Quantcast
Another noise snare thread... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another noise snare thread...

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Another noise snare thread...

This isn't totally about noise bylaws in Calgary or Edmonton, more of myself doing a little research on what to expect.

In 2013, Red Deer elected a new mayor. A mayor who has kept her platform available on the internet for all to see since her victory.

There is a weekly car show and shine that I frequent coming up on Thursday night. Today, I looked at a Facebook post from Red Deer City Hall saying that at this show and shine, there will be RCMP with decibel readers and anyone who wants to have their machines tested can have it done.

It's a little concerning. In my years of going to this event, I have saw numerous police there, not one was interested in testing decibels. Also, I have never heard of this type of test taking place at this event before.

For years and years, it seemed to me that Red Deer never enforced any vehicle noise bylaws. I don't know a single person from the area that has ever been pulled over and tested for vehicle noise.

Getting back to the mayor and her platform, she seems interested in pursuing more enforcement and additional noise provisions. She's looking at what Calgary and Edmonton have done and building on that. She mentions "noise snare" technology. To the best of my knowledge, there is no noise snare equipment in use in Red Deer currently.

http://www.veerforreddeer.ca/follow-...vehicle-noise/

Currently in Red Deer, there are bylaws against noise but the bylaw seems vague. In that Facebook post today it says "Installing aftermarket components to your vehicle may cause it to be in violation of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act or The City of Red Deer Community Standards Bylaw."

Here is the bylaw, but makes no mention of a specific limit. Couldn't find anything within the TSA.

Part 1 - Noise
    http://www.reddeer.ca/media/reddeerc...ards-Bylaw.pdf

You guys have been around noise snare equipment for a while now in Calgary, correct? Calgary turned their bylaw into a fiasco? Both Edmonton and Calgary seem to have their limits at 96db(A). Is this low, high? Has enforcement been a gongshow?

I'm just worried that she's heading down the wrong path. Edmonton picks on motorcycle riders. And Calgary came up with a vague bylaw.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    EG6

I have heard that they put mics on a few of the red light cameras so if you cheese it through a yellow they can double hit you. But I have no proof of this. At distinctive we would get a reading on every car we did a muffler swap on, some of the Ferrari hit 108-115db and the owners just laugh. I have never been pulled over for noise in my rice rocket but I also drive like a bitch 98% of the time.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds like the RCMP officers at the meets are just trying to provide a service, they arent going out there to ticket people but more to spread awareness. I would personally find it interesting to know what my car would pull stock for noise on cold startup or WOT. And my car isnt loud.

Lets face it though alot of people install stupid cat back exhausts without mufflers etc. that sound horrible and they do it 90% to show off and be dinks to others. Often times the performance gains are minimal at best. Motorcyclists are as guilty as this as any one else is.

Here is the other side of the coin, even many cars with loud installed exhausts arent really that loud and arent breaking any bylaws unless their drivers are driving like idiots. In most of these cases their actions would warrant a stunting ticket anyways and the noise violation is icing on the cake to teach people a lesson.

There are obviously exceptions to every rule with lots of cars that will break the limit stock etc etc. and i don't agree with additional enforcement but maybe the mayor is doing this because people have been abusing the system to this point already? The last time i was in the city of red deer there were stupid loud cars ripping around at WOT disturbing the peace every 5-10 minutes. It was more than irritating imo.

Anyways thats my thoughts on this and i dont want this to turn into another debate like Toxics old AMG thread

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Another noise snare thread...

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    You guys have been around noise snare equipment for a while now in Calgary, correct? Calgary turned their bylaw into a fiasco? Both Edmonton and Calgary seem to have their limits at 96db(A). Is this low, high? Has enforcement been a gongshow?
    The problem with the Calgary bylaw is not the limit itself, it's the lack of distance defined in the bylaw for measurements. You can hit 96db by sticking a microphone inside a Prius exhaust, and the bylaw allows that because there is no definition of distance whatsoever. In fact, the bylaw specifically states "at any point of reception". Total disregard of how sound measurements work. No joke.

Fun reads from a few years back, too bad the city removed all our document links.

http://www.beyond.ca/calgary-noise-s...wed/15388.html

http://www.beyond.ca/calgarys-excess...ion/15447.html
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Thanks for the info and opinions.

killramos, you're correct. The decibel reader will only be there so drivers/riders can understand just how quiet/loud their vehicles are. No tickets will be issued.

But doesn't this kind of seem like a small stepping stone towards enforcement and more rules? We start out with this right now, and in a years time, see noise snare equipment on the streets?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Didn't feel like starting another thread. This guy complains about noisy basketball court during the day behind his house. I wouldn't like it at night when I'm in bed but during the day?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2097704/ca...ketball-court/

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially in Red Deer.

Edmonton is still super lenient with noise tickets. The police give you that ticket if you are driving like a retard, but you haven't specifically broken any rules. Kind of goes hand in hand with tint tickets.

Also, there are so many variables that affect sound measurements that I find it difficult to imagine having a ticket stand up in court.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    Thanks for the info and opinions.

killramos, you're correct. The decibel reader will only be there so drivers/riders can understand just how quiet/loud their vehicles are. No tickets will be issued.

But doesn't this kind of seem like a small stepping stone towards enforcement and more rules? We start out with this right now, and in a years time, see noise snare equipment on the streets?
    The wording on this link is interesting:

http://www.reddeer.ca/whats-happenin...our-noise.html

"There will be an amnesty period given to those whose vehicles are seen as being in violation of existing noise regulations."

With such a vague bylaw I'm not sure how they'd determine which vehicles are in violation, and "amnesty period" seems to suggest the possibility of a warning, with their lenience having an expiry date.

Originally posted by lilmira
    Didn't feel like starting another thread. This guy complains about noisy basketball court during the day behind his house. I wouldn't like it at night when I'm in bed but during the day?

I lived across the street from a double court. It is loud. Thankfully winter came and they all pissed off somewhere.

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by lilmira

That would piss me the fvck off too.

i remember long time ago one of my neighbors set up a basketball hoop in their driveway and played for 4-5hrs/day. After hearing the ball go BOUNCE OUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE OUNCE BOUNCE every second for hours on end, day after day, is fvcking annoying as piss.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    99 Blazer

When I was like 7 I would throw a ball against a neighbours brick wall for hours practising my Roberto alomar styles, they let it go months until they asked me to stop. Knowing what I know now, I'm surprised I wasnt abducted and tortured lol.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Default Re: Re: Another noise snare thread...

Originally posted by rage2
    [B]
    The problem with the Calgary bylaw is not the limit itself, it's the lack of distance defined in the bylaw for measurements. You can hit 96db by sticking a microphone inside a Prius exhaust, and the bylaw allows that because there is no definition of distance whatsoever. In fact, the bylaw specifically states "at any point of reception". Total disregard of how sound measurements work. No joke.
    Will that not work in your favour if you go in to argue it?

What reasonable JP would allow a noise ticket to be written if they stick it right next to the tips?

Bylaw definition probably wouldn't help reduce the chance of getting the ticket if they really wanted to enforce it, but if you can't nip the problem in the bud at least you still have a fighting chance down the line.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

After watching a quick clip on Youtube where a guy measured the decibels on a stock Honda Fury... I'm a little concerned. Lol
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

It's too bad that they couldn't properly setup this bylaw and start enforcing it ASAP. Nothing wrong with a nice vehicle being a louder than average but some groups are intentionally obnoxious and deserve the fines.

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    It's too bad that they couldn't properly setup this bylaw and start enforcing it ASAP. Nothing wrong with a nice vehicle being a louder than average but some groups are intentionally obnoxious and deserve the fines.
    that's discrimination. if a shit box civic can't be 140decibels, neither should an aventador.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 12:42 PM.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    It is funny if you pay attention; some neighborhoods are all basketball hoops, while others are trampolines.
    haha... Varsity for the trampolines.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Looks like I might be racking up the fines next year. Loud stereo of course....

https://reddeer.ca/whats-happening/n...-concerns.html
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

They need to run a pilot on 17th ave.

Nobody wants to hear your shit on 17th. It's painfully obvious how insecurities manifest themselves in attention seeking behavior. Most of these dudes are frantically looking around to see if anyone is noticing the noise they're producing. Just fuck off!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by born2workoncars View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They need to run a pilot on 17th ave.

Nobody wants to hear your shit on 17th. It's painfully obvious how insecurities manifest themselves in attention seeking behavior. Most of these dudes are frantically looking around to see if anyone is noticing the noise they're producing. Just fuck off!
    The problem is that it will catch stock lambos and ferraris, along with the fart can civics there.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast