Quantcast
Eliminating the Blind Spot - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eliminating the Blind Spot

I don't like this method because if you're in traffic and your lane is stopped, the lane next to you is moving, you now can't see if a car is coming up in that lane. Not smart IMO.

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    I don't like this method because if you're in traffic and your lane is stopped, the lane next to you is moving, you now can't see if a car is coming up in that lane. Not smart IMO.
    Simply move your head to shift the view farther down the moving lane. Easy to do because you're not moving.

Originally posted by rage2
    I've been doing this method for decades. The only thing it sucks for is parking, where you actually want to see your own car when backing up into a stall.
    Same with parking, just move your head so you can see more behind.

Originally posted by Kg810
    You guys should check out Blind Spot Mirrors for your cars. I have them on my car and I highly recommend them.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    I have these on all my cars, left and right.

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

My Focus side mirrors have mini mirrors in the top corners that show the blind spot.

I never rely on that though, just nice to have that extra field of vision. I don't know how people will put their clothes on every day if they have rely on lane departure warning systems in new cars in the future. Shoulder check always saves my arse.

Another tip: don't buy a Chrysler. Worst blind spots in the business. I understand if its a Challenger or Viper, but when its every car in the line up its definitely sloppy design: 300, Charger, Avenger, 200, Dart, Durango, Journey look like they were designed first with no windows, then windows added as an after thought.

Safety is cool and all, but thick tree trunk bulging A pillars, B pillars, ... basically moving fortresses on wheels. Then they add panorama sunroofs that who knows what they compromise in terms of structural integrity, but just in case you need to look out for planes and birds and s***. Your roof shatters? Have fun paying the bill...no wonder glass insurance is really taking off in the auto insurance industry. An annual windshield and ROOF replacement.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

people don't set their rear views to see behind them? or mirrors to see beside them? how are people setting them? I thought this was a common knowledge thing, rear view for rear viewing, side views for side viewing.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by theken
    people don't set their rear views to see behind them? or mirrors to see beside them? how are people setting them? I thought this was a common knowledge thing, rear view for rear viewing, side views for side viewing.
    They are for selfie!

My Ride
    Hatred

Yeah I find it a little funny how many people said they don't like this method. I can't understand the reason to have three mirrors looking behind you. One rear view mirror and a mirror on each side of your vehicle to see to the sides makes a lot of sense. Almost like they were meant to do that or something...
    -U

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by relyt92
    I used to have the broadway mirror as well but it doesn't fit over the mirror in my current car due to it being a powered mirror with buttons.
    Mine are 30cm and are knocked everytime a passenger goes for the visor LOL.

been thinking about taking out the visors completely

Originally posted by Kg810
    You guys should check out Blind Spot Mirrors for your cars. I have them on my car and I highly recommend them.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    It's built in on the left side of new Honda's. And then the camera on the right: so useful and not distracting at all
    YTMND
    Last edited by jwslam; 06-10-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Originally posted by Unknown303

Yeah I find it a little funny how many people said they don't like this method. I can't understand the reason to have three mirrors looking behind you. One rear view mirror and a mirror on each side of your vehicle to see to the sides makes a lot of sense. Almost like they were meant to do that or something...
    Having overlap between the mirrors is very important IMO because it allows you better survey the most important areas with a quick glance between the various mirrors. This is especially important while reversing, which i have to do up a hill around a corner to get out of my garage.

I've tried the other method many, many times and find that for me, it's actually far unsafer as i don't have visual continuity between the mirrors, so it's hard to my brain to put things together when I make quick glances between the mirrors. When I change lanes, I shoulder check... one should be doing this anyhow, regardless of their mirror setup so for me I just don't see the advantage.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I prefer the "door handle" method. It's good for backing up. It's good for changing lanes, if I see the headlights, I have room even though the other guy may not like it.

Shoulder check for me is confirmation. Being aware of my surround is my primary tool. Either method is ok as long as you know what the limitations are. If you can't see where you want to go, don't! It's pretty simple.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Originally posted by FixedGear

Having overlap between the mirrors is very important IMO because it allows you better survey the most important areas with a quick glance between the various mirrors. This is especially important while reversing, which i have to do up a hill around a corner to get out of my garage.

I've tried the other method many, many times and find that for me, it's actually far unsafer as i don't have visual continuity between the mirrors, so it's hard to my brain to put things together when I make quick glances between the mirrors. When I change lanes, I shoulder check... one should be doing this anyhow, regardless of their mirror setup so for me I just don't see the advantage.
    I believe the text quoted in the original post calls for some overlap. At least that's the way I interpret it and how I have mine set up. I can see portions of the same car in my rear view and driver's side view as they approach, and as they pass I can shoulder check (which I agree should still be part of the equation) and see the front of the car ahead of my b-pillar while the side or back is still visible in the side view.

For me maximizing the coverage of the driver's side view mirror means I only need to turn my head 90 degrees to shoulder check, rather than contort my upper body to peek around the b-pillar. Anything rearward of the pillar should still be visible in the side view.

For tricky reversing I'll pull the passenger side mirror in slightly then readjust.

Originally posted by FixedGear
    I've tried the other method many, many times and find that for me, it's actually far unsafer as i don't have visual continuity between the mirrors, so it's hard to my brain to put things together when I make quick glances between the mirrors.
    This is my wife's problem as well. She can't get used to losing the reference points so she has no idea where the objects in her side mirrors actually are. The additional problem she has right now is giant B pillars force her to do a really awkward shoulder check.

Pretty much like gogreen is saying. The way I have my mirrors set, I turn my head and I'm good, but my wife has to actually twist her torso to do a shoulder check. That's messed up to me.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Mibz
    my wife has to actually twist her torso to do a shoulder check. That's messed up to me.
    The worst offenders are ones with their hand at 12 when they turn and the wheel goes with them.

I have adjusted my mirrors to this method for approximately 5 years now and I have NEVER even come close to having a "blind spot" incident. It's absolutely fool proof. If you need to see something closer to the side of your car just lean.... the only time you should be doing it anyway is when you are barely moving (parking, creeping out of a lane), so it's really not so bad.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2