Quantcast
So why does one ride, a motorbike that is... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So why does one ride, a motorbike that is...

My Ride
    2005 F350

Riding a motorcycle was something I'd always wanted to do when I was younger so once I was able to afford one, I bought myself a 99 Katana 600. Took a riding course, got my license and started riding it everywhere. The feeling of being open to the world, the wind and air was exhilarating! I rode that bike for 2 years and traded up to a 2002 GSXR 750.

Yes, it is more dangerous than driving a car, but as I gained more experience, I was able to better predict what drivers were going to do, use better lane positioning to keep myself out of trouble, counter-steer out of trouble while on the front brake, etc. although wildlife always seemed to be out to get me. haha.

one of my fondest memories of riding was a nice Autumn day riding on highway 40. Temps were perfect, blue sky, leaves turning colour and falling off the trees. It was picture perfect. Like a commercial.

Riding the track at Race City and Stratotech up in Edmonton taught me that riding on the street was dangerous as fuck and it definitely toned down my speeds on the street.

eventually, my first child was born and I made the choice to get rid of it. not because of pressure from my wife but from not having the time to ride anymore. too many family commitments on weekends...

eventually, I will get another when my kids have grown and they don't want to hang out with dad anymore.

I also lost a friend to this sport a few years ago and he was also a member here. I know exactly how it feels to lose someone to motorcycles but I would still choose to swing my leg over a bike over never having experienced riding a bike.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Some friends tell me "they want to get a bike". With a lot of them I almost beg them not to. Since they don't know wtf their doing, and will likely be statistics themselves.
    Serious question, but what's your definition of "don't know wtf they're doing"?

I'm about to book the motorcycle training course since I want to try it out. I'm not 100% sold that riding is for me, but I'm not completely dismissing it either; that's one of the big reasons for me taking the course. I know if I get a bike, I'm definitely not one of those clowns that ride excessively over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and doing stupid showboat stunts that give most riders a bad name.

Not sure if Graham means the same but when i started riding i had buddies that i pretty much begged not to ride because they thought they were invincible. One guy wrote off 2 cars in 2 years doing stupid shit and i was so worried i actually talked to his parents about him not riding. He got one anyways and wrote it off the same year, luckily he walked away from it and hasnt been back since. You have to know to respect the bike or else you will end up a statistic and some people just dont have that mind set yet.

As others have said, for the guys that love this sport theres no other feeling like it. I get shit all the time from family and friends but theyre all non riders who have no idea what its like. Riding around in the city can be scary and does require you to be really careful but its still worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I know if I get a bike, I'm definitely not one of those clowns that ride excessively over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and doing stupid showboat stunts that give most riders a bad name.
    You know how i know you've never rode before

Every rider says that lol

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I have never ridden a street bike but I took a riding course last year to help me decide if it's the right decision for me. I had so much fun on the course, even maneuvering the bike in the parking lot. I decided to not get a bike based on the city I was living in (Houston) where some of the worst car drivers exist.

Last year I rode 1,800km through the Baja desert on a Honda 450F dirt bike. That trip gave me some confidence in my ability to road bike, minus the other drivers I'd have to watch for.

Now that I'm going back to Calgary, I plan to get a KTM Duke 390 or 690 for around downtown and driving to Shuswap every now and then. Although black clothes look badass, I plan to get the most bright ass protective gear possible to be seen. I'll take another bike course first.

As to the why ride a bike, from my snowmobiling and dirt bike experience, the freedom and rider involvement in the bike's movement are the reasons I want to get into it. The only think slowing me from moving ahead will be the love for my family and the risks involved from other drivers.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don't want to post it all not start a pissing context but here is a good list of bike vs car death statistics from a legit source.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/mo...ts/motorcycles

One of the most interesting sections I read is the deaths versus age. Riders 50+ were more likely than any other group. So much for kids being kids or experienc making things safer. .the other one is % of single vehicle accidents ( ie it wasn't someone else who ran you off the road)

Bikes are super dangerous. And the number of bike deaths per year is not a small number. You are 26 times more likely to die on a bike per mile ridden than a car. That doesn't take into account serious injuries.

Do it if you want but don't kid yourselves on the risks.

Wasn't even a year ago that I peeled my kid brother off the pavement of a parking lot that put him out of work for 2 months. That was just a slipped clutch.

Im not trying to convince anyone to or not to do it by at least have your facts straight.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

I've never been that.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bang Bus

I remember playing the game Hang-on for Sega back in the day and I was hooked on motorcycles since then. I bought my first bike in 1996, a 1988 Suzuki gsxr750 Slingshot which I miss dearly still. Bought many many sportbikes through out the years but now i ride a Harley. The passion for riding will never go away

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    [B]

Serious question, but what's your definition of "don't know wtf they're doing"?

I'm about to book the motorcycle training course since I want to try it out. I'm not 100% sold that riding is for me, but I'm not completely dismissing it either; that's one of the big reasons for me taking the course. I know if I get a bike, I'm definitely not one of those clowns that ride excessively over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and doing stupid showboat stuff
    First off, good on you for taking the course. They teach a lot of valuable skills that can really benefit most riders. If I was back in Calgary, I'd say to hop on my cruiser and take it for a rip. Otherwise I'd walk you through a good handful of safe riding tips.

One of the biggest that I've taught to both car drivers and motorcycle riders alike would be a principle called MELT. That stands for
    Minimal Eye Lead Time.
    So basically, always be focusing on what's happening st least 5 seconds down the road in front of you. 5 is the minimum really, more like 10-15 seconds. That way you can always plan well ahead to gradually brake if need be, move over if a lane is closed (etc etc). It's very surprising how few people do this. VERY few people do this. So you see a lot of panic stops and close encounters which can be disastrous for a new rider.
    Same with being in the proper lane position when going through intersections. (Be in the far right part so people trying to go left on a solid green can see you much more easily , as well as AL WAYS cover the brakes in the event you have to jam them on), also do the speed limit through intersections. It's hard for other drivers to properly time a turn when someone is going 30+ over the speed limit, potentially case in what happened here.

Also another huge mistake I see a lot of riders and people do is not check their mirrors nearly enough. I quickly scan mine every 5 seconds in the city to make sure I'm always fully aware of what's happening around me. That can really save you from a potential accident if some idiot is weaving in and out of traffic or speeding recklessly.

Another tip that I'd like to see a lot more of would believe it or not: be some track time. A lot of people have no idea just what their bikes are really capable of, and that fear along with inexperience can lead to a lot of panic situations that often lead to crashes. Doing multiple track days on my old Triumph sport bike, I was very familiar with where the limits of both the tires, brakes and handling of the bike were. Also once you learn that, accident avoidance and everything else comes a lot more naturally.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

Good for other riders?

Thanks for that detailed post Graham.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ sorry I'd go on and on, thats probably the best tips I can give right now, but lately all my posting has been done on my phone, so I can't really write out these long as posts as it takes me a good while.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

It's a feeling riding, nothing else. My bikes slow compared to my previous and I enjoy that way more.

Because zoom.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

I just saw this posted on Reddit, and made me think of this thread. Ride safe everyone.
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by baygirl
    [B]I just saw this posted on Reddit, and made me think of this thread. Ride safe everyone.
    vid gone
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Originally posted by blairtruck
    vid gone
    Driver with her learners was to far in the intersection when the light changed. Reversed from the middle of the intersection, changing from left lane to right. Hit the motorcycle, guy jumps off and lays the bike down, she runs right over the bike.
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I started riding motorbikes over here, because they were fast, fun, and somewhat liberating (R6). And then on one of my most recent trips to Switzerland, I spent the summer cruising around the Alps on a dual sport type bike (Transalp). Despite being a whole lot slower than my sport bike over here, the roads over there are just so much fun to drive on. That completely ruined my motivation to ride over here, so unless I move closer to a track, or to BC, I doubt I'll do much riding anymore.

Oh yea, and shitty drivers that honestly have no clue how to drive over here don't make it anymore fun.

My Ride
    Horse

Here is a gfycat mirror of the vid.

Link

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 02:24 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by theken
    It's a feeling riding, nothing else. My bikes slow compared to my previous and I enjoy that way more.

Agreed. I bought my 04 Monster 620 to boot around when the weather is nicer. I always get an itch to ride in the summer. Compared to my other bikes (R6,CBR600RR,GSXR600) this is by far the easiest and funnest bike to ride aside from my old SFV650 gladius which I miss very much.

Also will be my project for the next few years to come. Just say a silent prayer Everytime you get on the bike and be on your way. Ride safe, ride smart, have 10 eyes scanning everywhere and you'll be ok. It's usually the other drivers here in the city that you have to watch out for. That and some terribly bad roads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast