Quantcast
Stand Up Paddle Boarding - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Stand Up Paddle Boarding

My Ride
    06 F-150

Wink Stand Up Paddle Boarding

Is anyone into this? I grew up on the ocean and always regretted not learning to surf. This isn't quite the same but seems like a great alternative for us land lock folk here in Alberta.

Where are some good spots around Calgary to do this? Hoping for a good spot to hang out on shore with the kids for the day and to be able to get out on the water myself.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I do this at Arbour Lake. Pretty sure every lake community in the city has this available for residents. Find a friend that lives in a lake community.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I just started getting into it in the last couple years. It's quite serene on the lakes to just paddle around quietly. My wife and I bought our own boards this year and went with inflatable, which are supposedly tougher than fiberglass boards, and obviously much easier to transport though not as efficient paddling.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by JustinL
    I just started getting into it in the last couple years. It's quite serene on the lakes to just paddle around quietly. My wife and I bought our own boards this year and went with inflatable, which are supposedly tougher than fiberglass boards, and obviously much easier to transport though not as efficient paddling.
    Where do you like to go? Have you tried the rivers yet? I figured the inflatables weren't as good as the solid boards. Will have to look into them.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

We've only been paddling on vacation, so we've rented in Penticton and in Hawaii. I'll try to find some local lakes south of Edmonton like Pigeon and Wizard to try them out soon. Last time we rented one inflatable and one solid. The inflatables get really stiff at the pressures you run in them so they don't feel floppy at all. At the performance level my wife and I are looking for (not racing, just paddling for exercise and fun) the benefit of the solid boards didn't make sense for the trade-offs. Read a few articles before you decide, but for me inflatable made way more sense.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ya we rented a pair of inflatables for Nelson last year, and I'm willing to bet that unless you had previous experience, you'd have zero idea if they were inflatable or not when fully inflated. They're crazy hard.

A ton of fun, great exercise.. Have seen lots on the Bow in the summer

My Ride
    06 F-150

Yea I definetly don't need anything catered to the pro. Considering how often I'll get to use it I just want something to get out there. Wouldn't mind hitting some waves in the ocean with it as well but trips to the coast will be few and far between until I manage to move back to Nova Scotia.

Time to start shopping around it seems.

Oh forgot to ask. Do you fall off a lot? Should I be expecting to get wet each and every time out? Likely need a wet suit for the colder mountain lakes I guess??

I don't usually fall. But I have surfed and stuff.

Its really not that hard once you get used to it.

My Ride
    Lariat

some of the lakes like two jack on johnston in banff and the quarry and the reservoir by the canmore nordic centre are awesome and great for SUPing
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Really depends on your balance. I didn't fall once without meaning to or doing something dumb. My brother in law could hardly stay on the thing for a couple minutes

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

It's a nice alternative to kayaking... its not even close to surfing though, if you want to surf in Alberta checkout river surfing, we have had a standing wave on the bow by the 10th st bridge since the floods

My Ride
    2005 F350

the wife wants an inflatable one but man, they are expensive! dunno if I could justify buying one for the 2-3 times we'll use it in the summer.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

It's like taking all the fun parts of surfing out of the equation and adding back in only the boring parts. No clue why it's so popular... Lot's of people doing it on the lakes out in Canmore though. Personally I can't imagine doing something so boring.

My Ride
    V8s

I know the guy who is a dealer for some Canadian made inflatable SUPs (his company is in AB). If anyone wants a hook up, I may be able to help out, shoot me a pm.

(mods feel free to edit or delete this post if it violates forum rules)

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    It's like taking all the fun parts of surfing out of the equation and adding back in only the boring parts. No clue why it's so popular... Lot's of people doing it on the lakes out in Canmore though. Personally I can't imagine doing something so boring.
    And on an actual surf break they are like the scooter kids in a skatepark... So frustrating when they just paddle up and steal your wave

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    its more of a relaxation thing, mixed with a little bit of exercise. not everything people do will always be adrenaline-filled sports.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Originally posted by ercchry

And on an actual surf break they are like the scooter kids in a skatepark... So frustrating when they just paddle up and steal your wave
    Word...

The fun parts riding waves not paddling about. Standing up while paddling is just hilariously impractical on bigger waves since you need to dive under. Then again it's really a different sport and most people are not riding waves but gently paddling themselves about still water or doing yoga on their boards.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

It's a nice alternative to kayaking... its not even close to surfing though, if you want to surf in Alberta checkout river surfing, we have had a standing wave on the bow by the 10th st bridge since the floods
    That's like saying cross country skiing is a good alternative to snow shoeing, but it's not even close to snow boarding. I get what your saying, but generally the activities are so different that they almost don't cross each other.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Think I seen some people doing this last weekend actually. Is it on the downtown side a bit east of the bridge??

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I did SUP last year on a quiet, warm evening on Glenmore Lake, right at sunset. The lake was as warm as bathwater and it was stunning to be out there.

The ACTUAL Glenmore Lake bylaws (not just the city's website) dont forbid it explicitly but dont technically allow it either.

11.1 Notwithstanding Section 11.0, the following Boats may be placed and used on the waters of
    Glenmore Reservoir:

(c) a canoe, kayak, dinghy, punt, sailboat or rowing scull used by a person for short
    term, occasional, casual recreational purposes only.

Any such canoe, kayak, dinghy, punt, sailboat or rowing scull so used shall not be inflatable and shall not be powered by a motor of any sort.
    I was around (practicing myself) with a group of kayakers practicing rolling over by one of the docks and so they were busy swimming around the lake most of the night while trying to get back in/up - so Im not sure what the big deal is regarding SUP.

TECHNICALLY, you can get a hybrid SUP (kayak+sup) and then you'd be ok.

OR

You can get a "punt" boat as per the bylaw:

Last edited by revelations; 05-13-2016 at 01:03 PM.