Quantcast
Kitchen Appliances, what brands? - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Appliances, what brands?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

My LG stove plays nice little songs every time something happens, like getting up to heat or a timer finishing. It's really endeared it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having inside water helps tremendously with reliability. No water is better but I realize that's not feasible these days.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  optimized-ezgif-1-c72a2eb424.gif
Views: 409
Size:  5.95 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    9th year update on the Samsung fridge. It’s fucked. Lost all our food this weekend. Fan ices up, similar to ice box, and fridge is at 10c and won’t get colder.

The ice box, which got replaced, continues to freeze up. Not even sure if it’s worth fixing at this point. Service guy says yea it’ll just fuck up in 3-6 months again.
    I have to continually "defrost" my ice maker and then it ends up overmaking ice and having to repeat the same steps.

I haven't had a functioning ice maker on my Samsung fridge for 2 years.

Repairman said he sees it almost daily with Samsung Fridges. I think he quoted like $6-700 to fix.

My Ride
    changes every year

Almost 3 years on my Samsung fridge and stove, no issues. Expecting some soon lol

My Ride
    Z

6 years on a Samsung fridge and not a single issue of any kind

KitchenAid gas range and oven of unknown age (15+?) and so good still. Had to replace the gas valve but it's such a good appliance
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's the nice thing about gas, only so many things can go wrong.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I need to light my Samsung with a lighter lol.

Sparks fine but the location. Of the igniter is nowhere near where the flame comes out so it’s basically a faulty design.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

We built our house in 2007 and every major appliance has crapped out in the time since, except the range and washing machine, so far.

Most recent was our Amana (sp?) fridge that died last summer, which we replaced with an LG. Even the damn over-the-range microwave had to be replaced.

This is somewhat disappointing after observing from growing up that appliances my parents bought back in the early 70s lasted 30+ years easily.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    I have to continually "defrost" my ice maker and then it ends up overmaking ice and having to repeat the same steps.

I haven't had a functioning ice maker on my Samsung fridge for 2 years.

Repairman said he sees it almost daily with Samsung Fridges. I think he quoted like $6-700 to fix.
    Yea repair guy came, charged me 180 for 5 mins saying i need a new fan panel. Quoted another 800 on top of that 180. Said we need to defrost so I emptied it, powered off and let it defrost overnight. As a test this morning turned it back on and heard the fan move. Error codes all cleared. 2 hrs later it’s cold again. Told him not to come back.

Fuck that repairman charging me 180 for nothing. Serves me right for trying to support a guy paying for a google ad link. He could’ve spent 30 mins defrosting it with a steamer to fix it and I wouldn’t feel so ripped off.

Guess I have to do a natural full defrost every 6 months or so. That seems to be what a lot of people are doing vs fixing because fixes aren’t permanent either.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Trucks

Yea repair guy came, charged me 180 for 5 mins saying i need a new fan panel. Quoted another 800 on top of that 180. Said we need to defrost so I emptied it, powered off and let it defrost overnight. As a test this morning turned it back on and heard the fan move. Error codes all cleared. 2 hrs later it’s cold again. Told him not to come back.

Fuck that repairman charging me 180 for nothing. Serves me right for trying to support a guy paying for a google ad link. He could’ve spent 30 mins defrosting it with a steamer to fix it and I wouldn’t feel so ripped off.

Guess I have to do a natural full defrost every 6 months or so. That seems to be what a lot of people are doing vs fixing because fixes aren’t permanent either.
    I hear similar complaints at work. I tell them to bring their broken shit to me and I’ll look at it for free. (instead of driving an entire expensive repair shop to them) It never happens.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    This is somewhat disappointing after observing from growing up that appliances my parents bought back in the early 70s lasted 30+ years easily.
    Pretty sure I watched my dad replace a dozen stove coils over the years... whereas now you have to replace an entire smooth glass cooktop...
    Manual knobs on that thing had also been replaced whereas now I've had an entire circuit board replaced on my induction hob.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Got a heating element replaced under warranty with Kitchenaid but the catch is have to pay the guy they sent with the parts.

Guy showed up, I kinda shadow him and he didn't even follow simple instruction and got the polarity reversed on the element. I had to point it out he got it wrong.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Oh, that's just the start of it. The frequency will increase until you're doing it every week. Mine is at the point that although I've cleared all visible ice from the maker innards, it still won't make ice anymore. I'm going to try a multi-day defrost and remove all plastic panels and insulation to speed it up. If I can't get the ice maker working again, it's new fridge time.
    Days of use before issues: About 180. They "fixed it" under warranty, but failed again a couple of weeks out of warranty, and Samsung was not interested in any goodwill.
    Years of use before bi-weekly ice removal required: About 2 years.
    Years of use before ice maker quit completely: About 5 years.

My other Samsung appliances haven't fared much better:
    Microwave: Buttons started getting hard to push after 6 months. Samsung said we had to push harder (which seemed unrealistic for capacitive touch). After about 18 months, buttons became completely unresponsive at times. I can still do various things like wiggle the door and rub my finger on my hand to increase heat and then sometimes it works. When all else fails, we unplug it and plug it back in. It also turns the lights and fan on and off when it wants, and has even started cooking on it's own about 10 times by now.
    Dryer: Steam failed just after 1 year. Heating element failed after 2 and after 4.
    Dishwasher: Racks started rusting in only a couple of months. Very weak coating. Rack held together with zip ties by 2 years. Upper spinning arms got the zip-tie treatment after 3 years. Last week the trim around the door opening separated so it's basically on life support now.

So essentially, we paid about almost 10g on our appliance suite when we built the house 6 years ago. Now we need everything brand new.

Never again, Samsung. Never again.

My Ride
    Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post

So essentially, we paid about almost 10g on our appliance suite when we built the house 6 years ago. Now we need everything brand new.

Never again, Samsung. Never again.
    Buy once cry once is my approach to appliances. Our home came with Subzero fridge and it is going strong after several years. I know several people with subzero refrigerators that are still ticking along 20, 30, 35 years later. Only reason to replace them is for aesthetic reasons, then they become great garage beer fridge/ freezers. Quite serviceable as well with factory trained local support. Of course they aren't cheap but as they say, it's expensive to be poor.

My Ride
    Trucks

$200 and it will last until the government confiscates it from your great-grand children. Warning though, it will use $0.80/month more in power than the throw away fridge you have now.

Name:  IMG_5091.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  73.1 KB

My Ride
    '14 Taco

if you buy a dishwasher from costco, do they actually install the whole thing? Our samsung (shocker) dishwasher is a giant POS. Have cleaned the filter religiously, yet the top rack refuses to get clean if bottom rack is remotely full.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 02-07-2024 at 08:17 AM.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    if you buy a dishwasher from costco, do they actually install the whole thing? Our samsung (shocker) dishwasher is a giant POS. Have cleaned the filter religiously, yet the top rack refuses to get clean if bottom rack is remotely full.
    Just bought a dishwasher from Costco. They will NOT install it. They will place it in the room that you want and take the old one away, but that is all. I had to insist that they unbox it as well before they left.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

damnit.. i want costco pricing but also the easy button

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    damnit.. i want costco pricing but also the easy button
    Installing a dishwasher is like a 60min job at most. If you are a little bit handy, it shouldn't be a challenge.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast