Quantcast
What would you do? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

You might remember the photos I posted a few weeks back of a beautiful Bobcat that is in our area quite often (Canyon Meadows).

Well it's now gotten to the point where it's hunting our cats. This morning at 4:00 am, there was a commotion on our patio, which is completely gated with a locked gate and stairs down to the sidewalk. Bobcat chased our cat up through the railings, and since he couldn't fit, hopped the gate and had our cat cornered. Wife jumps out of bed and opens the door and the Bobcat just stood it's ground and growled at her....ever so slowly turned away and hopped the gate again.

What should we do? (Spare me the "all cats should be tied up and inside the house at all times" bit).

Prepare to get a new cat? (shrugs)

My Ride
    DA6, R59

spray it with bear spray next time it comes by. Maybe that will deter it from coming back.

Originally posted by D. Dub
    Prepare to get a new cat? (shrugs)
    LOL....thats basically what I was thinking too. Hopefully he learns to run faster than Mr Bobcat.

My Ride
    Silverado

set up a trap, leave your cat inside for a few days. kill bobcat.

Bobcats need to do their thing too. If you're concerned about your pets becoming a meal, don't let them outside. The comments above about bear spray and killing the bobcat are fucking stupid, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Yeah, talk to someone who will trap and release it. Killing it is pointless imo.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Post it for free on Kijiji? Sure someone will take it

Relocated wildlife generally has a poor chance of survival. Learn to live with nature, and don't let your cats outside if you're concerned about it.

Originally posted by FixedGear
    Bobcats need to do their thing too. If you're concerned about your pets becoming a meal, don't let them outside. The comments above about bear spray and killing the bobcat are fucking stupid, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
    lol...so you suggest the killing of my cats by a bobcat is natural (part of the food chain) but the killing of a bobcat by a human (also part of the food chain) is dispicable and we should all be ashamed. Lol. Riiiight.
    Can I kill it if my sisters two-year old is on the patio at the same time, or should I just keep the child locked up inside the house?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Call Fish and Wildlife, they'll come and figure out if it can be relocated or needs to be destroyed.

FWIW, Dave's house isn't out in the boonies, so a bobcat thats aggressive could be a hazard for people as well as pets.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    93 integra

Default Re: What would you do?

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    You might remember the photos I posted a few weeks back of a beautiful Bobcat that is in our area quite often (Canyon Meadows).

Well it's now gotten to the point where it's hunting our cats. This morning at 4:00 am, there was a commotion on our patio, which is completely gated with a locked gate and stairs down to the sidewalk. Bobcat chased our cat up through the railings, and since he couldn't fit, hopped the gate and had our cat cornered. Wife jumps out of bed and opens the door and the Bobcat just stood it's ground and growled at her....ever so slowly turned away and hopped the gate again.

What should we do? (Spare me the "all cats should be tied up and inside the house at all times" bit).
    i usually like your posts...but you let your pets outside in proximity to the rockies, be ready to lose your pet. WE encroached on animals natural habitats not the other way around.

You even so much as touch that wild animal and you're a massive hypocrite. Don't want to lose the cat/dog then don't let it outside unsupervised when you know you have a bobcat around.

IMO this is your problem not the bobcat's. It's ITS home not yours and YOU chose to let your cats out and ITS a predator.

If you ask me, you are asking for new kitten time.

My Ride
    NC1

Yea don't go down dark alleys meow.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I'd recommend trapping it (humanely) and relocating it with the help of staff of the fish & wildlife comission. Bobcats aren't a pest in essence, but keep in mind your in its habitat, it's just doing what it naturally does, hunting for food.

Although it's odd that it would wander into a suburban area. Most of them stick to the foothills area and don't venture beyond that. Like what was said, it may become a threat potentially, so best leave it in their hands as they can make a proper assessment of it.

Until that happens though, I'd definately leave the cat indoors after dark or when it's unsupervised. i always make sure our cat is inside at nighttime, as there are sometimes coyotes and badgers that I worry about. Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do when I'm sleeping and I can't hear anything outside or see much of it since it's dark out.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 06-20-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Default Re: Re: What would you do?

Originally posted by ekguy

i usually like your posts...but you let your pets outside in proximity to the rockies, be ready to lose your pet. WE encroached on animals natural habitats not the other way around.

You even so much as touch that wild animal and you're a massive hypocrite. Don't want to lose the cat/dog then don't let it outside unsupervised when you know you have a bobcat around.

IMO this is your problem not the bobcat's. It's ITS home not yours and YOU chose to let your cats out and ITS a predator.

Dave doesn't live in "proximity to the rockies", he lives in a residential area that has been there for years.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

You should open up betting on which cat will win the fight. Then sell the fight for $100 pay per view.

I'd just keep your cat indoors, I think a Bob cat in the area would be neat to watch.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Default Re: Re: What would you do?

Originally posted by ekguy

Hypocrite?!!!! ROFL... Uhh, I eat meat, btw. I also have leather belts, and my wife has some furs. Last time I checked, us humans are legally allowed to hunt, kill, trap, eat, and wear whatever animals SRD deems fit. Bobcats being one of them.

I also live in a subdivision that has been around since the 1960's, complete with multi-lane divided roadways on all 4 boundaries...hardly "proximity" to the Rockes.

The hypocrites are anyone saying I can't kill an animal, meanwhile they are heading to the Keg for dinner.

SO....if I got rid of my cats, and the Bobcat is still around an infant and a two year old playing in the backyard....how about then...can I kill/trap/get rid of it then?

Originally posted by NoPulp
    You should open up betting on which cat will win the fight. Then sell the fight for $100 pay per view.

I'd just keep your cat indoors, I think a Bob cat in the area would be neat to watch.
    I like the betting idea!!

btw, this is the same Bobcat on the next door neighbours' little girls' playhouse, that they are in all the time. They don't have any cats. Would you let YOUR 2 year old and 4 year old play in that playhouse...or should you move, because you're encroaching on the native animals natural living quarters?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^Wow I'd love one of those as a pet that would be all kinds of bad ass, obviously domesticating it would be all kinds of impossible.... but.. Damn.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast