Quantcast
Photo Radar Vans & SUV's - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Photo Radar Vans & SUV's

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Default Photo Radar Vans & SUV's

For the last few years when the mobile photo radar units were set up in the Grand Caravans, that older gen Ford Explorer, the F150's etc. the radar detector would always pick up on them before I got to/passed them. I can't remember if it was K or X band but I distinctly remember being alerted. However recently I've spotted a black Ford Explorer (newer gen) on Elbow, Macleod and Deerfoot and my detector is not picking anything up (both in the same direction and opposite direction). Are these things still radar based? K, Ka, X Band? Instant on? Anyone else have the same issue?

For the most part they are easy to spot but the one time I saw him on elbow he did a great job of blending in with other parked cars.

Ka for me for the photo radar. Newer Explorer in dark blue or black.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    Ka for me for the photo radar. Newer Explorer in dark blue or black.
    From how far back? Strong signal? What detector?

The Explorers stand out like a sore thumb, even if they are parked with other cars. They have some trucks too but they seem to be super rare, at least along my routes. Every one of them I have seen so far (they have them out all the time in the same spots around town) has 2 big flash boxes on the roof. You can pick them out long before you ever will pass one. They have at least a maroon one, dark/royal blue one, a white one, and a black one. Probably more, but just look for the flash boxes. Or just look for newer Explorers parked on the side of the road, and that should be enough to avoid them 99% of the time. You just need to slow right down before you pass the Explorer and you should be fine.

I can sometimes get them when they are in front - but its hard because the radar is shooting away from me. I can get them easily when I'm on the other side of the road coming towards them. I have a Passport 9500i.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The Explorers stand out like a sore thumb, even if they are parked with other cars. They have some trucks too but they seem to be super rare, at least along my routes. Every one of them I have seen so far (they have them out all the time in the same spots around town) has 2 big flash boxes on the roof. You can pick them out long before you ever will pass one. They have at least a maroon one, dark/royal blue one, a white one, and a black one. Probably more, but just look for the flash boxes. Or just look for newer Explorers parked on the side of the road, and that should be enough to avoid them 99% of the time. You just need to slow right down before you pass the Explorer and you should be fine.
    Yes they are easy to spot for the most part like I said but that's not what I'm asking.

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    I can sometimes get them when they are in front - but its hard because the radar is shooting away from me. I can get them easily when I'm on the other side of the road coming towards them. I have a Passport 9500i.
    Yah I have the same one and I've driven past the black explorer both in the same direction and in the opposite direction on a few separate occasions over the last few weeks and nothing

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I dont have a detector anymore but I recall the signal would be weak or non-existent (until passing) if the unit was setup in an open area with no reflecting action from objects in front. (eg. vehicles, large sturctures, )

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

^ Yah but the strange thing is that I'm not getting anything with this particular photo radar unit even when passing.

These things are insanely dangerous on Deerfoot. Everyone knows they are there and SLAM on their brakes to below the speed limit, I can't count the amount of times I have been nearly rear ended due to the idiot in front of me slamming on his/her brakes, and the idiot behind me not paying attention to whats in front of them.

Originally posted by vengie
    These things are insanely dangerous on Deerfoot. Everyone knows they are there and SLAM on their brakes to below the speed limit, I can't count the amount of times I have been nearly rear ended due to the idiot in front of me slamming on his/her brakes, and the idiot behind me not paying attention to whats in front of them.
    Exact same thing happens with speed on green cameras, and red light cameras that people think is/might be a speed on green camera. I have personally witnessed 2 rear-enders so far because of this, and I don't drive much. You can also notice the flow of traffic slow down before the camera intersection, and then speed up again right after - if there is any traffic at all, this slows things down significantly with the ripple effect.

Safety has never been the concern though, or they wouldn't be there for those exact reasons. Strictly revenue generators. People slamming on brakes unexpectedly is far, far, more dangerous than people going with the flow of traffic 10-20 above the limit on roads with artificially low speed limits.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-06-2015 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    G37X

I've seen a newer dark blue/black green? Explorer on Richmond Road just before you hit Western Pride Car Wash. It's extremely obvious and you'd have to have no sense of perception or be flying to not see it. I usually slow right down beside where he hides honk & wave!

My Ride

Check your settings then, sometimes it (Ka) can get disabled. What model?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

IIRC photo radar vans are K band.

passing by with no detection might simply mean the Cam is not on. I've always picked them up. I have a V1.

My Ride
    TwoTurbos

Just an FYI to those that travel Eastbound on Glenmore.. there has been a photo radar unit hiding in between two sets of electronic signage warning of the construction ahead. Right around the exit ramp to Elbow/Macleod.

I saw him sitting there 3 or 4 times this past week.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by 94boosted

Yes they are easy to spot for the most part like I said but that's not what I'm asking.

Yah I have the same one and I've driven past the black explorer both in the same direction and in the opposite direction on a few separate occasions over the last few weeks and nothing
    Yes I can spot them too normally however I thought it was me but my 9500ix never goes off k or ka when driving by them any direction?!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Originally posted by nixon45
    Just an FYI to those that travel Eastbound on Glenmore.. there has been a photo radar unit hiding in between two sets of electronic signage warning of the construction ahead. Right around the exit ramp to Elbow/Macleod.

I saw him sitting there 3 or 4 times this past week.
    You cant really do more than 30kph there because of the MASSIVE humps.

My Ride
    TwoTurbos

Originally posted by revelations

You cant really do more than 30kph there because of the MASSIVE humps.
    True that!

But they are sitting between the Elbow Drive and 5th Street overpass, so it is well before the construction and speed limit reduction.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 12:35 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    I've seen a newer dark blue/black green? Explorer on Richmond Road just before you hit Western Pride Car Wash. It's extremely obvious and you'd have to have no sense of perception or be flying to not see it. I usually slow right down beside where he hides honk & wave!
    That guy is ALWAYS there or will be parked along 37th somewhere.

The strangest I've seen now is the photo radar parked outside Wildflower Arts Center on Spruce Cliff. Its a double zone with park and then school zone and many people speed in that area.

I've seen an ugly lime green metallic explorer doing radar quite a few times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast