Quantcast
Distracted Driving ticket via phone call? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Distracted Driving ticket via phone call?

My Ride
    Eclipse

Default Distracted Driving ticket via phone call?

Hey so my buddy just messaged me and said he got a phone call earlier today from a police officer and the lady said that they got a complaint from a driver saying he was talking on the phone while driving..

She had told him the ticket will be $300 (Ticket is $172 i think for Distracted driving) and that it will be mailed to him.

He asked how he can get a ticket if they have no evidence and they girl said that people don't like about things like this.

We thought this was a prank call so we have called the phone number back and it is in fact a constables number.

Before you flame me, no this was not me I told him I'll ask on Beyond if this is actually possible to give a ticket like this.

So if this ticket comes in the mail for him, will he have 2 pay it or just go fight it in court?

This seems pretty stupid to me that someone could just go around calling the Police an having them give out distracted driving tickets to everyone...

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

1) say he hasn't been driving all day
    2) there is no proof, only second hand account.

Fight it if it comes, very easy win.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Yah agreed, just the time he will have to talk 2 go 2 court for the day.

He did say there is no evidence and the officer told him people don't lie about things like this, he brought up O.J Simpson and how there was no evidence on him

I just don't understand how/why Police would try to give a ticket for something like this without any evidence..

I'm curious if he did go to court would the witness have to attend as well? I sure as hell would go to court just so the witness has to go as well just to be a prick.. I've never really got a speeding ticket and the one i got once I just paid points, but I think the police officer has 2 show up? Correct?
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Back in 1980something I got a ticket in the mail from the RCMP. Guy called in that I ran a stop sign, and cops just issued the ticket in the mail.
    I actually did run the stop sign (slid through it on ice) but was nowhere near the guy who called it in.
    No way was I gonna accept a ticket based on a phone call!

Went to court, prosecutor won my case for me, asked the cop for details, my license plate, name or number of the caller, cop had nothing. All I got to say was "not guilty", and "thank you, your honour"

tldr:
    Easy win in court.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Wow that's BS. I can't stand distracted drivers, but they can't give a ticket like that...

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

How did they have his phone number?

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by The_Penguin
    Back in 1980something I got a ticket in the mail from the RCMP. Guy called in that I ran a stop sign, and cops just issued the ticket in the mail.
    I actually did run the stop sign (slid through it on ice) but was nowhere near the guy who called it in.
    No way was I gonna accept a ticket based on a phone call!

Went to court, prosecutor won my case for me, asked the cop for details, my license plate, name or number of the caller, cop had nothing. All I got to say was "not guilty", and "thank you, your honour"

tldr:
    Easy win in court.
    Yah, this is how i'd see it happening, pretty BS ticket though as well...

Originally posted by NoPulp
    Wow that's BS. I can't stand distracted drivers, but they can't give a ticket like that...
    Yah I would be telling him 2 suck it out and pay the ticket if a police officer busted him, but having a witness call it in i felt like that's complete BS...

Where is the line? I know you can call in for Drunk drivers but how do they go about giving you a ticket for that as well...

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by btimbit
    How did they have his phone number?
    when you register your vehicle they ask you for it.

as for the ticket. just go in, say "nope wasn't me" and its done.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I'm very positive I've never been asked for my phone number at a registry.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's a huge waste of time. I've gotten them before, just paid them, not worth fighting. It's a registered owners ticket that they send you. Last year I got a few complaints and warnings from CPS because someone wasn't happy that I accelerated fast to the flow of traffic.

I swapped out all my custom plates to the support the troops plates and the complaints stopped. I guess people feel guilty calling you in when you're supporting the troops. Or they think I'm old as fuck, which I am haha.

If it's worth your time to fight it, just get it to trial. The witness (the person that called it in) will never show up. If they do, dress gangsta and stare them down when they show up.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I have a friend who helped the police issue one of these. He was told that if the person takes it to court they would need to attend to defend the ticket as the witness. I assume if this other person shows up you may have trouble fighting it.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by rage2

I swapped out all my custom plates to the support the troops plates and the complaints stopped. I guess people feel guilty calling you in when you're supporting the troops. Or they think I'm old as fuck, which I am haha.

thats amazing

Originally posted by rage2
    I considered this but I love me custom plate .
    Last edited by know1edge; 12-19-2018 at 01:52 PM.

My Ride
    jdm b18c

Got a ticket for careless driving back in 2005, someone called saying I was recklessly driving. Next day cops came to my house, gave me 500 something dollar ticket and I believe 7 demerits. I called up Nadeau and associate paid him 40 bucks and he fought of the ticket, dropped the ticket and demerits they had no proof and i didn't miss a day of work, do not pay it just pay the traffic guys to fight it for you. Easy win
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    none

Originally posted by top_speed
    Got a ticket for careless driving back in 2005, someone called saying I was recklessly driving. Next day cops came to my house, gave me 500 something dollar ticket and I believe 7 demerits. I called up Nadeau and associate paid him 40 bucks and he fought of the ticket, dropped the ticket and demerits they had no proof and i didn't miss a day of work, do not pay it just pay the traffic guys to fight it for you. Easy win
    If the cops came to my house. I wouldn't even answer the door. If they called me, I would just hang up the phone. Sad, but true.

I had one call me. He identified himself a constable whatever, and try to peddle some tickets for supporting kids hockey or something. ended up just hanging up on him too, he was a pure jerk on the phone when I tried to tell him I'm not interested.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by macman64
    I have a friend who helped the police issue one of these. He was told that if the person takes it to court they would need to attend to defend the ticket as the witness. I assume if this other person shows up you may have trouble fighting it.
    Even with a witness it would be very easy to get this tossed. Get the cop on the stand, ask when and where the incident occurred, presence of any glare that could impair their view, which way you were driving when they observed you, which side of your vehicle they were on and how they knew there was a phone in your hand as opposed to an iPod/ drink etc... Basically establish the cop never even say you.

Then haul the witness up there. Get them to describe all the same things, ask them to describe make and model of your vehicle and license plate.

Easy to toss and make the cop and the "witness" look like fools.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Originally posted by JudasJimmy

If the cops came to my house. I wouldn't even answer the door. If they called me, I would just hang up the phone. Sad, but true.

I had one call me. He identified himself a constable whatever, and try to peddle some tickets for supporting kids hockey or something. ended up just hanging up on him too, he was a pure jerk on the phone when I tried to tell him I'm not interested.
    Theres is a current phone scam ongoing for rodeo tickets. Callers are identifying themselves as police. CPS Twitter feed has more details. CPS members cannot use their position to sell items.

And yup, with regards to the tickets. Its purely a courtesy call to say they are on the way. You will get them in the mail regardless.

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
    And yup, with regards to the tickets. Its purely a courtesy call to say they are on the way. You will get them in the mail regardless.
    Just to be clear, not that I would do this, but let's say I have an asshole neighbour. I can call up CPS make up some bullshit story about how they were driving distracted or recklessly and CPS will show up at their house with a ticket? My neighbour will be forced to pay the ticket or endure the frustration/cost of fighting it in court, even if I don't show up as a witness? Nothing about this seems flawed
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Just to be clear, not that I would do this, but let's say I have an asshole neighbour. I can call up CPS make up some bullshit story about how they were driving distracted or recklessly and CPS will show up at their house with a ticket? My neighbour will be forced to pay the ticket or endure the frustration/cost of fighting it in court, even if I don't show up as a witness? Nothing about this seems flawed
    Technically yes. But you would also be required for court and also bear in mind your neighbour will be told who made the complaint. We do not issue tickets annonomously.

Furthermore, if you are taking the time up of the police to conduct an investigation for a purely vexacious or malicious reason, you will be charged criminally for mischief.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

The fines have increased for distracted driving. They are up to $250 + victim assistance and now hold 3 demerit points.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast