Quantcast
Carbon tax to double. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon tax to double.

Default Carbon tax to double.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle25109876/

From $15 per ton to $30 per ton by 2017.

Great balls of fire, what are they trying to do? This could severely curtail electrical generation growth. Greedy government, I bet they are going to tax your garden soil next.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Better outlaw nickel then because it's one of the dirtiest common metals to refine in terms of the carbon emissions produced during it's manufacturing/refining process.
    Will fuck off, again.

I'm all for halving carbon tax, that is - if it wasn't against the will of the Pope.

Ain't noboby going to be drilling through 10,000 foot deep compressed nickel ore, transporting it to the surface, and then refining it at 1455 °C - Using solar panels. I'd bet all the solar panels in Canada could make one stainless steel Delorean.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Silverado

Corporate income tax, carbon tax, and soon new royalties.

The big trifecta of fuck you to oil producers in alberta.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I don't remember this carbon tax being part of their policy? Anybody have their campaign promises they ran on?

Because if they didn't say anything about the carbon tax, I am pissed. This seems as stated, a big fuck you. At first it appeared the NDP was going to be reasonable, but they already are starting to go to far IMO.

Starting to regret my choice, I can be a big enough man to admit it. If Albertans weren't already a lock for voting conservative this federal election, the results of the NDP being voted in so far will probably push everyone to do so that we aren't getting fucked on both ends.

*sigh* You try to do the right thing and it bites you in the ass. Should of voted wildrose.

Edit-
    I should clarify that by "carbon tax" I mean the increase. I understand there was already a carbon tax in Alberta so to speak.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 06-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This is the only piece that talked about carbon in their platform:

We will manage provincial capital projects within the framework of the current Government of Alberta capital envelope, reallocating resources to priorities like hospital maintenance and school construction. We will also get better value for capital investments, for example by reallocating funding from the Prentice government’s discredited carbon capture project to higher- priority projects, including transit, health care and education. Our party will have more to say about health
    care capital projects and priorities over the course of this campaign.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Is there grounds to have riots and physically remove them from office?

Not saying we are there yet, but of all the provinces, it seems like a viable option for Albertans if necessary

My Ride
    V8s

Just came in here to say I thought long and hard about who to vote for, and obviously didn't pick the NDP. Hopefully people will be a little more rational next time instead of voting out of spite.

The problem is most people are too stupid to realize the effects of what this does to Alberta along with various other changes happening. We are turning into anti-business communists. NDP would love if public sector workers were all millionaires it seems. This will further drive investment and the leaders in business out of province.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Type_S1
    The problem is most people are too stupid to realize the effects of what this does to Alberta along with various other changes happening. We are turning into anti-business communists. NDP would love if public sector workers were all millionaires it seems. This will further drive investment and the leaders in business out of province.
    The NDP said a small increase in corporate tax and a royalty review. Reasonable things IMO. Doubling the cost of the carbon tax in two years while also doing those things?

Then it becomes unreasonable If the politicians lied, how would the electorate know?

And finally, I can't wait for my millions to start rolling in!

Maybe a basic understanding of the NDPs history would have helped you make an educated decision instead of one based on emotion.

The next 4 years in Alberta are going to be hell for the private community.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Type_S1
    Maybe a basic understanding of the NDPs history would have helped you make an educated decision instead of one based on emotion.

The next 4 years in Alberta are going to be hell for the private community.
    What NDPs history? In Alberta? There was no history.

One thing is for certain, the conservatives couldn't be allowed to continue as they were.

Edit-
    Everyone I've talked to didn't want a NDP majority, myself included. Unfortunately, its tough to vote to gain a minority vs majority.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 06-28-2015 at 11:19 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    The NDP said a small increase in corporate tax and a royalty review. Reasonable things IMO. Doubling the cost of the carbon tax in two years while also doing those things?
    The platform was the minimum they were going to do. That's what voters were ok with voting them in. As soon as they were called for the win, they deleted the whole platform documents off their website in case the uninformed tried to go back to compare notes. Good thing I still have a copy lol.

The Election Day thread is a good hindsight read.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    G6

If you voted NDP and are surprised by anything they've done to date, then you really need to be re-educated as to how to READ. They're following through on their election promises...

Having said that, as someone who works in O&G, I'm not opposed to this carbon tax increase. There's been talk for years about carbon capture and using CO2 to enhance oil recovery. However, the government policy has been so lax that there's never been enough profit motive to pursue it heavily.

This increase could equal less CO2 emissions, and better enhanced oil recovery. However, I think the only way this works is if government is willing to partially invest in CO2 pipelines (grants and tax credits to companies like TCPL), which I think they are too short sighted for.

My Ride
    Nothing

When do i get to start collecting my mincome????
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

The NDP said a small increase in corporate tax
    Would you call a 20% increase in your tax a small increase?
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by mikestypes

Would you call a 20% increase in your tax a small increase?
    A 20% increase on net profits? Yes.

A 20% increase on my personal income? No.

Its not an apples and apples comparison. The tax increase does not apply to anything except profits, and while a large percentage increase, its a small outright $$ increase.

So the actual running of the company is unaffected, just how large of a bonus the ceo gets :p (I'm kidding, its more complicated then that of course).

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Feruk
    If you voted NDP and are surprised by anything they've done to date, then you really need to be re-educated as to how to READ. They're following through on their election promises...

No they aren't you twat. Quit being a dickhead. Rage even posted their original policies.

So yes, I AM surprised at them wanting to raise the carbon tax asap along with the other increases all stacked together.

I would NOT have been surprised to have seen things like this phased in over the next 4 to 8 years slowly. They are shooting themselves in the feet by doing it to quickly. Like I said, one situation, which I voted for was reasonable. This situation, in my opinion, is not.

My Ride
    Silverado

Wait to see how much the raise revenue for the province but crate record setting deficits.

Originally posted by Feruk

This shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone with common sense. The platform may not have said "we want to ramp up taxes" in black and white but it was obvious that their goals couldn't be achieved without doing so.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast