Quantcast
homebuilder not being honest-need advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: homebuilder not being honest-need advice

Default homebuilder not being honest-need advice

long story short...I am building a smaller new home from a insurance settlement. Decided on one builder(will not reveal). Negotiated the price and upgrades. Checked his credentials, home warranty, business license (20 years) reviews on google search(none), BBB (none)...all ok. I signed the contract in March and gave him the down payment. Now here's where it gets interesting. Security fencing surrounds the property from the demolition. I asked the builder before signing the contract will he take over the fence. He said yes. I phoned the fencing company and they said no he did not and the fence will be removed in 2 weeks if not taken over. This went back and forth a few times till I thought I was certain builder took over. I received a call from the fencing company after 2 weeks telling me they already removed the fencing from the property. I immediately called the builder and raised shit. He immediately took over the fence and they put it back up right away. I checked with the fencing company and yes the builder signed the papers. This was the first incident. The second incident has to do with the permits. When I signed the contract The builder told me it would take about 3 months to obtain both building and development permits from the city. The permits will be approved by June and construction will take 5 months and I have a brand new shiny home around November. So I call/email the builder every 2 weeks or so in late May. He always said no permits yet. As of today it's been over 3 months. I decided to call the permit office myself and enquire why my permits are taking so long. The city told me other than demolition, no permits have been applied for as of yet at this address. Fuck.Called my builder and told him what the city said. He said yes I did apply. I called the city permit office again to make sure. Same thing said.So I'm heading down tomorrow to builders office to straighten out this mess. I'm super pissed, given him $20k down payment and I don't trust him to give a penny more. Any advice what to do next is appreciated.

Get a face to face to see the documents he filed. I'd assume he should have lots of paper trails you can verify. Did you check references from recent builds he did?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Paragraphs are useful...just sayin'
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc