different boarder guard in the identical situation with her apple. She told the guy, and he laughed that she would even bother declaring such a thing, and waved her on through after briefly checking to see if it had a sticker (totally pointless exercise because you could easily just put any sticker on any fruit/veggie).

So, I am probably on some sort of black list for US fruit smuggling now, but in my experience it's not worth it. It's extremely dependent on the individual you deal with. Lesson learned: The ONLY thing that matters is what you put on your declaration card. If you made a mistake, don't try to explain it, go get a new card. I'll probably get hassled every time I go to the US now.

My Ride
    W204

No shit.. Even with the weak Canadian dollar, just about ANY food item is cheaper down there. One of the biggest discrepancies I always see is Haagen Dazs - quintuple the selection and half the price!

And just to answer the food question, going in they are usually quite strict. With fruit, just cut it up and you're fine. Not cut up and it better have a USA sticker on it.

Other way around, Canada is way more lax and you can bring a ton of groceries back!

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inf.../1389648516990
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2005 F350

one thing is that raw meats must be in the original packaging. you cannot marinade your meat before-hand and bring it into the States.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Generally speaking, if it's for personal use you're good to go. Might want to bring any receipts with you just in case.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 03:19 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Always declare something even if your not really bringing anything back from shopping... When in the states keep all of your receipts and when you cross again you can provide them the receipts of everything you bought. They'll never search your car if you make their job easier.

My gf regularly goes on random road trips to no where. The one day she ended up driving to Montana for the day and when she crossed back 5-6 hours later the border guard gave her huge trouble for such a short trip. She cruised around and checked out some lakes, hit up a few towns, stopped at a place for lunch and that's it.... The guards didn't buy her story and ripped apart her car.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I was in Montana once for under an hour when picking something up from the border storage place. Border guys thought it was hilarious.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by flipstah
    Food is fine.

Raw fruit/vegetable is the no-no.
    This.

There are even border crossings between states...specifically California, where we were aked to declare fruits and vegatables as well.

Originally posted by bleu

This.

There are even border crossings between states...specifically California, where we were aked to declare fruits and vegatables as well.
    Yep. Cali to Oregon.

They did force me to eat my Cardston DQ burger at the border before entering Montana once... dicks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Weren't you planning on eating it eventually? Wasn't it getting cold by then?> That's 25 kms away . . .

So many questions . . .

My Ride
    Forester STI

This Canadian traveller entering the country with food..

I've been to the states many a time. Foods cheaper there, so is gas, and beer. Take the cooler, leave the food and buy down there.
    Sealed containers of food are fine, same as drink. Anything fresh (meat, eggs, fruit, etc) probably not.

Oh and get familiar with this: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...rpcrc-eng.html
    I know someone who didnt and tried bringing back a case of chewing tobacco and got to sit in a little cell for a while as his car was pulled apart...
    The Lazymans Signature (tm)