Quantcast
Help with Used vehicle purchase.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with Used vehicle purchase..

Default Help with Used vehicle purchase..

Okay beyond...need all you curbers' and flippers' advice.

We're in the process of replacing our totaled Lincoln Navigator. I've found a vehicle we're very interested in, unfortunately it's located at a dealer North of Edmonton.

I've received their inspection report (obviously not much help) but did receive the invoice from their service dept when they took the vehicle in. The only thing major other than oil change, wipers replaced, signal light replaced, was a new PS pump and hose replacement. Total $1500 invoice. I also got the CarProof History report. (I guess similar to Carfax?) No incidents, or insurance claims, or major damage claim. There is one notice of a Lein in Alberta, which the salesman claims is/will be removed. (I guess that's an easy check)

I don't mind driving up there...but what other advice can you give me? I originally wanted to have any vehicle I was interested in go through an inspection from a local mechanic here in Calgary that I trust...but now with the distance, this is obviously out.

And what about holding it? Refundable depost..."Subject to Customer inspection", etc, etc?
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 06-10-2015 at 11:56 AM.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

You could maybe check on 780tuners and ask about a reputable shop up there?

There was a thread a while back about a guy asking about doing his own inspection and T&T Honda wouldn't let him (IIRC), not sure on the advice he got...but some of it may be pertinent to your situation?

Originally posted by haggis88
    You could maybe check on 780tuners and ask about a reputable shop up there?

There was a thread a while back about a guy asking about doing his own inspection and T&T Honda wouldn't let him (IIRC), not sure on the advice he got...but some of it may be pertinent to your situation?
    Yeah I wasn't even sure if a dealer would let you take it elsewhere for an inspection. I can take it for a drive, check the oil, exhaust pipe, tire wear, listen for valves, etc....but I'm certainly no expert when it comes to looking for potential problems.
    Maybe purchase their warranties they offer? I know, I know...thats pure gravy to them....

My Ride
    AECO

Which vehicle are you looking at? Year and kms?

Is it an independent dealer or big name dealer?

Carproof is the big one in Canada.

http://www.amvic.org/consumer/the-bu...-used-vehicle/

http://www.amvic.org/wp-content/uplo...14-no-logo.pdf

Personally I would just try to get something out of the dealer auction or locally and save the hassle.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you want five hundred second opinions on that particular vehicle, post up what it is and what dealer it's at.

My opinion is that all used vehicles are a gamble, even from "reputable" dealerships. So, find one you like, and don't ever think that it'll be trouble-free.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    K-car

emailed you dave
    Last edited by corsvette; 06-10-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    If you want five hundred second opinions on that particular vehicle, post up what it is and what dealer it's at.

My opinion is that all used vehicles are a gamble, even from "reputable" dealerships. So, find one you like, and don't ever think that it'll be trouble-free.
    LOL...yeah I'm not posting it til the deal is done or passed.

Question. Realistically, what percentage of wriggle room do you think a dealer has on a used vehicle with a sticker price of $12,995?
    10%? 15%?

My Ride
    NC1

Does black book value apply here?

There's a lot of wiggle room with used cars however whether they discount it to you is another story.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

i've bought used from dealers a couple of times, always offered around 10% less than asking, knowing the blue book value trying to land around there. At the end of the day, if you really want the vehicle, then you have to be prepared to pay what it takes to get it. But on the other hand, if money is your main priority, then be prepared to walk if they won't give the price you want.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You were only able to find one of whatever vehicle this is in the entire province. I'm guessing they have some idea how rare it is, and if you are driving up from cow-town to see it, then they know you really want it.

You will have a hard time getting much more than 5%, that's my prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Go in with a number in mind. Tell them your offer. If they do not accept, say "ok", give them your number, and tell them to call you when they want to accept your offer. Then leave.

Leaving is the only power you have with a stealership. I just bought a used dmax for a screamin deal due to an issue it had, but they wanted $6500 for it. I drove out to vermillion, said "I am willing to pay $4500". Initially they were all "no way" and I said $4500 was my final offer. They finally came around but said they had to add GST, and I was fine with that. But that was only after I was basically walking out the door.

It does a dealer no good to not sell a used vehicle, there are always more buyers. It is better to move inventory then to have it sit, especially since if someone has $10+k cash to outright buy a vehicle, they more than likely would be financing new and putting that cash down.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

LOL...yeah I'm not posting it til the deal is done or passed.

Question. Realistically, what percentage of wriggle room do you think a dealer has on a used vehicle with a sticker price of $12,995?
    10%? 15%?

Okay....here's the rig I've been looking at.

http://www.sprucelandford.com/used/2.../id5394632?seo

Thoughts? What would you have hoped to pick it up for., Offered...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

looks good, 200kms though is a turnoff. I would probably offer $10k all in with included extended warranty.

They probably took it in on trade for $4-5k. into it for another $2k.

Good towing rig too.

I would be trying to get it out of there for $10k with some warranty. without warranty, I would be a lot lower.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Okay....here's the rig I've been looking at.

http://www.sprucelandford.com/used/2.../id5394632?seo

Thoughts? What would you have hoped to pick it up for., Offered...
    Damn, that ,looks nice.... Id offer 10K and see where they go. To be honest they are so hard to find, I'd still be happy if I got it for ~12. I looked all over for a Suburban in good shape in that price range and ended up with a jeep grand cherokee. That'd be a killer tow rig and comfy for road trips.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Any idea how long that dealership has had it?
    As you know, that's a pretty desirable package, and an awesome tow rig. I would for sure be offering around $10k, and I'm sure they would be making good money on it at that price, but they may be a little reluctant to sell it quick.

Here's a few in Calgary.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Would be sweet if you could get into the Newer model 2007+ trucks. To my eye, they look a lot less dated. That's going to be tougher if you want leather and all the features though.

My Ride
    AECO

I had white 2006 2500 6.0 ex Telus Unit that I picked up for ~$6000 in 2011 at auction. Put $700 into it. It was missing the 3rd row seats and no roof or leather but was fully loaded /w Bose sound. Terrible on gas, but I loved driving it.

I more or less agree with spikerS math and that it is likely a trade in. But the numbers on every used vehicle are different.

On those units you can check the hour meter to tell if it was a work truck...

EDIT: Telus miles out at 160kms
    Last edited by stillworking; 06-11-2015 at 11:06 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by spikerS
    I would be trying to get it out of there for $10k with some warranty. without warranty, I would be a lot lower.
    Just a comment on getting a warranty. Since this is used, I think any warranty you'd be getting would be through the dealership. I don't think getting this thing repaired or serviced in Whitecourt is a realistic proposition.

Maybe talk about a warranty as a bargaining chip, but realize you won't be able to use it.

I would be very surprised if the dealer payed more than ~$4,000ish for that, and then put the bare minimum into it to make it sale-able, which they should be able to show you receipts for.

Here is a 2006 with 150k for $9,950, but I am not sure if there are other differences:

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Chevrole...PO&orup=1_15_1

Or if you don't care about KM, buy the 2008 on Kijiji with 400k for $3999 and drive it until it breaks.

I'd start at $7K or so depending on how much they put into it, and less if it was a work truck. I can't help but thinking buying a 10 year old suburban with 200K on it is going to be a headache and a money pit though. I also wouldn't touch that thing without a third party inspection from a shop you trust, and also get them to verify every piece of work the dealer shows you receipts for.

Also try to imagine yourself having to sell it the day after you bought it - what do you think you would have to price it at to sell it in a short period of time? Sometimes that helps get you in the ballpark.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-12-2015 at 08:58 AM.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Also try to imagine yourself having to sell it the day after you bought it - what do you think you would have to price it at to sell it in a short period of time? Sometimes that helps get you in the ballpark.
    Good, solid advice right there.

Issue with Edm buying is you're not going there for service ever again. They hope you do. Generates more income.

IMO, if you're not going for a private sale, no point going elsewhere in AB or Country for vehicle. A company selling a vehicle, wants you to bring it back for service and warranty.

As well, issues with trucks is you don't know who's towed what and where. Tranny would be the biggest check I'd want and the fluids checked out/changed.
    Sounds like you're like me in that you find a vehicle and keep it for the rest of it's life. Most beyonders it seems are changing vehicles out every season.

Maybe people can see if their company fleet trucks are getting sold off? There's some city guys with company trucks that they let go for pretty good prices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast