Quantcast
When do you fill up? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: When do you fill up?

Default When do you fill up?

So saw someone post in another thread that they "always aim to top my tank off once it hits a quarter in order to save my fuel pump".

Created this thread so as to keep the other one on topic but the above statement got me to wondering what this person thinks they're saving their fuel pump from. If it's premature failure, then that's got me confused as for the 35 years I've owned vehicles, I've only had to replace one fuel pump and that was on an older small block Chevy V8 where the fuel pump was not mounted in the tank.

As such, either I've been damn lucky or it's really a non-issue - anyhow, what's other people's ideas/thoughts/experiences on all of this, are you saving a fuel pump by keeping more fuel in the tank? Now I'll assume we're not talking about running a tank dry so you're completely out of fuel, just how far down do you let the tank go and if a tank is empty enough for the low fuel light to come on, are you risking the longevity of your fuel pump? It has not been my experience to date in 35 years that a fuel pump's longevity is affected by a tank that has at least some fuel in it, enough for the vehicle to run and get you to a fuel station - this is assuming that this is what is meant by "save my fuel pump".

By the way, I'm not picking on the person who posted the above quoted statement - I am just curious is to whether or not there's any real issues with respect to that statement or is it another old wives' tale.

My Ride
    Nothing

seems pretty straightforward - fuel in the fuel tank keeps the pump cool; pump gets too hot, burns out faster.

corvettes are notorious for eating fuel pumps if you continually run the tanks low.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I rarely let my tank get below half.

Not because I think it helps the pump but it's become a habit to do it in the winter for safety and just carried over for the rest of the year I guess.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    I rarely let my tank get below half.

Not because I think it helps the pump but it's become a habit to do it in the winter for safety and just carried over for the rest of the year I guess.
    In the summer, I don't usually go below 1/4, but in the winter, it rarely goes below 1/2 tank, for your exact reasons. I don't want to get caught stranded on the highway with no gas and struggling to keep my kids warm.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    G37X

I'm the same^. Half tank in winter quarter tank in summer, also makes it so I don't have to spend as long outside each time I'm pumping in winter.

Default Re: When do you fill up?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 08:52 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I've always been under the impression that a lot of gunk can build at the bottom of the tank over time and running your tank near empty starts to introduce that into the engine.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    G37X

Always before I hit a quarter tank. I don't ever wait for a low fuel light.

Then I guess I've been damn lucky over 35 years then and multiple vehicles, usually run them down to about an 1/8th tank, sometimes fuel light on and never an issue to date with any vehicle that's had in-tank fuel pumps.

Do people really know this is an issue or are they just assuming?

As far as the stranded thing, wow. Any vehicle I've had could easily go 500-700km on the highway meaning there was always somewhere I could get gasoline in my travels. Even travelling back from Kelowna during really shitty winter weather and being stopped for hours on end for avalanche control and accidents one winter, we never had low fuel issue, topped up at Golden and we were good to go. Maybe back in the 80's or earlier, getting stranded might've been an issue what with vehicles that got poor fuel mileage and everything shutting down at 6pm or earlier but these days, it kind of boggles my mind that someone could get stranded due to running out of fuel. Even to drive to 100 Mile House in one shot in B.C. from Calgary (800+ km), there are quite a few locations that have 24 hour service stations - Canmore, Golden, Revelstoke, possibly Sicamous, Salmon Arm, possibly Chase, Kamloops, possibly Barriere. Quite easy to top up at any one of those places so one doesn't half to get stranded due to running out of fuel. Where are y'all driving to that 24 hour fuel stations aren't available over a 500-600km stretch - even to Winnipeg it's not a big deal.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

i start looking when my DTE hits ~100.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I always wait till the tank is near empty (indicator, not much beyond) and I never have any problem. That's what it's supposed to do.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Focus- usually let it get just under 1/4 because it takes so long to burn a tank and I forget that it actually uses gas. I also hate the tank, when the pump clicks it's FULL. Anymore gas at full and it spills out. Annoying if you want to fill to the next dollar.

Mustang- usually at 3/8. The last 1/4 is actually huge, but the mustang is thirsty...

I hate the low fuel light. Some people (like my girlfriend) seem to like to run their car to the light.

The fuel pump thing in the quote is BS.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    jdm b18c

Depending on what you drive, always have waited for the fuel light to come on a Honda, never had an issue . Did it on a Pontiac needed a fuel pump at 90k lol
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I don't understand the "getting to an even number" deal. nothing else you buy will do that, so why bother? its also bad for the evap system when you overfill it, and that is known to be true, unlike the fuel pump dying prematurely stuff.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by ShermanEF9
    , and that is known to be true, unlike the fuel pump dying prematurely stuff.
    Um, it is a truth. Letting it get near to empty, and then getting in a highway traffic parking lot is a good way to run out of fuel, and running out of fuel means damaging your pump and/or injectors.

Especially bad in places like BC, where you could be parked on a hill, and starve the pump even with fuel in there.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

One blip under 1/4 tank or 100km remaining on my tank. I have a D4S car with crazy injection and I have no worries about going low.

It can be bad for turbo cars to run low, on a corner the fuel pump can suck air and the engine can run lean briefly under load. My old maxima liked to warn me on hard corners.

Manufacturers have figured out people hate filling up their cars, and the warning light is a great indicator when to get fuel, there aren't nearly as many issues as the old days.

It's rare to see fuel lines freeze, gas is better and cars are engineered better.

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

When's it's free at centex

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Light comes on, hit the gas station. Fill to 1/2. It's all about minimizing weight haha.

Never had a fuel pump overheat problem, and never had gunk in engine because there's a thing called a fuel filter.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I've been driving for damn near 40 years. Lost count of how many cars I've owned.
    Had one fuel pump problem in a '70 Austin Mini. And that was a bitch to replace. Had to use the braille method as it's on the back of the engine.
    I get gas if
    A) it's on empty or last 4 cars if the light comes on.
    B) I'm going to be driving a long distance and I'm less than 1/2 tank.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Mechanicals pumps for the win

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast