Quantcast
Deciding between Koodo, Fido and Virgin Mobile. Same prices/plans mostly - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Deciding between Koodo, Fido and Virgin Mobile. Same prices/plans mostly

Default Deciding between Koodo, Fido and Virgin Mobile. Same prices/plans mostly

Hey everyone! I have an old Wind plan that's $28 for unlimited data, text and call, but I really can't stand Wind's slower speeds as well as lack of coverage when I go hiking or camping, or when I go back home in Vancouver and barely have signal in some places in Richmond or Surrey. I appreciate their low prices, and they've been nice and friendly to me for the past few years, but I really need the faster speeds and more reliable coverage.

I was looking at the smaller sub-companies of the Big 3, and it seems like Koodo, Fido and Virgin Mobile have the same prices for the same plans (looking at $45 for 750mb data), except the companies are a bit different like Virgin has movie, starbucks and HnM deals which can come in handy.

They use the Big 3 towers, so coverage should be the same/similar to each other, so I guess the only difference is customer service and incentives/deals they give customers!

Anyone have any suggestions or recommend one company to another?

Thanks!

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Fido hands down. I have had a great experience with them. Service is decent too. I just did my 2nd two year "contract" (phone tab). They seemed to be the most cost effective. I also get 2 years free Spotify.

I was a previous Virgin customer, was a decent company until bell bought them. I never actually used the deals from Virgin, they're not great.

Kudu is meh from friends experiences.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 07-08-2015 at 04:22 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Koodo because of the SK/MB plan.

Another cell phone plan thread, could the mods just make an all encompassing thread and stickie it?
    Will fuck off, again.

+1 for Fido, been using them for close to 10 years now with zero issues. Fast and liberal customer service too. They also let you do hardware upgrades and keep your old contract, no matter how good it is. The coverage (Rogers) is as good as any. They even called me one day to ask if there was anything they could do for me, I said even cheaper service, and they applied a $100 credit to my account haha.

The GF's iPhone needed to be replaced for the 5th and last time so we went out looking in June, and I don't know about July, but the June plans sure sucked from just about every company. Hopefully they are better now.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-08-2015 at 04:30 PM.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Koodo. $45 for 5GB + unlimited talk/text.

Virgin = shitty customer service. Ask any Virgin subscriber.
    Bell = meh, was never really pleased with them.
    Fido/Rogers = For the same price, why pay for less coverage? (Have you tried Telus/Bell/Koodo coverage yet? Then you can't reasonably compare...)

Telus/Koodo = Best customer service so far, similar plans, good coverage.. Even better deal with Koodo if you know how to get it.
    Last edited by Joe-G; 07-08-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    335i

Koodo or Virgin because Telus and Bell networks are much better in Calgary from my experience than Rogers.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Originally posted by Joe-G

Virgin = shitty customer service. Ask any Virgin subscriber.
    Bell = meh, was never really pleased with them.
    Fido/Rogers = For the same price, why pay for less coverage? (Have you tried Telus/Bell/Koodo coverage yet? Then you can't reasonably compare...)

Telus/Koodo = Best customer service so far, similar plans, good coverage.. Even better deal with Koodo if you know how to get it.
    What are you talking about, "shitty customer service" on Virgin. I went with them two years ago, cause I couldn't take Wind's horrible coverage. I've got nothing but great service from Virgin, and every time I call, they tell me my plan is cheaper, or set me up with some incentive to stay. I don't ask for this stuff, it just comes up in the conversations. And my wife definitely uses the perks on Virgin as well.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Don't they all have to share access to their towers now?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 08:40 PM.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

In southern Alberta I always get equal or better coverage than my friends/family on telus. Not sure why everyone puts down fido/Rogers for coverage, I haven't experiences that.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Originally posted by Joe-G
    Damn how do you get the 5GB plan?

Anyways ugh, seems like I really can't go wrong with any single company here, might as well call them on the phone and see if someone can give me an incentive to go with them. Or pop into a mall and see who has the nicest reps :P

^^ If I can still sign up for that 5gb plan for $45, I'm considering cancelling my 6gb super plan with Rogers when my contract is up in November.

Originally posted by NoPulp
    In southern Alberta I always get equal or better coverage than my friends/family on telus. Not sure why everyone puts down fido/Rogers for coverage, I haven't experiences that.
    I have a Telus phone and a Fido phone. Reception is regularly better on Fido, judging by number of bars and download speeds. It's definitely something with highly varying individual experience though, and will depend on the areas of the city you frequent. For everyone saying Rogers is better there will be one saying Telus is better. Between the two I would just go for the best plan.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Telus/Bell is better is you frequent less populated areas.

Rogers is fine in the cities and highways. But there are quite a few dead spots in the city that has frustrated some of my friends. But the 700Mhz roll out should take them up to on par with Telus/Bell.

Roaming is so cheap now, coverage is less of an issue. Just pick the cheapest plan you can get your hands on.

That Koodoo plan is awesome if you can still get that.

I can't believe everyone is saying fido. He specifically mentioned frustrations with cell service while camping, going through the mountains, while hiking and coverage in bc.

Fido would be the worst option for rural coverage or anything going through the mountains. Fido uses Rogers network while Koodo and virgin use bells/Telus. Fido customer service is awesome but for your needs they shouldn't be considered.

Koodo and virgin are both non contract options so I don't think it matters who you choose as they use the same towers.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Doesnt Wind run off telus and bell? Does Wind have slower internet access even in city?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I would have gone with koodo if they had a tablet plan. Rogers Share Everything is a better deal for my 2 phones + tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by riander5
    Doesnt Wind run off telus and bell? Does Wind have slower internet access even in city?
    WIND is a distance 4th. Slow network, lack of towers, shitty range of AWS band. They run off Bell/Telus when roam.

It's fine as long as it's under $40 or you travel to US a lot, or you need unlimited US long distance.

Otherwise, Koodoo $45 plan is far superior if you can get it.

For those interested in getting the $48 SKMB unlimited 5GB plan, it is still possible to get (just did it on JULY 13/15), you just have to be creative in using the loopholes. I am in no way responsible for those who lose their number as a result of trying this method and the port failing.

SIM ONLY activation:

1. Sign up with Koodo and get a SK/MB number with the $48 plan (say you're moving there for work or school or some other BS that gets you the number). Provide them your current address since they will use it for the credit check (you do not need a SK/MB address), the plan is not tied to the address, but instead tied to the 306 area code.

2. Pop your new Koodo sim card into your phone, test calls/texts/data and make sure you can send/receive.

3. Create your self serve account online with your account number and postal code you provided.

4. Self-serve account: under Self-serve tab > phone services > change number > I want to bring a number

5. Here you need the account number of your previous carrier (do not tell them or contact them, line must be active and billing up to date for port to work), name, and address on the bill. Confirm all the information matches the next page to prevent any complications and having to call in to correct the port.

6. Submit the port request, wait about 15-20 mins, power cycle your phone, and you should get a text saying your port is now complete.

now you have a 403/587 number with a SK/MB plan, just hoping I don't get audited haha.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast