Quantcast
Deciding between Koodo, Fido and Virgin Mobile. Same prices/plans mostly - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Deciding between Koodo, Fido and Virgin Mobile. Same prices/plans mostly

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Man I don't know how you guys can be okay with paying almost $100 a month on a phone bill. I was furious when I went from $54 to $59 It makes no sense for me to even change plans or providers because I'm on a grandfathered 6G data plan. I average about the 400MB mark each month (and that's with 'excessive' usage) but I'm keeping it just based off principle haha

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Needed it for working out of town. But now I'll be living in Deadmonton so for personal reasons, and I'm too stubborn to change my number. I've had it since I was 16, I'll probably die with it Some people are heavy users. Like Eride who's addicted to Instagram. 6gb barely covers that
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Man I don't know how you guys can be okay with paying almost $100 a month on a phone bill. I was furious when I went from $54 to $59 It makes no sense for me to even change plans or providers because I'm on a grandfathered 6G data plan. I average about the 400MB mark each month (and that's with 'excessive' usage) but I'm keeping it just based off principle haha
    Same here, I have 2GB and I have never once hit my limit. I am pretty liberal with my usage and the only thing I don't do a lot of is HD video streaming or constant audio streaming on LTE. If I want to do that, 9/10 times there is WiFi around anyway. I pay $57/mo with unlimited everything (except data) Canada wide. I'm always shocked that people are cool with paying anywhere near $100/mo for a phone plan outside of extreme cases. If the going rate was $100, then whatever I'd pay it, but it's so easy to pay half that so why not.

I'm a heavy user. Gone over 6GB a once or twice lol

My Ride
    F430, M3, 911

Originally posted by Joe-G
    Koodo. $45 for 5GB + unlimited talk/text.
    Koodo if you know how to get it.
    send me details

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Originally posted by Redlyne_jr

send me details
    Code trap listed how to do it in a post above

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by msommers
    No I'm grandfathered into a month-to-month plan after my contract was done.

UL nation calling
    UL text
    ID, VM3 etc
    6gb data

$90/month total
    I'm getting the same for $10 less...just called retentions and asked to have my 10gb plan reduced to save money. They offered the above as a "bring your own device" plan and it was about $80. Might be worth looking into.

Although I'm tempted to try the koodo idea.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Is there any special promo plans for rogers/bell/virgin? Their website shows pretty shitty plans.

I'm on telus right now but want to shift to one of the other mentioned ones because they support more network LTE bands.

I have a good plan on telus though, 6gb data + 300 mins + unlimited evening weekends for 65$/month.

lol the other companies offer a similar plan for around 90$/month (but with 5 gb data)

Originally posted by Hero_X
    Is there any special promo plans for rogers/bell/virgin? Their website shows pretty shitty plans.

I'm on telus right now but want to shift to one of the other mentioned ones because they support more network LTE bands.

I have a good plan on telus though, 6gb data + 300 mins + unlimited evening weekends for 65$/month.

lol the other companies offer a similar plan for around 90$/month (but with 5 gb data)
    i would stick with telus, unless you want to pay more for pretty much the same service.

What LTE bands do the other providers have? Telus/Bell are faster compared to Rogers from my personal experience

According to wikipedia, Bell has the most LTE bands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Telus only has one (1700).

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 10:43 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    '14 Subaru Impreza

Bumping this up to see if anybody has any recent experiences, specifically relating to getting this $48 SK/MB Koodo plan.

I'm currently with Telus, have been off of a contract for a while and I'm paying $67/month taxes in. Getting 200 mins, unlimited texts and 1 gig of data (with the usual crap like voicemail, caller ID, etc...). I don't need 5 gigs of data, nor do I need unlimited calling, but what I do like is saving $17/month by going with Koodo.

The catch is, I also wouldn't mind a new phone. I have an iPhone 4S that's still in great shape, but it's just full and starting to slow down. From what I've heard, it's a bit more of a hassle to get a new phone...basically you can't do it through a Koodo store (as they'll make you change your plan back to an AB plan) and Best Buy can't do it either...which is typically my go to place for phones since they actually have sales. Buying a phone outright is just so friggin expensive.

Anyways, looking for any advice from anybody who has done this recently, or an update from codetrap to ensure everything is still running smoothly. If anybody has had any luck purchasing a new phone on a tab, while using the SK/MB plan, let us know how you did it!

There's a really helpful website that I found with detailed instructions on how to do this, if anybody else is interested in looking into it: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...here-in-Canada

Check PM

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

You pay for the entire phone either way. All at once or spaced out through the contract.

If you have a good plan just buy a phone outright.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by J.M.
    I'm a heavy user. Gone over 6GB a once or twice lol
    My wife and I have pooled 6GB plans so a total of 12GB and I've almost broken over the 12GB on my own.
    -U

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo...right-1880841/

I've been on the $48 plan for almost 2 weeks now. Haven't decided what phone I want yet. I'll let you know how it goes. Seems like it's best to go to a Koodo kiosk or The Mobile Shop at Superstore.

My Ride
    Ram

bump. anyone try this recently and have success?

My Ride
    12 camaro ss ,91 aristo , 12 ram

Lots of people charging 60 bucks to do it for you and giving 50 in bill credits. Just got mine done

My Ride
    Ram

did you just go to the kiosk?

My Ride
    This and that.

Are there any store promotions going on if you upgrade you Fido phone? I love my plan and don't want to change that. But instead of buying a phone outright this time wanted to use my contract to upgrade to get a subsidized price. I don't mind the contract extension as I am going to be staying with Fido anyway.

I can do it directly with Fido but if any retailers have any freebies or something they are adding on top or discounting for upgrades (not new lines), I'd like to do that.

Thanks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast