Quantcast
most reliable truck? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: most reliable truck?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

People are really brand loyal in a lot of automotive areas. Look at the BMW vs Merc folks. Lots of them wouldn't dream of switching brands.

As for me, I have the stereotypical redneck reason. My Daddy drove Ford trucks, and I learned to drive in a Ford truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

All of the new HD's are incredible compared to even a decade ago.

Ford no longer has issues with their diesels, Dodge has a revised front and rear suspension that while still a solid axle in the front, actually rides ok (you could argue the rear rides better than the gm brethren).

At the end of the day, I am a GM guy. Why is that? Because my family has had 4 gm trucks, 3 of them with over 400,000kms on them that were sold to get something newer/bigger, not because there was anything inherently wrong with them.

I just took the 2001 dmax on a 5500km trip towing 6k lbs. Average mpg cruising at 110km/h was 15.5usmpg. Hard to go wrong there It has 420k kms on it now and didn't miss a beat, love that thing.

The new gassers are decent, but you'll still get shit mpg. I tried everything with my 2008 GMC 2500hd 6.0L 6 speed 4x4. It was ok and livable, but any significant wind-resistance and pffffffffffffffffffffffft.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

D250? You can't compare a 20 year old truck to new ones ffs.

All of the big 3 have undergone radical changes since then.
    you're absolutely right, what a stupid assumption that would be if that was the end of it.
    Let's fast forward now to 5 years ago when I was managing a fleet of 7 dodge trucks that weren't more then three years old. Each and everyone of them had an array of electrical problems that I've never seen on any ford or GM truck. Non fuctioning Power windows, power door locks, HVAC controls, radio issues.... just endless. Not one of them was free of electrical problems. It was typically "which one can we use that at least has XXX working on it?." Now if they were Laramie's or the like..... okay... but they werent. Super base models with just air, cruise, tilt, power windows, mirrors and door locks. .... and that was it. If I had the time to go through them, I would have, but never did. I just had to leave them with their faulty switches or whatever else what problematic on them.

Yet still, buddies with Rams, same shit.... I've never been so glad to not own anything by Chrysler. Buddy with his '10 power wagon now just replaced the rear axle, now has that typical dodge death wobble above 80. It's like.... and you bought this thing why? Fuck I hate dodge.
    Same guy likes to razz me about my Chevy and ford trucks. I just say to him, "oh how's your power ram doing?, you know, the one parked in your driveway that you can't safely drive anymore?"

Meanwhile I've had no issues ever with any of the ones I own.
    If you do get a 3/4 ton or bigger. Go with the duramax. Our 6.0 equipped '10 Silverado has difficulty pulling our 40ft gooseneck heavy equipment trailer even unloaded. When it does, fuel economy as bad as 17L/100kms is quite common. Shouldn't of cheaped out and went with a gasser .
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 06-22-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

I like my 08 2500HD Duramax. It's the first HD truck I have owned so I can't compare it too much. Ride quality is very similar to my 2011 1500 I traded up from, a little rougher but barely noticable. Fuel economy pulling my 7500lb 28' travel trailer is much better then it was with the 5.3 (10-15 l/100K difference) BUT as a DD the diesel burns a lot more then the 5.3 did (about 19l/100k vs 16ish) so I would say on a yearly basis, I probably still pay more for diesel than I did for Gas.

Just my feedback.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    you're absolutely right, what a stupid assumption that would be if that was the end of it.
    Let's fast forward now to 5 years ago when I was managing a fleet of 7 dodge trucks that weren't more then three years old. Each and everyone of them had an array of electrical problems that I've never seen on any ford or GM truck. Non fuctioning Power windows, power door locks, HVAC controls, radio issues.... just endless. Not one of them was free of electrical problems. It was typically "which one can we use that at least has XXX working on it?." Now if they were Laramie's or the like..... okay... but they werent. Super base models with just air, cruise, tilt, power windows, mirrors and door locks. .... and that was it. If I had the time to go through them, I would have, but never did. I just had to leave them with their faulty switches or whatever else what problematic on them.

Yet still, buddies with Rams, same shit.... I've never been so glad to not own anything by Chrysler. Buddy with his '10 power wagon now just replaced the rear axle, now has that typical dodge death wobble above 80. It's like.... and you bought this thing why? Fuck I hate dodge.
    Same guy likes to razz me about my Chevy and ford trucks. I just say to him, "oh how's your power ram doing?, you know, the one parked in your driveway that you can't safely drive anymore?"

Meanwhile I've had no issues ever with any of the ones I own.
    If you do get a 3/4 ton or bigger. Go with the duramax. Our 6.0 equipped '10 Silverado has difficulty pulling our 40ft gooseneck heavy equipment trailer even unloaded. When it does, fuel economy as bad as 17L/100kms is quite common. Shouldn't of cheaped out and went with a gasser .
    this is really good information to know, to determine between buying a gasser half ton or a HD

the reason being... if I'm towing 9k (30 foot trailer) uphill... I would imagine that a F150 with the 6.2 would have alot more steam than a F250...

I know accelleration shouldn't be the concern, but if it can barely sustain the speed limit, and have even more determental fuel economy, that is obviously a concern from an overall driveability perspective.

I don't think I want to be going 80k with my foot all the way down and never ever getting to the speed limit
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 06-22-2015 at 03:02 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by s_havinga
    I like my 08 2500HD Duramax. It's the first HD truck I have owned so I can't compare it too much. Ride quality is very similar to my 2011 1500 I traded up from, a little rougher but barely noticable. Fuel economy pulling my 7500lb 28' travel trailer is much better then it was with the 5.3 (10-15 l/100K difference) BUT as a DD the diesel burns a lot more then the 5.3 did (about 19l/100k vs 16ish) so I would say on a yearly basis, I probably still pay more for diesel than I did for Gas.

Just my feedback.
    Do you still have all the emissions/stock tune?

A dmax with the emissions removed and a tune should easily get the same mpg in city and highway unloaded.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Do you still have all the emissions/stock tune?

A dmax with the emissions removed and a tune should easily get the same mpg in city and highway unloaded.
    lolwut

Maybe it's a stupid question on my behalf, but how is it possible for ANY vehicle (not including hybrids and shit) to get the same mileage in city as on highway? Please enlighten.

edit: show some proof of some type, otherwise it's meaningless speculation. If this is actually true, I'm gonna tell my dad to get a tune for his dmax haha

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Originally posted by cjblair

lolwut

Maybe it's a stupid question on my behalf, but how is it possible for ANY vehicle (not including hybrids and shit) to get the same mileage in city as on highway? Please enlighten.

edit: show some proof of some type, otherwise it's meaningless speculation. If this is actually true, I'm gonna tell my dad to get a tune for his dmax haha
    Definitely put a tune on it. Intake and exhaust too. With those mods, my LBZ D-max dropped over 2L/100 km in any driving situation, had a ton more power, towed way better, and way more enjoyable to drive overall. Long term average in the current D-max is 11.1L/100km. Mine does get a bit worse with more regular city driving (into the 12s).

My Ride
    Ferrari

Originally posted by r3ccOs

this is really good information to know, to determine between buying a gasser half ton or a HD

the reason being... if I'm towing 9k (30 foot trailer) uphill... I would imagine that a F150 with the 6.2 would have alot more steam than a F250...
    Its not quite that simple when you get into big trailers. F150's are lighter than Super Duties. Heavy Duty trucks pull harder and smoother. Also the components are a heavier duty. The length of the truck also helps with stability. I noticed a massive difference going from my 1500 GMC to my F350 in the general driving characteristics of pulling the same trailer. Horsepower was the same between both trucks.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

lolwut

My 81 GMC gets better mileage in town than it does on the highway, I'm sure. That's what happens when you have a 454 and a 3 speed transmission that shifts into high gear at 40km/hr.

To the OP, how often and how far do you tow, and are you looking at brand new or used?
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by SKR

My 81 GMC gets better mileage in town than it does on the highway, I'm sure. That's what happens when you have a 454 and a 3 speed transmission that shifts into high gear at 40km/hr.

To the OP, how often and how far do you tow, and are you looking at brand new or used?
    My '77 Ford F250 gets 10mpg city, 10mpg highway, 10mpg towing 2000lbs, 10mpg towing 5000lbs

460 w/3 speed and 4.10 gears.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

lolwut

I meant city/highway of the dmax compared to city/highway of the gasser Sorry for the confusion

Edit-
    I was quite anti-diesel for a long time, not because I didn't know the benefits, but the potential costs of repairs scared the crap out of me.

My dad just bought a 2008 duramax, and I just bought a 2001. We both never knew what we were missing, better gas mileage, better towing, and a lot less "thinking" required to not worry about doing a money-down-shift when towing uphill.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

D250? You can't compare a 20 year old truck to new ones ffs.

All of the big 3 have undergone radical changes since then.

Originally posted by Maxt

D250 is going back to the early 90's. 22 years plus.. Still a ton of those trucks on the road.

My brother picked up an early 90's model 250 with a cummins a while ago. Extended cab. He loves it. Drives it everywhere.

I have heard on numerous occasions that this model is widely regarded as the "best truck ever built." I have even heard those words uttered from people that hate Dodge.

We had one for a bit while I was growing up on the farm. We sold it to another family member and he's still driving it today. I think he has a million on the odometre. I've heard thats fairly common for that model.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

My '77 Ford F250 gets 10mpg city, 10mpg highway, 10mpg towing 2000lbs, 10mpg towing 5000lbs

460 w/3 speed and 4.10 gears.
    Jesus, I wish I could get 10mpg. The odometer doesn't work so it's tough to tell what my mileage actually is. But I burn about 15L to drive 30km, according to Google Maps. That's 4.7mpg (US), or 5.6mpg (Imperial).

Edit: I even have a 3.08 rear end.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    K-car

I'll go ahead and throw my recommendation towards a GM/Chev. And if budget allows I'd definitely go diesel. More than anything though I'd go with a 3/4 ton if you want to do any towing north of 5000lbs. I work with all kinds of fleet trucks from all different company's. I get to hear the good/bad/ugly from all the managers, drivers, and tech's.

Put it this way, you CAN'T buy a bad truck today. The pickups produced over the last 10 years are amazing compared to 10 years prior. Each have their own strengths and weakness.

My Ride
    bus

Stick with ford, they make the best trucks.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

My opinion is ford. But that's because that's what I know and think they look the best. Unless you're aware of horrible negatives to one of the 3, they're all pretty good in most areas.

Side note: I've noticed for awhile about the amount of vehicles on lots. Chevy has a lot of vehicles but I believe they're selling a decent amount. Ford dealerships are always empty and I know it's because they're selling. Dodge dealerships scare me... absolutely over stocked behind belief. There is no way dodge sells even a fraction of their vehicles. Does anyone else notice is? Maybe just the dealerships in my area? But does it become a concern for buying a dodge for future value?

Also lol at people who worry a lot about gas mileage in a truck... it's a truck, they suck on gas. My old supercharged 98 f150 didn't get hardly any worse gas mileage than a new ecoboost actually gets. Only difference is more power though, but that's only useful if you're towing.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Tacoma!!!

Originally posted by Alak

Its not quite that simple when you get into big trailers. F150's are lighter than Super Duties. Heavy Duty trucks pull harder and smoother. Also the components are a heavier duty. The length of the truck also helps with stability. I noticed a massive difference going from my 1500 GMC to my F350 in the general driving characteristics of pulling the same trailer. Horsepower was the same between both trucks.
    stability I understand... but "power" I am not sure... probably has to do with transmission ratios, but really would a F250 5.4 pull harder than a F150 5.4

or F250 6.2 vs F150?

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by NoPulp
    My opinion is ford. But that's because that's what I know and think they look the best. Unless you're aware of horrible negatives to one of the 3, they're all pretty good in most areas.

Side note: I've noticed for awhile about the amount of vehicles on lots. Chevy has a lot of vehicles but I believe they're selling a decent amount. Ford dealerships are always empty and I know it's because they're selling. Dodge dealerships scare me... absolutely over stocked behind belief. There is no way dodge sells even a fraction of their vehicles. Does anyone else notice is? Maybe just the dealerships in my area? But does it become a concern for buying a dodge for future value?

Also lol at people who worry a lot about gas mileage in a truck... it's a truck, they suck on gas. My old supercharged 98 f150 didn't get hardly any worse gas mileage than a new ecoboost actually gets. Only difference is more power though, but that's only useful if you're towing.

Lol! Funny you mention Dodge/Chrysler lots over-full. They've been busted with some seedy ways to earn "best selling in Canada" title.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/try-i...opic%3D93494.0

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast